U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2013, 11:09 AM

2 posts, read 2,907 times

Advertisements

My family is looking to move within 30 minutes of downtown SLC for my husband's job from an agricultural area in Southern Idaho. We know we won't get the acreage we'd like, but we would like a community feel in our neighborhood with a nice mix of people from all backgrounds, religions, and ages. Good schools are important to me (we have three kids, ages 9-12), and I'd rather not be the poorest person on the block (we'll make in the low $100,000 range). Safety and low crime are high on the list. We're looking to buy a 4+ bedroom home and could spend up to $400,000, although we'd rather spend closer to $300,000 if possible. I'm not adverse to an older home, but my husband won't have tons of time (or inclination) to fix it up.

We're leaving a town where we're heavily involved in community service, and we'd love a place where we can get involved even though we're new. I've looked everywhere from Stansbury Park to Bountiful to Sandy to Pleasant Grove....I'd love your thoughts and suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2013, 11:39 AM

1,961 posts, read 3,746,962 times
My husband and I just put an offer on a home in Layton. That would be a place you may want to look into. It is in the Davis county school district, and the majority of the schools are very good.

Layton may fit the bill for what you are looking for.

Old 08-16-2013, 12:25 PM

2,447 posts, read 5,895,978 times
I live in Stansbury Park and love it! School are good and it is a very welcoming community. I also agree that Layton is very nice!

Old 08-17-2013, 07:34 PM

57 posts, read 121,404 times
We moved to Sandy last month and LOVE it so far!

Old 08-31-2013, 01:00 AM

6 posts, read 6,283 times
From my experience (living in Salt Lake for over 10 years) I would recommend West Jordan or Taylorsville. The communities are a tad bit older, but they both have great community involvement opportunities and good schools. In both of these neighborhoods with your income, you'd be middle of the road with the other people that live there. Both places also have a good mix of all religions, cultures, and ages, and have a lot of families with kids. In my opinion, between the two, West Jordan would be a better option safety wise, just because Taylorsville borders a couple parts of town that have had problems in the past. A 4+ bedroom house with a decent sized lot (0.3-0.5 acre) would be very doable within $300 and $400K there as well. Another couple of options with the same kind of people, culture, and community involvement would be Riverton, Midvale, or Murray. And out of those three, Murray or Riverton would have the best schools.

Hope this helped! Let me know if you have any other questions, I'd love to help.

Old 08-31-2013, 08:52 PM

5,317 posts, read 10,997,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuffany View Post
I would recommend West Jordan or Taylorsville.
West Jordan would be OK, for 90% of the areas, but Taylorsville (I live there, and the average home value is probably in the low 500K!, where I am), does have some questionable areas, when you are *in the wrong place* ...

Old 08-31-2013, 10:43 PM

21,864 posts, read 21,987,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
West Jordan would be OK, for 90% of the areas, but Taylorsville (I live there, and the average home value is probably in the low 500K!, where I am), does have some questionable areas, when you are *in the wrong place* ...
The average home price in Taylorsville is $500K? Who on earth do you expect to believe that, irman?

Old 08-31-2013, 11:33 PM

5,317 posts, read 10,997,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
The average home price in Taylorsville is $500K? Who on earth do you expect to believe that, irman?
I should have been more specific. I did say *where I am* ...

The street I live on has these humongous homes. It used to be some farm and our house was the original home of the owner.
Strange thing is that you see very little families with kids around our street.
Just like *us*, a bunch of *old* mostly retired people.
There is one place, that even has 7 garages ... I mean how many do you really need ?

Across from those megahomes, is a fairly new neighbourhood, and those homes go for a minimum of 375K ...

Last edited by irman; 08-31-2013 at 11:46 PM..

Old 09-03-2013, 01:31 PM

16 posts, read 28,542 times
To OP--Sugar House comes to mind. It is likely too far of a drive for you, but you may be able to get the acreage you are after, the community feel, and good schools by looking in Midway and Heber City (45 minutes commute though, at least). You can certainly find some decent buys by looking in the Snyderville Basin/Kimball Junction area of Park City as well, and their school system is very well regarded. Good luck.

Old 09-03-2013, 02:26 PM

2 posts, read 2,907 times
Thanks so much for your input! We are incoming next month and will check out homes in the areas listed. We'll rent for a year or so to get a better idea of where we'd like to settle, so if anyone has any fantastic rentals in their neighborhood, please let me know!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area