U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 04:46 PM

19,815 posts, read 55,790,617 times

Advertisements

Many houses with swamp coolers gave a basement bedroom for the summer.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2013, 05:04 PM

2,399 posts, read 5,222,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdb5853 View Post
This house had one bright neon pink bedroom. We just put in the contract that it would be professionally painted the same color as the rest of the house (neutral sand color). Seller could have rejected but he didn't and we moved into a house we didn't have to paint. Not sure that would fly with an entire house painted in loud colors, but you certainly could try. If they want to sell it bad enough, they will swallow the cost to have a professional painter come in.
Great suggestion. I never think about that kind of stuff.

Old 08-29-2013, 06:20 PM

1,224 posts, read 3,005,909 times
kletter1man,

Depending on where you are looking at, there are many new subdivisions and the houses run from 1800 sq feet to 4000 sq feet. Utah is a great state, it just takes adjustment and getting use to just like anywhere else, hope you really like it here.

Old 08-29-2013, 07:20 PM

498 posts, read 1,234,939 times
Finding a large number of homes with unhooded cooktops and bright &/or neon colors does seem odd. I think DIY renovations are quite common, so perhaps that has something to do with it. I personally would not look at something like paint color as a determining factor in a house. It's probably one of the easiest ways to personalize a space. That's just me. If I were selling my house, I wouldn't bother painting it because it just seems unnecessary; the new owners would likely change the colors if the walls were blank white canvases, anyway.

As for 'MIL' apartments, there are many benefits of having one, or a similar setup. A second kitchen can be really useful to a large family. The added storage and flexibility can be a major convenience. I know a lot of people use them to entertain, often in conjunction with home theaters which are usually in the basement. A lot of people put them in simply because they have this vast, empty space, and nothing to put in it. A second kitchen or apartment adds to the flexibility/value of the house. It can be rented out, or used for aging parents or children. No doubt it's common.

Old 08-29-2013, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamborgotti View Post
Finding a large number of homes with unhooded cooktops and bright &/or neon colors does seem odd. I think DIY renovations are quite common, so perhaps that has something to do with it. I personally would not look at something like paint color as a determining factor in a house. It's probably one of the easiest ways to personalize a space. That's just me. If I were selling my house, I wouldn't bother painting it because it just seems unnecessary; the new owners would likely change the colors if the walls were blank white canvases, anyway.
To be clear, there don't seem to be large numbers of unhooded cooktops, but there seem to be enough to notice that they aren't rare - which is a surprise. I wouldn't expect to see any at all.

As for the colors - yes, odd. Sure, paint is cheap. But putting a house on the market that will almost certainly cause the new owner to repaint flies in the face of all real estate advice. Unless those colors actually do sell locally.

FWIW, I'm now prepping my house for sale and I'm repainting every single room in neutral colors (which they were to begin with). Why? All the real estate selling wisdom says that this will appeal to the broadest slice of the market. Nobody that likes purple rooms expects to find their dream house already painted purple, they expect to repaint. But everybody else will be turned off by the place that is already purple. With neutral colors nobody feels compelled to repaint immediately. The reverse isn't the case so it strikes me as odd.

Maybe real estate value and skin in the game have something to do with it. My taxes are $12k and that's cheap for this part of the world. Housing prices are easily 3x what I see in SLC, so maybe people are willing to go father to prep their house.

Old 08-30-2013, 12:19 PM

5,000 posts, read 14,434,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
...Maybe real estate value and skin in the game have something to do with it. My taxes are $12k and that's cheap for this part of the world. Housing prices are easily 3x what I see in SLC, so maybe people are willing to go father to prep their house.
I don't know what part of the world you are in, but perhaps our prices are 3x lower here because our wages (or Cost of Living) or both are lower.

Old 08-30-2013, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggalegga View Post
I don't know what part of the world you are in, but perhaps our prices are 3x lower here because our wages (or Cost of Living) or both are lower.
Or possibly the reverse?

Cost of living in SLC is pretty much average nationally as far as I can tell. I'm in Westchester county (NYC region). Extremely high cost of living. Wages higher too, but not in proportion. Cali transplants from OC, Bay area etc all say that NY COL is substantially worse than Cali when taxes are factored in. Of course the flip side is that everywhere else seems cheap in comparison! I could go on and on.....

Old 08-31-2013, 09:32 PM

5,320 posts, read 11,003,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
I could go on and on.....
Please do not ...
We know it is bad here, but;
- People are willing to put up with the *ODD* stuff in Utah,
- People are willing to put up with *noisy kids*,
- People are willing to put up with *funny alcohol laws*,
- People are willing to put up with *locals shunning them*,
etc, etc,
I could go on and on ... ... Oops ...

When we moved here umpteen years ago, (my wive is from here),
I actually hated it ...
I even contemplated going to the border south of St, George, and adding:
*Time Change, set your clock back 30 years* , to the *Welcome To Utah* sign !
Then I got used to everything and today would not live anywhere else !

You complain about funny built houses ...
When I found our home, it had pink curtains in the kitchen and a pink counter top ...
But, the outside walls are 10 inches think and solid brick !
Really stays cool in hot summers ! The roof *overhang* is 2.5 feet minimum !
All the inside walls are 6 inches thick and are all lath and plaster, no dumb cheapo gypsum boards !
My neighbours are at least 32 feet away from me on the sides, in the back about 75 feet ! !
The house is a split level, triple decker, to use a funny term, but for some strange reason the rise of all the stairs is only six (6) inches !
Weird when we moved in but we love it now !
In most homes that darn stair going down to the basement is often a safety hazard, in my opinion.
Talk about a steep stairway !
In addition to the *strange* stuff, all the rooms were wall papered !
I can park 9 cars easily in my driveway !
Only one drawback --- it takes me close to an hour to mow the lawn ...
Some day, I will buy me a riding lawnmower/snowplow ...
Do not even ask me how long it takes me to plow the snow ... !

Like you mentioned K'''mann, many plusses but always some obnoxious negatives.
Like no gas available, all electric home with ceiling heat.
Yikes !, so not possible to add AC !! (The house is over 60 years old !)

So, put aside your complaints, get here, keep a smile on your face all the time so people will always wonder what you are up to, and make the best of it.
And most of all, do not ever tell us how much better it was where you came from !
You do that, we may not say it in your face, but we will sure think of telling to go back there !

Last edited by irman; 08-31-2013 at 09:49 PM..

Old 08-31-2013, 10:20 PM

2,447 posts, read 5,898,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
And most of all, do not ever tell us how much better it was where you came from !
You do that, we may not say it in your face, but we will sure think of telling to go back there !

Old 09-01-2013, 06:35 AM

You guys seem pretty thin skinned. Why all the rage? If it was so great here why would I be leaving?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area