U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 10:57 AM

13,047 posts, read 10,457,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaizmama View Post
... btw, when we visited Park City we loved it and everyone there said that we DID NOT want to be in daybreak...
Q: How many Park City-ites does it take to screw in a light bulb?

A: Just one. She holds onto the light bulb & the world revolves around her.

We're part-time residents of Park City -- Park City for ski season, and Las Vegas for poker season. We love PC, but you definitely won't find the master planned community feeling. You also won't be able to build a home in the price range you mention unless you are in, say, Jeremy Ranch or lower Pinebrook. But if you do, you'll find that PC people will say the equivalent of "...OH. You live over THERE..." You'll be made aware that despite a Park City postal address, you don't really live in Park City. If you go to the Park City Public Library & try to get a library card, they'll firmly tell you you don't live in Park City - you live in the County. Go to the Park City Police & try to report a theft/loss of a cell phone, and they won't take the report - they'll tell you to go to the county sheriff.

In Las Vegas, we live in a master planned community & love it. Thus, we know what you are referring to. It is anathema to PC.

Don't get me wrong - as I said we love living in Park City (well, technically, Ranch Place, which Park City people will refer to as "...Snyderville" with a bit of attitude) and it is easy to make new friends here.

Last edited by SportyandMisty; 09-17-2013 at 11:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2013, 08:59 AM

763 posts, read 1,684,439 times
What's wrong with acknowledging a city's actual boundaries? Snyderville is a very different place, with a different history, than Park City proper... and it's truly not IN Park City.

The Park City police aren't trying to be difficult when they won't take report of a (non-life-threatening) crime outside their jurisdiction; they're trying to not step on the toes of the Summit County Sheriff.

And the Park City library is not legally allowed to issue cards to residents outside their jurisdiction. Your property taxes in Snyderville do not fund the Park City municipal library, only Park City residents' property taxes do, and therefore only they are allowed use of what they are funding.

Living outside the boundaries but claiming affiliation may be fine for casual conversation, but it's not accurate and can't be translated to municipal services. Residents of Henderson, NV, may be in the "Las Vegas area," but they're not IN Las Vegas itself, just like residents of Sandy, UT, are in the Salt Lake-area, but they're not served by Salt Lake City police.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
We're part-time residents of Park City -- Park City for ski season, and Las Vegas for poker season. We love PC, but you definitely won't find the master planned community feeling. You also won't be able to build a home in the price range you mention unless you are in, say, Jeremy Ranch or lower Pinebrook. But if you do, you'll find that PC people will say the equivalent of "...OH. You live over THERE..." You'll be made aware that despite a Park City postal address, you don't really live in Park City. If you go to the Park City Public Library & try to get a library card, they'll firmly tell you you don't live in Park City - you live in the County. Go to the Park City Police & try to report a theft/loss of a cell phone, and they won't take the report - they'll tell you to go to the county sheriff.

In Las Vegas, we live in a master planned community & love it. Thus, we know what you are referring to. It is anathema to PC.

Don't get me wrong - as I said we love living in Park City (well, technically, Ranch Place, which Park City people will refer to as "...Snyderville" with a bit of attitude) and it is easy to make new friends here.

Old 09-18-2013, 12:11 PM

835 posts, read 1,793,677 times
What Zionide said. Park City's city limit on the North side was my fence line and I think it may still be but there has been wuite a bit of annexation going on.
Over the many uears I lived there, lots of ideas were kicked around about Snyderville becoming it's own "city" and same for Kimball's Junction.
The amount of bawlin and caterwaling that went on about "I live in Park City not Snyderville" and "I am special because I live in Park City not Snyderville" was pretty funny yet sad all at the same time.
Park City residents get to use both Libraries as we got to pay city and county taxes. Snyderville residents don't pay city taxes so they don't get to use the city library for free but if I recall, it is not very expensive to get a city library card either.
Whwen we had a baby fox stuck in our window well at 2:30 in the morning, every police officer on duty came over to "help" and several sheriff deputies did too as I am guessing they enard about this incident on the radio so there may be some "boundary crossing" in the law enforcement areas...
I always felt that Sun Peak and Snyder's Mill, AKA the " Sea of Stucco" were "planned communities" though...

Old 09-20-2013, 07:52 PM

13,047 posts, read 10,457,551 times
To the OP: I think you get the idea. The price of housing decreases with the cube of the distance in feet from the Park City border. Many people new to the area see the drop in price going a few blocks away & it is attractive to them -- just realize you won't be, you know, in Park City, as Zionide & skibarbie make clear. The tradeoff is yours to make.

Best of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area