U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 03:03 PM

2,397 posts, read 5,219,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisfitBanana View Post
Then again, I lived for 27 years in the Bay Area of California (Oakland and Walnut Creek). There is REAL traffic there. And it's traffic that is backed up every day for miles just because of commuters, not because of accidents.
Yes. Same as NY region.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisfitBanana View Post
OP - If you liked Sugarhouse, and if good schools are a consideration and nice neighborhoods, maybe you should look at the area near the top of Parley's Drive. If you live across the street from the Country Club, then it's a lot less expensive, but you still end up with a good neighborhood and good schools. You're also right near I-80 to take you up to multiple ski resorts, and you're just a couple miles from Sugarhouse.
Actually we did see a couple houses in that area. It could work fine. Schools not a consideration. It will boil down to what's on the market at the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2013, 06:28 PM

835 posts, read 1,786,470 times
Really?:: Most skiers I know live very, very close to the canyons.....on those very special days, 20 minutes can be the difference between Epic and ordinary.
If you move here Kletterman, you will very soon see what i mean....

Old 10-01-2013, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibarbie View Post
Really?:: Most skiers I know live very, very close to the canyons.....on those very special days, 20 minutes can be the difference between Epic and ordinary.
Well, I guess you know the skiers you know. My local ski buddy was an instructor and guide at Alta for the last 20 years and he's not really close to the canyons. We've been skiing there for years and we've gotten more than our share of first tracks. Anyway, unless you're about skinning up at 3AM with headlamps the lifts open when the lifts open. So you just get up 20 minutes earlier. Please do enlighten me about the epic and the ordinary. What am I missing?

Oh yeah - my ski vehicle is a fairly ridiculous 4x4 with locking axles and extreme snow tires. It's the next best thing to a snow cat. Seriously. I've pulled Audis and Subarus out of the ditches on more than one occasion, so I've got that covered too.

Old 10-01-2013, 09:10 PM

21,867 posts, read 21,991,669 times
Quote:
I guess we non-skiers really need to just butt out on this one.

Old 10-01-2013, 09:27 PM

835 posts, read 1,786,470 times
I knew that one would get the Cold Snow Loving Katz fired up!!!!
I want to be in the parking lot, dressed and lift bound by 8:45 on those certain days where the Snow Fairy has been busy. I learned the hard way the first 2 seasons down here that the early bird gets the best snow.
Not such a big deal when I lived in Park City as I was only 5 minutes from the 3 and I knew how to circumvent crowds.
I feel as though I am a bit of a slow learner on the Wasatch Front but this will be my season

Old 10-01-2013, 11:44 PM

2,478 posts, read 4,850,856 times
Great post Kletter1mann. You summed it up nicely. I just moved here a little over 5 weeks ago and love it here. The people seem more genuine, helpful, less pretentious, etc. I still crack up over the bad driving claims. I'm a merchandiser so I spend my day driving from Bountiful and other cities north of Salt Lake, all over SLC, down to Sandy, Draper, etc. It's not bad at all compared to my time in Dallas, Chicago, or even back home in MS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcisive View Post
Just wait around. Each year there is at least one if not two 10-20 car pileup's in bad weather. One reason to stay OFF of the roads when ice is involved to be sure. It's not myself I'm concerned about, it is about the unskilled drivers that seem to think their all wheel drive vehicles are empowered with some special capabilities to stop on command regardless of the road surface. Each year hundreds of such vehicle owners get a reality check when that doesn't work.
1 to 2 10-20 car pileup's a year is not really excessive and doesn't put Utah on the bad drivers map. Ohio had an 86 car pile up back in January. Somewhere in Colorado there was a 50 car pile up in March. Spend a few months in Texas, California, Florida and some other states and you'll see what I mean. I drive all over this city every day and I never get cut off, run off the road, someone pulling out in front of me, etc. These were daily occurrences for just a 3.4 mile stretch of road I had to drive in Dallas. I would have on average 3 incidents every day on my way to work that required defensive driving. So many close calls. As for the driving too fast on ice and snow, believe me, that is elsewhere too. Every city has that jackwagon who thinks his truck can do 80mph on ice and stop on a dime.

Old 10-06-2013, 08:42 AM

18,856 posts, read 31,604,866 times
Quote:
I agree, look exclusively in Sandy area, where you can hit the slopes within a half hour of leaving the door. You can get in decent half day on the way home, if you get to the slopes by 1500. Wife may have to drive for coffee, but hey, there are priorities in life...

Old 10-06-2013, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I agree, look exclusively in Sandy area, where you can hit the slopes within a half hour of leaving the door. You can get in decent half day on the way home, if you get to the slopes by 1500. Wife may have to drive for coffee, but hey, there are priorities in life...
Sandy isn't happening. It is everything my wife hates.

But I'm not concerned with the slope access issue. Here's why:
I once had an employee that was chronically 15 minutes late. We discussed this when I put him on probation. His excuse was that there was always traffic in the morning. I surprised him with what struck him as a novel solution: leave 15 minutes earlier, every single day. Result: he wasn't late any more! So it is with this where-to-live question. The differences in distance are trivial. It's not like we're talking about Bountiful. [and in case you're curious - in the end I fired the guy anyway, he was a screw-up in other ways as well.] As it is I regularly get up at 5 or 6am as it is to do one thing or another. No hardship for me.

Not sure what you mean about <half day on the way home>.... by this time next year I'll be 100% retired, all the time in the world.

Old 10-06-2013, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
As for the driving too fast on ice and snow, believe me, that is elsewhere too. Every city has that jackwagon who thinks his truck can do 80mph on ice and stop on a dime.
I love this one! In bad weather - snow, sleet (worse), ice (worst) I see ALWAYS see morons in their fancy Q5's or X5's or Quatros, AWD Benz's etc slid off in the ditch cause they think they're invincible. And then you can see their stupid AWD computer spinning alternate tires trying to figure out what to do to get them unstuck - but there's nothing to be done since all these cars have their high speed, low profile tires instead of real snow tires. Back in the day we drove huge RWD cars with real snow tires in Vermont and New Hampshire blizzards. No traction control, no AWD. Guess what? No problem!

Old 10-06-2013, 03:59 PM

62 posts, read 172,101 times
So, as I follow this thread I cannot resist putting in my two cents:

1.) The folks who suggest the drivers in Utah aren't really atrocious should wait until they live here for a year, and then decide. I thought things were worse elsewhere, too, (and I also lived in several other states with dense populations,) but after being here for going on three years, I am reminded almost on a weekly basis just how bad Utah drivers really are.

2.) As does the original poster, I understand that getting up early means getting to the slopes early, no matter where you live. Sure, the drive may be longer but it's up to you whether you want first tracks, or not.

3.) The winters in the Northeast are colder and icier, but the snow here can't be beat!

Think snow!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area