U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2013, 04:49 PM

9 posts, read 15,384 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I'm considering moving to Park City and wanted to get a feel for the job situation, rental situation, culture, lifestyle and etc, so maybe it could help with the decision making process.

My wife and I currently live in Boulder, CO(I know, not a bad place). I came out here from Southern California(LA/OC area) about 3 1/2yrs ago to go to school and fell in love with it and never left.
We love living in Boulder and the many quality of life aspects we get from it as compared to SoCal; much smaller town/environment, nicer people, healthier living, no traffic, mountains at our feet and etc, but unfortunately it can also be a tough place to make a living.
Moderator cut: no ads
Basically, I did what everyone else does, fell in love with Boulder while in school and then never left after. This is why there are 100+ Moderator cut: not allowedwithin a 20-30 mile radius and it’s almost impossible to survive just working in your practice and requires many other part/full time jobs to sustain living.
Not to mention all the other alternative healing/medicine modalities that saturate Boulder(i.e Acupuncturist, Massage, Chiro, Reiki, Energy Healers, etc, etc). Boulder is a very active environment and an outdoor enthusiast/athletes paradise and the culture here is very open and favors the alternative healing/medicine options, as opposed to traditional western medicine, which is great, but is also what makes it so difficult to survive here.
After giving it a little over 2yrs here, I’ve decided to raise the white flag and look at other places that could offer some of the same great qualities of Boulder that I appreciate, but in time, also potentially offer a better possibility of building a more sustainable practice.

I’ve heard many, many great things about Park City. I’ve been to SLC & Ogden, but never to PC, so wanted to get a little input.
Park City would seem to fit in with many of the aspects and activities that I enjoy and I’m searching. I’m an avid trail runner(ultra-runner), mountain biker, hiker, snowshoer, etc and just love being in the mountains. Since exiting SoCal, I find myself really gravitating toward smaller town atmospheres and appreciate the different quality of life they can offer; like being able to ride/walk downtown for a bite to eat and nice IPA, after spending a great day exploring the mountains. Or just simply chilling at a local downtown pub on a Saturday/Sunday afternoon while doing some people watching and/or chatting with the locals. A simpler life and atmosphere is what I enjoy most now.

Just a few quick questions:
1. Job situation? Are pt/ft jobs in PC fairly available? I’m not too picky(since I’m currently working as a janitor semi-full time, while trying to maintain my practice) and just wonder how difficult it would be to find something to help sustain us, while I try to build a practice.

2. Rental availability and cost? I’ve heard its a bit more pricey than SLC, but would prefer to live in PC and take advantage of all it has to offer(mountains, smaller town atmosphere, etc). Would be looking for a small one bedroom/one bathroom and wonder if they’re hard to find and/or expensive? I pay $1000/mo for a small 2bd/2ba in Boulder, which is considered really cheap, so I’ve been very lucky. My budget would be no more than this for starting out.

3. Culture: Since it is a mountain/resort town, I assume its a very active, athletic, outdoorsy environment and probably has some similarities to Boulder in that way.
Is the culture open/receptive to the alternative healing/medicine practices?
Are there alot of athletes as full time residents?
Is it a diverse culture?
Boulder still holds on to some of its “hippie” heritage, but it’s also a college town, an athlete mecca, has some new techie companies settling in and some old time mountain ranchers, so it's a pretty good mix.

4. Accessibility: Bus lines, bike friendly and etc?
One of the things I appreciate about Boulder(or any smaller town), after coming from LA/OC area of California, is the accessibility with being able to get around town on my bike, a bus or even walking in a very simple way.
After sitting in constant traffic in SoCal for 30+ years, this has really changed my thinking and made me really appreciate a different way of living. I think about all the time wasted sitting in my car on stopped freeways and have no desire to ever be part of an environment like that again.

There’s a better quality of life that I’m now trying to balance and I’m looking at areas that may provide it.Moderator cut: form of adbut I also realize the population in PC is very small(approx. 7500 full time residents). The smaller population could make it quite challenging and I assume many business rely on the winter/summer tourist population to help sustain their business and then budget accordingly for the slower times.

I’m now in my latter 40’s and have finally realized what is most important to me; like being happy where you live and with what you do, and not with how much money you make, what car you drive, how big your house is or etc.
I don’t need to make a bunch of money, just enough to pay my bills and allow me to get by, while living in an environment that is pleasurable and fulfills more of the things that I now value.
The search is on for that dream.....

Appreciate any thoughts, input or feedback...

Cheers-

PS. Sorry the post is a bit long. I intended to keep in short, but just rambled on a bit.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 09-03-2013 at 06:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2013, 10:25 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,193,908 times
Seasonal jobs in Park City are abundant. It's the year-round ones that are hard to land and hang onto.

Rentals in the (old) city proper are pricey and small. Housing on the South end (going up the canyon) is uber expensive. As a result, most of the middle and working class live to the North towards Snyderville and the junction. And, even this area is significantly more expensive than housing in the Salt Lake Valley. Be advised Park City consistently ranks as the most expensive place to live in Utah.

You are right in assuming it's an active outdoor-lifestyle there. And, it's also one of the most Liberal and wealthiest populations in Utah with median family income around $80,000. For comparison, the median family income in Salt Lake city is $45,000. Interestingly, Park City actually has fewer minorities than Salt Lake City.

The bus system is good. But, of course, the hours of operation aren't as broad as a big city. There are also daily commuter buses to the Salt Lake Valley. It's bike friendly in the Summer and not at all in the Winter (but you're probably used to that).

Bill

Old 09-04-2013, 08:29 AM

85 posts, read 245,224 times
Based on your interests it sounds like Park City would be a great fit. People here are extremely active, and there are tons of trails for hiking, mountain biking, snowshoeing, etc. There are lots of bike paths to get around town as well. There isn't much racial diversity at all, but many people who live here have moved from elsewhere in the country, so in that sense it's a more liberal environment and very different from most of Utah.

A 1-bedroom apartment in Kimball Junction will cost around $800-$900. Most of the rental complexes are low-income, so if you don't fall into that category you're reliant on condos and townhouses rented by owners. It's difficult to find housing around ski season, but choices are plentiful some spring, especially if you sign a year+ lease. The public bus system in town is free.

The population isn't hippie like in Boulder, but would probably go for some alternative healing modalities if they're not too out there. I'm really not too sure about this though. There are definitely people with money, and who knows what they like to spend it on. As far as other jobs, most are in the service industry and tourism, so you shouldn't have a problem finding something if you're okay with those things.

Old 09-05-2013, 01:51 PM

16 posts, read 28,542 times
Ok, so, having lived in both places, I can tell you that Park City is going to be very similar to Boulder in almost all of the good ways, but it is not nearly as countercultural. It is a tourist town. It draws visitors from a broad economic spectrum. That is not to say that it is uptight at all. It just is not as laid back as Boulder.

With respect to active lifestyles, I think opportunities are far more abundant than in Boulder. For instance, you don't have to be parked for 3 hours on I-70 to ski or board--you just walk to the Town Lift. Literally hundreds of miles of biking/running/nordic ski trails are right outside your door. Olympic park, MARC, Deer Valley, the Canyons . . . it is seriously just an active person's dream town.

As for transportation, the PC bus system is WAY better than Boulder's. Its routes are far more extensive. It is always free. It is bike friendly. And, while the service is not 24 hours, it gets pretty darned close during high seasons. I can honestly say that there are weeks that have gone by where I have not used a car in Park City.

As for jobs, there are many itinerant opportunities. Dependable full time employment is more competitive. However, the ski/tourist economy seems to remain strong. The housing sector is bouncing back. Schools are great.

Finally, don't know about your perspective on religion or politics, but Park City is a place where, if you are not LDS, you don't feel the glare of members on you all the time. Also, while it is not exactly Berkeley (or Boulder, for that matter), it is far more liberal than virtually any other place in Utah.

And, yes, dozens of athletes make their homes here. So does the Sundance Film Festival (hopefully for another 13 years at least). Another cool thing about PC is the National Ability Center, which is right in town. The Eccles Center is a great arts venue (as is the bottom of Snow Park in DV in the summer time). Park City is a great place.

Good luck in whatever you choose.

Old 09-18-2013, 11:11 AM

9 posts, read 15,384 times
Hey All,

Sorry for delay in responding to your replies, I was out of town for a bit. Thank you for all the info, this is very helpful.
I'm hoping to potentially make a trip out to PC in a couple weeks, so I can get a feel for it and see what its like.
But from your info, it sounds like a great place to live and maybe a better option than staying Boulder.
I didn't realize that the moderator had edited my OP about my practice and the work I do. Apparently, I broken the rules, so to speak, by referencing what I do and having it appear as advertising. That was definitely not my intent, rather I was just showing reasoning for why I'm considering relocating from Boulder. No worries...my bad.

A couple following up questions:
@UTES & Nyllie - you both mentioned Kimball Junction as far as renting a place to live; how far is this from PC(or downtown) and is it accessible via bike and/or does the bus line go there, since I may not have a vehicle?
The other potentially difficult situation would be finding affordable office space?
I've been looking online(craigslist & etc) and it looks like office can be a little difficult to come by. A couple places I did see, were in Kimball Junction, so again this got me wondering how far it was from PC and if this would be a reasonable distance for potential clients to travel from downtown or etc?

@Slcslc - I'm shocked and happy to hear you say that the bus system is way better in PC than in Boulder, because I've always thought that the bus system here is really good. But then again, I came to Boulder from SoCal where you pretty don't even attempt to ride a bus, because they're so horrible. Oh, and free is pretty awesome!
How long did you live in Boulder and when?
And are you now in PC?

I had heard the stuff about being LDS in Utah, and if you're not, you feel it. I've read a few threads on this site about it and wondered how much it filtered into PC as well.
I have no religious affiliation and have no issues with anyone that does/doesn't. Believe and live how you want and allow me to do the same.

In terms of jobs, I'm ok working in service industry, tourism or pretty much anything, if it helps me pay my bills and allows me to get my own practice going, so its good to hear these jobs are fairly plentiful.

Well, hopefully I can make it out there in a couple weeks for a quick visit and that will help me decide on a direction. I suppose I were to make a move there, its probably best to do it before winter hits.
Thanks again for the info.

Cheers-

Old 09-18-2013, 03:23 PM

Hey there trailrunner65:

1. The transit system in Park City is incredible--especially for a town of its size.
2. Kimball Junction is the junction of I-80 and SR224 (which eventually turns into Park Avenue). The distance from "the Junction" and the Town Lift in Old Town is right around 7 miles. The free buses go to the Junction, but they don't really go beyond the Junction (like to Gorgoza park). There are numerous places to live and work right around Kimball Junction. And, relatively speaking, it is the most affordable area of Park City in which to live. An added bonus is that your proximity to groceries (Smiths, Whole Foods, and a "Super" Walmart are right there), sundries (the outlet mall is right there), and other necessities of life (Home Depot is an exit away) is much better in the Junction. Also, you would be right next to the Olympic Park, the trail system, and other outdoor amenities as well. It just is a tad of a schlep to downhill skiing (3 miles or so to the Canyons, 7 miles to PC, and 8 miles to Deer Valley), but being from Boulder, you have probably spent many 4 hour Sunday afternoons sitting in I-70 traffic on the way back from Breckenridge or the like, so 8 miles is no biggee.
3. Office space is also more plentiful in Kimball Junction (depending upon your needs). You might also consider looking at office space in the Silver Summit (where Home Depot is) area of Park City. Rents are cheaper. And again, it is within 10 minutes of virtually anywhere in Park City.

I grew up in Colorado, and lived in and around Boulder in the late 80s. I go back all the time, though, to visit family. Hope you have been able to stay dry. Have fun in Park City.

Old 09-18-2013, 04:59 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,193,908 times
I concur with slcslc.

Bill

Old 09-18-2013, 06:06 PM

Oh, and I forgot to address your last question: Remember, Park City was founded by miners not mormons. That is a glib way of saying that influence of the LDS Church/community is much less apparent in Park City than in Salt Lake, and certainly less so than in other areas of Utah. On top of that, because it is a tourist-based local economy, it goes out of its way to be all-inclusive. Put another way, as a godless heathen, I feel right at home there.

Old 10-08-2013, 02:27 PM

8 posts, read 14,760 times
Thank you for this great thread! I just moved here from Los Angeles - My family and I are currently staying in Midway with my father-in-law. Our goal was to move to Park City in a few months. It's great to hear that more rentals pop up in the Spring. We have a condo in Los Angeles, and we are planning to rent it out for at least a year and then sell it. So, we will not be able to buy anything for now. We have two young kids, and need at least 3 bedrooms. While prices are much cheaper where we are now (Midway/Heber), I feel our ultimate home will be PC. Love all the info from SLCSLC and UTES. Will probably start my own thread here too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area