U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 01:00 PM

1,961 posts, read 3,746,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
Not surprising in any way. Even less surprising is that the UHP doesn't authorize speeding and speeders get pulled over in all lanes. But I'm curious. Has anybody ever heard of somebody actually being pulled over for going to slowly or tailgating? (I don't count some obvious psychotic going 25 mph on the interstate)
I vaguely remember some news story, probably a few years ago about someone being pulled over for going 60 in the left lane on I-15. But I could be remembering something someone told me first hand too. At any rate, its something that sticks out in my mind, because it was something I thought was terrific - since really slow drives are often just as bad as the too fast drivers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2013, 04:19 PM

5,317 posts, read 10,997,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
(I don't count some obvious psychotic going 25 mph on the interstate)
A lighthearted story, to perk anybody up ...

UHP officer follows a car going really slow on the freeway ...
He stops them and finds 4 sweet old grey-haired women in the car.
He asks:
Anything wrong Madam ?
Driver, all shook up and trembling says:
Was I driving too fast ?
UHP: No ma'm, you were driving 15 mph !
Driver: But ... , that is what I saw a while back ?
UHP: What kind of sign was it ?
Driver: a blue one !
UHP: that is the number of the State route Ma'm, it means you are on I-15 !
Driver: Oh my gosh, we just turned off from I-215 ...

Utah Drivers !!

Old 08-04-2013, 08:23 PM

20 posts, read 120,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easternerDC View Post
Here is a quote from the handy-dandy web site I found thanks to Southern Belle:

What do I do if other motorists drive too slow or too fast in the Express Lanes?
Follow the speed limit. The Express Lane is not a passing lane. The speed limit on I-15 is 65 mph and the majority of traffic is flowing at this speed. UDOT and the Utah Highway Patrol do not authorize vehicles to travel at speeds faster than the posted speed limit.
The Utah Highway Patrol watches specifically for motorists who are driving too slow, driving too fast, tailgating or exhibiting other Express Lane violations. This includes drivers in the general-purpose lanes who fail to allow drivers in the Express Lanes to merge.
Well in my two years of living here, I've never seen it used for anything other than a passing lane, and I've never seen anyone pulled over.

"Express," as an adjective, is literally defined as operating at a high speed, and that's how it functions on 15.

It is what it is, regardless of what UDOT says; OP, drive how you feel comfortably--that's clearly not in the Express Lane.

On that note, I do sympathize with the commute. I hate it. There is perpetual construction and/or accidents.

Old 08-04-2013, 09:46 PM

Am I right in assuming that the Express Lanes, used to be called HOV lanes ?
But, you can buy a *Pass*, and then you can drive in that lane as a single driver.

Old 08-05-2013, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
Am I right in assuming that the Express Lanes, used to be called HOV lanes ?
But, you can buy a *Pass*, and then you can drive in that lane as a single driver.
I have not lived here long enough to have seen those days, but from what I've heard, yes, that's how it was. Also worth noting that motorcycles can use the lane without restriction. The changes were made to alleviate traffic problems, promote carpooling, and to create a minor source of revenue.

As it pertains to the thread, logically speaking, there's no reason anyone would pay to use a lane unless they reasonably expected to go faster in it.

Old 08-05-2013, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahGrad View Post
there's no reason anyone would pay to use a lane unless they reasonably expected to go faster in it.
About what I think of when I have to *pay* for that *privilege*.

<<<expected to go faster>>>
Faster than what ?
If you start with the *official* speed limit,
then about the only time you could go *faster*,
is at the peak traffic hours.

Somewhere, I feel that the HOV lanes, *only for cars with 2 or more people in it*,
were good for what they originally were intended for.

I do not drive the *freeways* that much anymore (now happily retired for quite a while),
but when I do and that is usually whenever, so not just at the same time of the day,
I do not really see that many *two or more people in cars* in those lanes.
When I do drive the freeways, I usually drive 65 on the second from the right lane.
On I-15, the first right lane often turns into an *exit only* lane ...
Never have found that cars are actually *going around me*.
Maybe one or two, and often I have to slow down a bit.

Thus, the *please form carpools* suggestion is about gone now.
It is now a cash cow in essence.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/30771505-post9.html

I do remember that that were carpool programmes, that you could join,
and those carpools were more or less formed by big companies.
Are there still programmes like that running ?

Old 08-05-2013, 01:16 PM

Quote:
About what I think of when I have to *pay* for that *privilege*.
I do remember that that were carpool programmes, that you could join,
and those carpools were more or less formed by big companies.
Are there still programmes like that running ?
I'm not too sure. I've just graduated from the U of U and had lived on campus for all but one year, so I never was never exposed to any sort of car pooling suggestions...however, all students (and I believe staff/faculty) are given free access to TRAX, FrontRunner, and all of the UDOT Busses. I guess it's not technically "carpooling," but with 35,000 or so bodies on campus during the academic year, it's got to have an impact on highway traffic.

I'm from the east coast originally, and we had HOV lanes when I was growing up, but you'd see maybe 1-2 cars, plus emergency vehicles on the ~10 mile stretch of I-80 that I did (you couldn't pay to be over there, you needed to be carpooling). Needless to say, they said to hell with it and just turned it into a 5-lane highway; that's effectively what I-15 is today.

Usually it's...

| 80 MPH | 75 MPH | 65 MPH | 60 MPH | 50 MPH |

I really think the whole system is absurd. I think the original implementation of HOV lanes was a noble one, as you alluded to, but I'm wondering why they decided to implement the "pay-to-speed" system; is it really THAT much of a revenue? With the gas prices and air quality as bad as they are here, you'd think the idea of a true carpooling lane would be unilaterally popular. I think we're a pretty progressive city.

Old 08-05-2013, 02:44 PM

Quote:
they decided to implement the "pay-to-speed" system; is it really THAT much of a revenue?
It is, when you read my other post

Just having the two or more HOV system, does not get anything in the city coffers.
Using *your money* and getting compounded daily interest does !

It is a similar system as what on-line, or catalogue ordering could do if you set it up right (to your advantage)
All you have to do is deposit the purchase price, then tell the buyer it take a few days *to clear* your check credit card charge.
Keep in mind that it is not just you who deposits the purchase price, but a gazillion more buyers ...

Back to Car pool or Vanpool ...
I googled:
carpool possibilities in Salt Lake City
and found some possibilities, but I really wonder if it is extensively used ?

Old 08-05-2013, 03:18 PM

Quote:
It is, when you read my other post

Just having the two or more HOV system, does not get anything in the city coffers.
Using *your money* and getting compounded daily interest does !

It is a similar system as what on-line, or catalogue ordering could do if you set it up right (to your advantage)
All you have to do is deposit the purchase price, then tell the buyer it take a few days *to clear* your check credit card charge.
Keep in mind that it is not just you who deposits the purchase price, but a gazillion more buyers ...

Back to Car pool or Vanpool ...
I googled:
carpool possibilities in Salt Lake City
and found some possibilities, but I really wonder if it is extensively used ?
Even as a business major and even with your detailed explanation, I can't quite wrap my head around that policy (and I'm beginning to think that it was intended to be that way!)

Anyway, you seem to think that it is a good revenue mechanism, but the way I was framing my question, I was wondering how many people actually buy these things? The lane to the immediate right of the HOV is often at a comparable speed to the HOV; why would someone purposely buy that pass??? Is it the sense of security from being inside the double-white? No, really, I just can't imagine many people buying them.

The only thing I can think of is that our residents are vehemently against carpooling and going green to the point that putting a price tag on the lane became a necessity out of the fact that it wasn't being used at all (but again, I wasn't around before the change, so I'm guessing).

Old 08-05-2013, 07:06 PM

Quote:
I was wondering how many people actually buy these things? The lane to the immediate right of the HOV is often at a comparable speed to the HOV; why would someone purposely buy that pass???
Next time watch how many two or more people in the car drive that special lane, compared to single occupant vehicles ...

I have a friend who has one of these Toyota Prius cars, with the special license plate on it.
I asked, if they use the HOV lanes often. Their answer was, *Nope, no need to yet ...*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area