U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 09:51 PM

57 posts, read 121,486 times

Advertisements

I can't speak to Park City versus Daybreak (we really wanted to get into Daybreak when we moved here a couple of months ago but it didn't happen), but I can speak to the LDS versus non-LDS thing. We moved to a really great neighborhood in Sandy and we are quite literally the only non-LDS family in our immediate area. My kids are 7 and 9-years old and we have had nothing but positive experiences with our LDS neighbors. They have welcomed us completely, included us in all of their neighborhood gatherings, and never discuss religion unless we bring it up (we're curious about the Mormon culture - this is all new to us). Typically, I'm sure there are extremist LDS members out there and I'm sure my experience wouldn't have been the same if they lived next door to us, but it has been my experience so far that LDS versus non-LDS is most often a nonissue. Good luck! We love Utah!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2013, 11:46 PM

56 posts, read 127,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphlette View Post
Hi Kaizmama,

We moved to Park City from the East Coast last year. I have never been to Daybreak, but here's some info on Park City.

- we have been very happy with the public schools. beautiful physical facilities, responsive and skilled staff, great resources for the kids (i.e. free mac air for each 6th grader to use at home, smart board in every classroom, mac's in the classroom, musical instruments, etc). maybe you could save the $ and transportation hassle of private school and go public.
- you will have many nice neighborhoods to choose from in the $800K range i.e. Jeremy Ranch, Ranch Place, Silver Spring, Pinebrook. I'm not sure about building a home for that price, I don't have info on that.
- this town is one big playground for kids and adults. there is a great swim team and aquatic facility at Ecker Middle School,karate clubs, gymnastics places. whatever you need.
- there is a Whole Foods in Park City. and one Trader Joe's about 30 minutes from Park City in SLC
- we have found the town to be as liberal/progressive as the east coast. but not a lot of racial/ethnic diversity. I believe that the public schools are 25% hispanic, and a well-regarded dual language program (both Spanish and French) is offered for incoming K students.
- the alcohol rules here are very odd

you should also check if the inversion problem is a factor in Daybreak. it hasn't been an issue in Park City. good luck!
Hi Murphlette,

Thanks so much for your response- exactly what I was looking for!
I just have to get used to the 'older' homes... a lot of them look too cabin-y for my taste... remodeling is definitely an option.
And yes to the alcohol rules... I need to get used to that! I was on day 5 during my Park City visit and was invited to a little get together. I literally rolled my cart around Whole Foods in circles for 10 minutes until I was like "ohhhh yeah! there won't be a 'wine section' in this Whole Foods "

Do you by chance know the teacher to child ration in the PC public schools?

Thank you!

Old 09-05-2013, 08:14 AM

10 posts, read 16,307 times
At our school, the student teacher ratio is 25-1. Each Kindergarten class also has a paraprofessional.

Old 09-05-2013, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraBeth07 View Post
I can't speak to Park City versus Daybreak (we really wanted to get into Daybreak when we moved here a couple of months ago but it didn't happen), but I can speak to the LDS versus non-LDS thing. We moved to a really great neighborhood in Sandy and we are quite literally the only non-LDS family in our immediate area. My kids are 7 and 9-years old and we have had nothing but positive experiences with our LDS neighbors. They have welcomed us completely, included us in all of their neighborhood gatherings, and never discuss religion unless we bring it up (we're curious about the Mormon culture - this is all new to us). Typically, I'm sure there are extremist LDS members out there and I'm sure my experience wouldn't have been the same if they lived next door to us, but it has been my experience so far that LDS versus non-LDS is most often a nonissue. Good luck! We love Utah!
SaraBeth- thank you so much for sharing your experience! That is good to know. I will read experiences like yours and feel like I'd have no problem being amongst majority LDS or even 50/50. But then, I will hear 1st hand from someone non LDS who was raised amongst a lot or majority LDS and they will be adement that I don't want to "put my kids through that."

It really is more about my children. I have a very unique experience being a caucasian person raised as somewhat of a minority in Hawaii (more so in my younger years- by highschool it was more mixed.) And my husband has always felt like an "other" (ethnically).

Would really love to hear more from others- positive or not so much. I know there are a ton of threads going back and forth on the LDS/non LDS experience but I am hoping to hear more from people TODAY, who specifically live in Daybreak or nearby areas.

And would also still love to hear from PC'ers!

Thanks everyone!

Old 09-05-2013, 12:00 PM

19 posts, read 43,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaizmama View Post
SaraBeth- thank you so much for sharing your experience! That is good to know. I will read experiences like yours and feel like I'd have no problem being amongst majority LDS or even 50/50. But then, I will hear 1st hand from someone non LDS who was raised amongst a lot or majority LDS and they will be adement that I don't want to "put my kids through that."

It really is more about my children. I have a very unique experience being a caucasian person raised as somewhat of a minority in Hawaii (more so in my younger years- by highschool it was more mixed.) And my husband has always felt like an "other" (ethnically).

Would really love to hear more from others- positive or not so much. I know there are a ton of threads going back and forth on the LDS/non LDS experience but I am hoping to hear more from people TODAY, who specifically live in Daybreak or nearby areas.

And would also still love to hear from PC'ers!

Thanks everyone!
My wife and I are in the same boat as you Kaizmama, we keep hearing of all these horror stories about children feeling ostracized and shunned but then we read a post like SaraBeth's and it makes it very confusing. However, we are looking into the Sandy Draper area. Good luck!

Old 09-05-2013, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbyt801 View Post
My wife and I are in the same boat as you Kaizmama, we keep hearing of all these horror stories about children feeling ostracized and shunned but then we read a post like SaraBeth's and it makes it very confusing. However, we are looking into the Sandy Draper area. Good luck!
Good luck to you too Bobbyt801!

Old 09-05-2013, 05:21 PM

835 posts, read 1,786,963 times
So I lived in PC for 16 years and have never been to Daybreak so no comments about comparing the 2 from me.
What I can comment on is the PC commute vs Southern California commute.
My husband works out at the airport in SLC, in Southern California, his job was located at the Federal Building in downtown Los Angeles. He lived in Alta Loma and the drive o e way was about 80ish miles, the drive from PC to airport is about 35ish.
He hated every minute of the PC/SLC drive 75% of the time, mainly the winter months and often waxed poetic about how much he missed the LA traffic over the "my SUV makes me indestructible" mentality that takes place, every day in Parley's Canyon.
We moved to the Valley and have not one time regretted the move. Our experience with the Granite school system was so much better than PC schools it was somewhat shocking considering how "highly praised" the PC schools are. We found it to be very refreshing. We have one child and he never mentioned feeling "snubbed" by kids at school or in the neighborhood because he was not LDS.
On the other hand, I would never ever live in Daybreak as it is built on old Kennecot tailings. I am sure some other posters will climb all over me for that but, if you have to sign something about the drinking water when you buy a home, might be a problem...same thing for living in PC in the Prospector neighborhood, AKA an EPA Superfund sight...

Old 09-09-2013, 07:57 AM

2,296 posts, read 5,086,719 times
I know someone on the forum that loves to defend Daybreak big time. Well got news for ya. It is smack dab IN the middle of most inversions contrary to some folks opinions. I drive right through it on the way to work so can confirm that. Besides it resides on reclamation land from Kennicott. They make you sign a waver when buying a home there acknowledging the lack of growing certain things (like I sure wouldn't recommend planting and eating anything there. It is land that has been exposed to their tailings from the processing of ore and precious metals for many years. They can claim they've cleared that up all they way....it is not perfect. It's a buyers beware thing, unless of course you prefer to place your head in the sand, which seems to be a favorite way of life for many around these parts.

Old 09-13-2013, 08:36 AM

6,800 posts, read 7,348,286 times
I have lived in Daybreak for four years, we are from So-Cal, non-LDS and have zero issues with that. Our neighbors (who happen to be LDS) just moved out of state and my daughter cried she misses them so much.

The best bet is to join one of the clubs (we joined the Wine Club) or get involved in the community events, you meet people that way.

With each new phase they are learning, the parks are getting better, the amenities improve, etc. I do like how there are always events, music in the park, family day, etc. it makes for a nice community.

The things they did wrong IMHO is make the main street one where commuters from further south come through, they just don't know how to drive through round a bouts. Parking can be an issue also.

The inversion can get up here but when it is 10 degrees, I don't spend a lot of time outside. I am on the residents FB group and while there are issues, there tend to be the chronic complainers, everything bad that can happen somehow happens to the same handful of people. I think there is a lot to be said for some people being glass half empty types, some being glass half full.

Old 09-13-2013, 08:41 AM

6,800 posts, read 7,348,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibarbie View Post
So I lived in PC for 16 years and have never been to Daybreak so no comments about comparing the 2 from me.
What I can comment on is the PC commute vs Southern California commute.
My husband works out at the airport in SLC, in Southern California, his job was located at the Federal Building in downtown Los Angeles. He lived in Alta Loma and the drive o e way was about 80ish miles, the drive from PC to airport is about 35ish.
He hated every minute of the PC/SLC drive 75% of the time, mainly the winter months and often waxed poetic about how much he missed the LA traffic over the "my SUV makes me indestructible" mentality that takes place, every day in Parley's Canyon.
We moved to the Valley and have not one time regretted the move. Our experience with the Granite school system was so much better than PC schools it was somewhat shocking considering how "highly praised" the PC schools are. We found it to be very refreshing. We have one child and he never mentioned feeling "snubbed" by kids at school or in the neighborhood because he was not LDS.
On the other hand, I would never ever live in Daybreak as it is built on old Kennecot tailings. I am sure some other posters will climb all over me for that but, if you have to sign something about the drinking water when you buy a home, might be a problem...same thing for living in PC in the Prospector neighborhood, AKA an EPA Superfund sight...
I have never heard of the water issue, I have only ever heard it mentioned here. They built a new water filtration plant right on the border of Daybreak, it seems pretty clean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area