U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 02:10 PM

21,955 posts, read 22,099,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
You might reflect on your rather pointed and unhelpful response before commenting on my sarcasm.

But to the point: I already know about lots of the good Utah stuff. Doubtless I'll discover more. But I'm also interested in what's not good or what will be troublesome so I can evaluate whether it's worth it or not. I'm not big on just accepting "how it is" at face value. It's also important for me to explore the reasons behind why things are as they are. This helps me evaluate how much of the goofy stuff I can avoid and how much I can't. That's why I'd never consider St George or Heber, for example. It's part of my due diligence. I'm not concerned about being politically correct. In the process some feathers may get ruffled.
Well, mine certainly aren't. I actually do hope you like it here. It just seems like a pretty big move to make when the area seems to have so many drawbacks. I mean Colorado, for instance, is a lot like Utah in many ways -- without many of the negatives you've found about Utah while doing your homework.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2013, 03:22 PM

2,406 posts, read 5,247,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Well, mine certainly aren't. I actually do hope you like it here. It just seems like a pretty big move to make when the area seems to have so many drawbacks. I mean Colorado, for instance, is a lot like Utah in many ways -- without many of the negatives you've found about Utah while doing your homework.
For every negative there are 5 positives. It's the negatives I want to find so I know what to expect. Culture shock is much harder when you think it will be easy and find it's hard than the reverse. I've lived all over the world and know this first hand. Whatever all the negatives of Utah may be Colorado has drawbacks of its own, just different ones. For starters, we are interested in living in a city, not a college town or resort, and that means Denver. Denver vs SLC? SLC wins. I actually have close friends in both places and on balance Utah looks much better.

That said, the LDS angle is unique to UT and I think it colors perceptions and reaction, sometimes out of proportion. The LDS impact on Utah's prevailing culture, laws and practices has obviously been enormous. And I think that colors outsiders perceptions (easy to "blame" LDS culture for failure to assimilate, whether legitimate or not) and LDS perceptions of outsiders (insular, closed community - defensive when criticism is perceived "If you don't like it go somewhere else" etc).

Old 08-27-2013, 07:09 PM

2,447 posts, read 5,913,653 times
Maybe the MIL part is to help ones children. They tend to marry young and I think many people set up their homes to give them a place to live while they save for their own place. I married young too and my husband and I had to fend for ourselves, but hey...different strokes.

While looking at homes, I also noticed that many places had extremely garish colors. Not what I would pick, but if you like the floor plan and the price is right, it is ONLY cosmetics. Paint is easily enough changed.

Old 08-29-2013, 09:38 AM

1,961 posts, read 3,757,828 times
We will hopefully be moving to Layton in the next 5-6 weeks. The home we decided on has horrible paint colors. Red, and I mean RED in the master bedroom. The other bedrooms are bright pink, bright lavender, and turquoise. Horrible. There will be a lot of painting to do before we move. I definitely don't get it. I prefer more natural/neutral colors.

However, like katydid said, its just paint/cosmetic.

Old 08-29-2013, 10:52 AM

465 posts, read 425,827 times
Speaking of cultural difference, I and my wife were somewhat offended by the term MIL part as there were definitely below par and somewhat pejorative towards the mother-in-law. We, by principle, rejected any property advertising a MIL apartment.

In our recently concluded search, we found that (a) houses were too big - for a couple without children - with 4000 sq ft being the low end of square footage (except in Avenues), (b) included huge basement footage that was generally not uplifting. A few were tastefully done, but most were just slapping on sq ft - may be for a big family. The prevailing local building style did not match our sensibilities and we ended up with a search that lasted about a year. After seeing a few, we ended up skipping anything called a rambler, which was the most popular style. Saw a lot of places but don't think our observations matched k..man, but it is possible that we were observing different things. The areas we looked at were Olympus Cove, East Benches, Arlington Heights and upper Avenues, as we liked the elevation.

Moving from a 3000 sq ft home, we ended up downsizing to a 1600 sq ft condo and donating or otherwise discarding truck-load of belongs. Very happy with where we ended up.

Old 08-29-2013, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
Speaking of cultural difference, I and my wife were somewhat offended by the term MIL part as there were definitely below par and somewhat pejorative towards the mother-in-law. We, by principle, rejected any property advertising a MIL apartment.

In our recently concluded search, we found that (a) houses were too big - for a couple without children - with 4000 sq ft being the low end of square footage (except in Avenues), (b) included huge basement footage that was generally not uplifting. A few were tastefully done, but most were just slapping on sq ft - may be for a big family. The prevailing local building style did not match our sensibilities and we ended up with a search that lasted about a year. After seeing a few, we ended up skipping anything called a rambler, which was the most popular style. Saw a lot of places but don't think our observations matched k..man, but it is possible that we were observing different things. The areas we looked at were Olympus Cove, East Benches, Arlington Heights and upper Avenues, as we liked the elevation.

Moving from a 3000 sq ft home, we ended up downsizing to a 1600 sq ft condo and donating or otherwise discarding truck-load of belongs. Very happy with where we ended up.
thanks, interesting indeed! I have a feeling we may end up doing the same - go condo. I'm betting that the condo is about the same size as all those 3000 sq footers minus the sub par basement space? We too seem to have a problem with the size. It seems like the kind of amenities we're after heads into the $400k+ range, but then the size spirals out of control. We don't need or want 3200 sq ft with 6 bedrooms (which would have to be tiny in any case). And inevitably half that size is basement/subgrade. Here anything subgrade isn't counted as living space at all, just "finished basement." In fairness UT is dry and I doubt that mildew and moisture create issues like in the northeast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
The prevailing local building style did not match our sensibilities...
Can you elaborate? And where were you coming from?

Old 08-29-2013, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easternerDC View Post
I prefer more natural/neutral colors.

However, like katydid said, its just paint/cosmetic.
Us too. True enough, paint is cheap. But my issue is that it's still something that needs to be dealt with when the colors are like you described, and an amazing number seem to be. I just don't want to do that. Unfortunately that reduces the pool of otherwise good candidate houses. Too bad for the sellers IMO (hopefully some of them read this forum, hint-hint)

Old 08-29-2013, 01:30 PM

34 posts, read 56,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
sub par basement space?
We just moved here in October (wow almost a year!) from Orlando, FL (no basements there!) from a 1900 sqft house. We moved into an apartment first (short-lived since we hated the proximity to people and a lack of yard) then a home in Draper on South Mountain.

At the time it was $385K for 3,600 sqft including a finished basement. 5 beds, 3 baths, but the basement only has 2 bedrooms (1 "bedroom" that I made into an office/theater room) and a nice large open area for... at the moment nothing.

We love it, only 2 adults and 2 dogs and don't plan on any kids. A little more pricey and definitely more space than what we need, but we figured we're paying for the area more than anything.

A lot of the homes we looked at did divvy up the basement too much to support tons of kids. We finally found one we liked when the basement wasn't cut up so much. We also went with a rambler, I didn't want a house with 3 levels total and I wanted to be able to walk out from the first floor into the backyard. Lots of houses had big patios you had to walk down to get to the backyard or you can go straight out from the walkout basement.

Old 08-29-2013, 01:49 PM

465 posts, read 425,827 times
The size problem you mention is precisely what stumped us. As for basement footage, I understand the whole dry climate thing butI do not find basement to be a place where we would want to spend time in. Sure, there were one or two places where basement was an attractive space, but those were close to 1M in price...

Good observation about the storage space. We happened to luck out and buy a condo that has twice the storage space than others, and have more space than we know what to do with. Also, we do not need to gardening supplies and a few other things, so the space requirements also receded.

The most interesting thing was that one factor which was not on our radar early on became a decisive factor. And, that was having a view. And, the breathtaking view we have from our condo is the single biggest source of joy for us.

On the building style, I was alluding to a combination of things: (1) the rambler style often with large basement footage did not appeal to us and that seemed to be everywhere, (2) the overly large houses. We had a craftsman style house before and loved that style, but it is not easily found here. In the end, we limited our search to modern/contemporary style. The problem then became that due to the location preference (for close to the University and at high elevation), it was slim pickings - and often (too) large footprint accompanied by a large price. In the end, our decision for buying a condo was also to avoid the yard-work and maintenance (something my wife liked - until she changed her mind) and spend more time out in the nature.

Old 08-29-2013, 02:56 PM

40 posts, read 115,056 times
We moved here from KS. It is just the two of us and a little 5 pound dog and we ended up buying a 6 bedroom, 3 bath house on Stansbury Lake. Loved the view. Loved the house. We don't use the basement much (and it DOES have a huge master suite down there and a full kitchen). We basically live upstairs. Nice to have the downstairs though when company comes or to watch movies.

This house had one bright neon pink bedroom. We just put in the contract that it would be professionally painted the same color as the rest of the house (neutral sand color). Seller could have rejected but he didn't and we moved into a house we didn't have to paint. Not sure that would fly with an entire house painted in loud colors, but you certainly could try. If they want to sell it bad enough, they will swallow the cost to have a professional painter come in.

Also, most houses will have a 'cold storage' room. That is certainly unique to Utah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area