Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2013, 10:43 AM

1 posts, read 2,457 times

Advertisements

What are some safe condos and apartments in the Salt Lake City area? It can be about 10 miles out. My work will be paying up to $1,000 in rent and utilities so I can say $2,000 in rent would be my max. I would like a gated community. I need a garage to park my show truck and my Mercedes-Benz. My other vehicle can stay outside. I don't want a house at the moment, maybe in a year I will.

The last thing I want to know, how is the people in Salt Lake City? Friend wise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2013, 03:12 PM

2,502 posts, read 6,949,175 times
10 miles out...from where? Salt Lake encompasses a pretty vast area. If you want 10 miles from your place of employment, we would need a more specific area. I haven't been in the market for an apartment/condo in quite some time, but I really don't think there are any that are gated in the greater downtown area.

Old 09-18-2013, 09:51 AM

762 posts, read 2,110,277 times
Maybe I'm going out on a limb here, but if you're looking for a gated condo complex, I suspect SLC is not the right fit for you.

In my experience the very concept of gated communities is something that just doesn't jive with the attitude of most of the locals (the people I know in gated communities are never natives to this area). While some people may claim Salt Lake can be an exclusionary place, I don't think even that opinion is based on socioeconomic exclusions---which, frankly, is what gated communities promote.

Regardless, gated communities are relatively rare here in the valley, and the few I'm aware of are full of massive mansions and estates---not condos or apartments (and they seem to often be owned by non-natives!). I don't think you'll find what you're looking for within 10 miles of downtown SLC.

Old 09-18-2013, 02:39 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,805,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zionide View Post
Maybe I'm going out on a limb here, but if you're looking for a gated condo complex, I suspect SLC is not the right fit for you.

In my experience the very concept of gated communities is something that just doesn't jive with the attitude of most of the locals (the people I know in gated communities are never natives to this area). While some people may claim Salt Lake can be an exclusionary place, I don't think even that opinion is based on socioeconomic exclusions---which, frankly, is what gated communities promote.

Regardless, gated communities are relatively rare here in the valley, and the few I'm aware of are full of massive mansions and estates---not condos or apartments (and they seem to often be owned by non-natives!). I don't think you'll find what you're looking for within 10 miles of downtown SLC.
Maybe you haven't been looking for them, but I see tons of gated condo communities in Midvale and Murray, and some are in Millcreek (or right next to the city line). A lot of the people who live there are natives to Utah, but older, and I also know of young people who were born and raised here (in their early 30's) who are single and are moving in to them because of the amenities and because they won't have to snowplow or tend a yard.

EDIT: Did a quick Google search, and found gated communities in Salt Lake City, Murray, Holladay, Draper, West Jordan, Cottonwood Heights, Riverton, Taylorsville, West Valley City, and Sandy.

Old 09-18-2013, 03:02 PM

3,031 posts, read 2,143,426 times
There is a gated community in SLC in Carrigan Canyon. The setting is beautiful - and each house have enough space to comfortably accommodate a football team with room to spare.

This is not a high crime city for the most parts and a number of downtown condos would fit the bill. We live in a condo above the zoo at the mouth of Emigration canyon. Now we own our unit but last year we rented another unit for 2K a month, although most units are not for rent. It is very safe.

So, the OP would have to look at the options on the market and decide based on preference. I am not much for long commutes, so if work is downtown and there are good condo options, that's where I'd start. But, it all depends on the personal decision factors the OP has. There is plenty of inventory...

Old 09-19-2013, 02:38 PM

53 posts, read 144,517 times
You didn't really give much details. Are you single or do you have a family?

This is a pretty hip place - Salt Lake City Apartments | Lotus Apartments | Apartments Salt Lake City, UT

Old 10-05-2013, 12:53 AM

1 posts, read 2,159 times
Default Looking at Relocating to Salt Lake City Area

My husband and I are looking at relocating to the Salt Lake City Area. We are an interracial couple (he is white and I am black) and military. We are a little nervous on relocating to Utah because we are not sure how well we will be received. From what we can tell, Salt Lake City is a lot like Colorado Springs. We loved Colorado but had to relocate to GA because of the military. Should we worry about discrimination when it comes to living there and me finding a job within the local community? Do we have to worry about being Non-LDS? Would love to have some feedback from the locals and those who are considered transplants to Utah. Thank you.

Old 10-05-2013, 09:57 AM

27,899 posts, read 29,722,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interracial Military Coup View Post
My husband and I are looking at relocating to the Salt Lake City Area. We are an interracial couple (he is white and I am black) and military. We are a little nervous on relocating to Utah because we are not sure how well we will be received. From what we can tell, Salt Lake City is a lot like Colorado Springs. We loved Colorado but had to relocate to GA because of the military. Should we worry about discrimination when it comes to living there and me finding a job within the local community? Do we have to worry about being Non-LDS? Would love to have some feedback from the locals and those who are considered transplants to Utah. Thank you.
Just one quick comment. I worked for about fifteen years for a company with about 100 employees. Three of the white women there were married to black men. None of them ever mentioned feeling discriminated against, and I know that they were not discriminated against in the workplace. (I doubt it would be any different with regards to a white man and a black woman.)

Old 10-11-2013, 12:55 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,382,667 times
There are two sets of Executive Apartments that cater to people coming into the area for a few months. They are called Executive given their clientele.

What is the company in SLC recommending when you ask them about housing?

Might want to check for a rental in the high avenues. Your Mercedes would fit in better there with other Mercedes. Since that was important for you to mention, please mention it to those you talk to about renting. Some may advise you to store it where you are for the UT winter if your not use to driving in snow.

I'd check out the Executive apartments which are easily found in the apt./rentals or searching online for executive rentals. I think their parking is underground.

Good luck

MSR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area