U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 12:09 AM

517 posts, read 600,718 times
It's funny; all the ranting and raving about the inversion on this board over the last couple years, and yet I just finished proofreading (side job!) a doctoral dissertation about air quality in Salt Lake County over the last ~75 years. The candidate's (very well-supported!) data showed that winter month air quality was the worst from the late 1950s through the 1970s, then dipped a bit in the 80s, became as bad in the early 90s as in the 70s, and has slowly but steadily improved since the late 1990s. In fact, this dissertation asserted that winter air quality currently is better than it's been since pre-WWII, and likely to continue improving as older, higher polluting vehicles are retired for hybrid cars and improved emission control systems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2013, 11:26 AM

50 posts, read 36,855 times
Thank you, Zionide. We read all the articles posted from this board, then went on to find more data ourselves and finally, I just asked my husband to compare SLC to Phoenix and well, you can guess the ending there. SLC move is not out of the question. I was more frustrated that I have yet to have one person answer the initial question I posed, rather just began talking about fitting in, which was not the point of my thread.

Old 09-06-2013, 12:01 PM

13,631 posts, read 8,780,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyMama2 View Post
Thank you, Zionide. We read all the articles posted from this board, then went on to find more data ourselves and finally, I just asked my husband to compare SLC to Phoenix and well, you can guess the ending there. SLC move is not out of the question. I was more frustrated that I have yet to have one person answer the initial question I posed, rather just began talking about fitting in, which was not the point of my thread.
Yeah, I noticed that your actual question kind of got ignored. Seriously, I think you'd do fine in Salt Lake County, but I honestly would not recommend that a non-LDS family move to Utah County. You'd be surprised at how different they are.

Old 09-06-2013, 12:25 PM

Katzpur, I follow your posts. Since you have 65 years of SLC knowledge, do you have a suggestion for a community with a small-town-Americana feel in SL County as opposed to Utah County? Our friends are in Orem, which I fell in love with, but yes, it would be nice to find friends on our block and not just by scouting out the only Starbucks.

Old 09-06-2013, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Katzpur, I follow your posts. Since you have 65 years of SLC knowledge, do you have a suggestion for a community with a small-town-Americana feel in SL County as opposed to Utah County? Our friends are in Orem, which I fell in love with, but yes, it would be nice to find friends on our block and not just by scouting out the only Starbucks.
A small-town-Americana feel? Wow, that's going to be hard. I'm not even sure I know what you mean by that. If that's how you're classifying Orem, there are a lot of Salt Lake City suburbs that would have a similar feel to them. I kind of think of Bountiful as having what I would personally describe as a small-town-Americana feel (at least certain parts of it). Sugarhouse would also fit the bill, but the homes are older. I don't know if that would bother you or not. I've lived in Cottonwood Heights for 31 of my 65 years in the area and it's actually my favorite neighborhood. There's a good mix of people in the area. On my street alone, only five of the twelve families are practicing LDS. One is Muslim; the rest? Who knows. My husband is Hispanic. The Muslims are from Iran. One family is mixed Caucasian-Asian. There is one child as young as about 8 or 10, and one couple in their 80s. We live just about two blocks from the Cottonwood Heights Recreation Center, that has great facilities for entire families.

Old 09-06-2013, 03:13 PM

Well, I live outside of Phoenix. Trees are newly planted and yard are rock. Orem has grass and trees and flags on the 4th of July, so to me, that's Americana! My children are small still, the oldest is 5, so families with young children is highly desired. We don't party or smoke, occasionally drink, and we aren't really eclectic or liberal. I don't mind older homes like in Sugar House at all, I really like the look of the neighborhood, but finding something large enough for us and my MIL would be difficult in that neighborhood for $300k or under. I will check out Cottonwood Heights, though, thank you for your help.

Old 09-06-2013, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Well, I live outside of Phoenix. Trees are newly planted and yard are rock. Orem has grass and trees and flags on the 4th of July, so to me, that's Americana! My children are small still, the oldest is 5, so families with young children is highly desired. We don't party or smoke, occasionally drink, and we aren't really eclectic or liberal. I don't mind older homes like in Sugar House at all, I really like the look of the neighborhood, but finding something large enough for us and my MIL would be difficult in that neighborhood for $300k or under. I will check out Cottonwood Heights, though, thank you for your help.
You may be able to find something like that in Cottonwood Heights. Good luck with your search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area