U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 04:44 PM

63 posts, read 93,182 times

Advertisements

My family has been looking in several Western states for "home," ready to leave the AZ desert. We love the dry weather and have considered Boise, Denver, Colorado Springs and are leaning back toward SLC area. The inversions were the initial reason we chose to not pursue the area, but upon further examination of our reasons to move, Utah has so many of the tick marks checked off the list. We have friends in Utah County and while we are not LDS, we have many friends that area and only have a mild concern for our children fitting in. We love Orem, but would like to consider towns or neighborhoods with a similar feel. Suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2013, 06:00 PM

2,394 posts, read 5,202,010 times
By coincidence this was posted today (9/3/13) on the general Utah forum by oakie1616. Make of it what you will.

Last edited by kletter1mann; 09-03-2013 at 06:02 PM.. Reason: clarity and precision

Old 09-03-2013, 06:15 PM

That is definitely something I have considered, however, I wonder if having close friends that are Mormon that live in the area would give us the advantage of having true friends and being included more-so than someone who moved to Utah County out of the blue? Again, my real concerns are the air quality and a good neighborhood and schools over fitting in. We actually deal with a bit of LDS discrimination where we live in Arizona and still manage to have quite a few mormon friends.

Old 09-03-2013, 06:29 PM

2,394 posts, read 5,202,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyMama2 View Post
That is definitely something I have considered, however, I wonder if having close friends that are Mormon that live in the area would give us the advantage of having true friends and being included more-so than someone who moved to Utah County out of the blue? Again, my real concerns are the air quality and a good neighborhood and schools over fitting in. We actually deal with a bit of LDS discrimination where we live in Arizona and still manage to have quite a few mormon friends.
Honestly I have no idea. I don't live in UT (yet), but I've been reading this board for some time. Based on that my guess is that responses will boil down into 2 flavors: (1) the LDS apologists will say it's fine and that if you don't fit in it's your fault in some subtle way (2) non-LDS who will tell you to run away from UT county as fast as you can. Hopefully I'm wrong about (1). We'll see. Good luck to you!

Old 09-03-2013, 06:46 PM

Again, while I have experienced some people being flat rude to me in my own neighborhood, presumably because I am not a member of their ward, that is by and large the exception, not the rule. I tend to believe those with complaints become the vocal ones. While in Utah this summer, I went to Starbucks (I'll admit it was a bit of a hunt compared to say, Colorado where one slaps you in the face every 45 driving seconds) and noticed all the people with tattoos and their sleeveless shirts, loudly pronouncing what faith they were NOT a part of. There are definitely non-mormons there, though I am not sure they attempt to fit into the community they chose to live in or if they went in with this loud proclamation of who they are not and expected people to be warm and fuzzy. Just my thoughts, definitely not sure what actually occurs on an individual basis. Minus not showing up for church on Sunday (theirs at least) and walking around with a green logo cup of coffee, I am sure we would be mistaken for mormons, anyway. The reason we like Orem in particular is the family values, cost of living and general tight-knit community vibe. I only ask if there are other similar areas so we are not limited in choices and of course, if there is the same vibe in a town or particular neighborhood that happens to be more diverse, we would be receptive to that above all. Many people have mentioned areas downtown, but those inversions still scare the crap out of me and the farther away from downtown, the better, IMO.

Old 09-04-2013, 01:03 PM

21,846 posts, read 21,932,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
Honestly I have no idea. I don't live in UT (yet), but I've been reading this board for some time. Based on that my guess is that responses will boil down into 2 flavors: (1) the LDS apologists will say it's fine and that if you don't fit in it's your fault in some subtle way (2) non-LDS who will tell you to run away from UT county as fast as you can. Hopefully I'm wrong about (1). We'll see. Good luck to you!
I don't know of very many LDS on this forum who would suggest Utah county for a non-LDS person. Even most of us who are LDS wouldn't want to live in Utah County, and aren't telling anyone what you're saying in your example.

Old 09-04-2013, 04:11 PM

Could a moderator just delete this whole thread, please? I don't feel it really helped anyone, least of all me, and we researched all the air quality issues over the last 24 hours and determined we just aren't able to bring our child with breathing issues into that kind of air environment permanently, anyway.

Old 09-05-2013, 05:47 PM

835 posts, read 1,783,478 times
My child and my husband both have asthma. We lived in PC for 16 years and moved to SLC in 2008. They both have improved, significantly, since we moved to SLC.
My head is not in the sand, or anywhere else for that matter, when it comes to the inversion. It can be unpleasant but from visiting with neighbors that have lived in the valley for 50+ years, it is better now than in the 70's. Last January had a rather high number of crappy days and the snowpack reflected that as very few storms moved through to clear the valley out.
We have never had a bad experience with anyone that is LDS treating us poorly because we are not, in fact, it has been quite the opposite.

Old 09-05-2013, 05:57 PM

2,447 posts, read 5,885,240 times
My daughter and husband also have asthma and have the most trouble when allergy season is in full force as opposed to during the inversion.

We have never had any bad experiences with LDS either. I don't know that I would want to live in UT County, but that is for a myriad of reasons.

Old 09-05-2013, 06:23 PM

21,846 posts, read 21,932,573 times
My nephew is 21 and has Cystic Fibrosis. He does okay here in Salt Lake City. My mother, who had asthma, lived in Salt Lake City and died four years ago at the age of 96.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area