Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 10:16 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,355,784 times

Advertisements

Read some of my Portland posts. Portland is a challenge for me. I'm currently here, temporarily.

HOWEVER, between the two, Portland, hands down.

In Portland, you have the liberal granola factor. But they are largely inconsequential to your life, just an irritant, because granolas generally carry no clout -- they're trying to make a statement of some sort with their non-mainstream appearance and behavior. In Salt Lake, you have the Mormon factor. They can be nepotistic, so that is a force you might have to contend with, in social situations but more importantly in employment settings. WAAAAYYYY too many people recount stories of the employment scenario.

In Portland, it is damp, so it always feels cool and fresh. In SLC, it is bone dry so it's bad for your skin, your sinuses and SLC/Denver/Reno have a lot of static electricity because of the dryness (zap...ouch).

In Portland, you can drive 90 minutes and see the Pacific Ocean. In SLC, well, good luck.

In Portland, there are a lot of unattractive women. It's scary. Moderator cut: partial cut

For a transplanted moderate Catholic professional (myself), I would pick Portland in a heartbeat over SLC.

Last edited by jeannie216; 01-05-2009 at 07:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2008, 10:23 AM

1,821 posts, read 7,729,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post

In Portland, you can drive 90 minutes and see the Pacific Ocean. In SLC, well, good luck.
I’ve got you beat … I can see the Great Salt Lake from my work and be to the "beach" in 10 minutes

Old 01-21-2008, 02:06 PM

16 posts, read 73,387 times
We have never been in Portland, but we lived in Salt Lake City for several years, and miss it greatly. If you love film, you are at the perfect spot in Salt Lake, because Sundance shows its films in Park City, a gorgeous former mining town a half hour up some hills; and Sundance shows a lot of them in Salt Lake City itself, easier to go to and avoid the crowds. And the film loving spills over all year into Salt Lake; you can find a theater that shows new animated shorts, indie films, all year; there is a theater you can pay a dollar to see fairly recent new releases.

Old 01-27-2008, 03:02 PM

186 posts, read 569,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catrinac View Post
I doubt very seriously the city planners can undo the damage of the social control experiment known as the Mormon Church.
It's unfotunate that your logic is twisted here. Without the Mormon Church, there would be no Salt Lake City whatsoever and that cannot be ignored. Would you consider the Vatican to be a control experiement? No, you wouldn't. Think about it more.

Old 12-24-2008, 05:06 AM

1 posts, read 4,201 times
For a new job, we have the choice between Portland or Salt Lake City. We are not LDS but do attend chuch. We have four children ...13,10, 7 ,7 . We live in Cary, NC which is a wonderful place....lots of kids / family things to do and lots of beautiful trees. we are close to the beach, which we love. We are not used to snow,,,but it could be fine. Does anyone have any thoughts on which is better to raise a family..good schools, etc.???????much appreciated.

Old 12-24-2008, 08:20 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,798,569 times
Our schools are over-crowded by news reports, but I don't have children here so this is by what Ir ead in the newspaper. Some who moved here complained about their kids being ahead of the class - search this forum on schools and you'll see a lot of different opinions. I love the cleaness of Utah compared to many other Eastern or Southern cities and I love the dry air. It took my skin about 6 months to start producing more oil and since then I rarely use lotion; at first it was lotion 3 times a day! But dry heat is easier to take than wet heat. There are a lot fo kids here and many family-type things. There are public indoor pools in most areas of the city and swimming while watching it snow is magical. I think they all have kids' pools like the one I go to has, warmer and full of fountains and buckets that spill, etc. My grandkids are fascinated by that pool!

Old 12-24-2008, 11:16 AM

515 posts, read 2,323,073 times
I don't have kids & don't know about the schools, but here are some differences that I'm aware of:

-Portland is more expensive, more liberal and more "green" (in every sense of the word).
-The weather in Portland is an issue for some - it drizzles just about all winter, although this year they have some snow as well as the rain. For me who likes sunshine, Portland was not a consideration, even though it's a great city.
-Portland is not nearly as hot in the summer as SLC.
-Air quality is better in Portland. Smog gets trapped in the valley in SLC (bad for asthma).
-The mountains are much closer and more accessible in SLC than Portland. If you have an interest in skiing, SLC is far superior.
-Some people find the LDS culture to be an issue/problem. I am not religious at all, but to me it's no big deal.
-I believe the economy and job market are better in Salt Lake.

So it all depends on what you are looking for, as to which is a better choice.

Old 12-26-2008, 04:01 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,125,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tscrilla View Post
Without the Mormon Church, there would be no Salt Lake City whatsoever and that cannot be ignored.
What do you call the Native Americans who were there LONG before mormons?

History of Salt Lake City in more detail.
Native Americans lived in the Great Salt Lake Valley for thousands of years before white settlement. The Shoshone, Ute, and Paiute peoples were among those Native Americans living in the area when the Mormons entered the area in July 1847.

Oh eventually there would have been new americans there. Just like every other western city, if some new americans settled Las Vegas- someone would have settled Salt Lake City.

It wouldn't be the same set-up as it is now(would that be so bad?), but it would be settled.

Last edited by Taboo2; 12-26-2008 at 04:14 PM..

Old 12-26-2008, 05:41 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,798,569 times
Sure it would have been settled but it wouldn't have the same flavor and set-up it does. I like the wide straight streets and the easy naming concept so you never get lost. I like the family-friendly atmosphere. I like the lack of crime in many areas (I know, it's bad in some places). I like the polite and friendly people. I like the climate. And I've only lived here 7 yrs and am not LDS>

Old 12-29-2008, 02:54 PM

203 posts, read 720,330 times
After living in SLC for 10 years, and being raised in the pacific northwest (from seattle to eugene) i would MUCH rather be living where i am now, which is Seattle. I would recommend Portland over SLC, hands down. Portland is a lot more "actually" friendly from my perspective. While i was in SLC i found a larger percentage of "phony" friendly people than i ever encountered anywhere else i've lived. (which includes, CO, AK, OR, WA, and of course UT). Night life is at least 75% better in OR than UT due to bar/club/alcohol/etc laws and regulations. This is only my opinion though. SLC is an EASY place to get a job. Portland would be more competitive, i'm sure. I know Seattle sure is. Each city has its own set of issues you must acclimate yourself to. Due to the fact i remember little about living in vancouver and portland, i can't say much for what you'd face there, but Utah has very high taxes, especially in the SLC area, considering you dole out 5% of your wages in state income tax, and sales tax on EVERYTHING is at least 6%.. this includes unprepared food. In WA (might i suggest vancouver, just across the river from portland?) sales tax is high (9.6% in the seattle area, but no tax on food), and you pay no state income taxes. Washington typically has higher wages, and lower taxes which is why i returned. I'm not sure about OR, although a little online research would tell you plenty about that.

I know i just dumped a whole lot of nonsense into this post, but.. eh, that's how it came out of my head. I've stated my opinions as well as some facts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area