Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2013, 03:29 PM

8 posts, read 19,294 times

Advertisements

I just wrote a whole post and my computer deleted it!

Let's try again.

Three weeks ago my family and I relocated from Los Angeles. We are currently living with my father in law in Midway. Our original plan was always to end up in Park City. I am surprised to find I like Midway/Heber so far, and have started wondering if this is where we should live. I love the natural beauty of Midway, and the amenities of Heber. I love that it feels this town is growing. I love all the Mexican restaurants!! And I really love the low cost of living.

However, we have to young daughters - almost 3 and 8 months. They are my top priority. Here are my two concerns:

1. Quality of public schools - from my research, Park City schools are better. But are Wasatch schools bad? They seem to be ranked below the public school in Los Angeles where my kids would have gone, which suprised me. I would love some insight here.

2. I am Jewish. My husband is not - he is agnostic and was raised with a secular Christianity - basically just celebrated Christmas and Easter with Santa and Bunny. We are raising our daughters Jewish, though I am not very religious. It is still important to me. I don't want them to be the only Jewish kids in their school. As far as I know, there are no other Jewish families around here. I did call the Synogogue in Park City, and they have two members who live down here, and both are older couples with no young kids.

With the growing population here, I am not sure if the demographics will change. But I don't know that I am willing to bet on it either.

So, if I am right and Park City is where we should be, then I have a few other questions.

Right now we still own our condo in Los Angeles. It looks like we will be renting it out. We will not be able to buy anything until we can sell our condo - maybe next year. Until then, we would like to rent in Park City - my ideal would be a 3 bedroom townhouse - for hopefully no more than $2,000 a month. Is that realistic? From reading this forum, it seems like Jeremy Ranch would be the best place for us. Does that sound about right?

When we eventually sell our condo, my guess is our budget for buying a home would be $500K at the most. Could we get anything livable?

As far as rentals, what is the best way to find them? I have looked on Craigslist, but the pickings are slim. Is that because we are coming up against the ski season? Will we have more options in the Spring?

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2013, 05:51 PM

34 posts, read 65,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpamomma View Post
As far as rentals, what is the best way to find them? I have looked on Craigslist, but the pickings are slim.

KSL.com is the way to go for rental listings.

Old 10-08-2013, 06:27 PM

85 posts, read 289,590 times
More rental listings will open up on Craigslist after ski season, and you should have no problem finding something at that point. Bear Hollow and Newpark are the two additional townhouse communities in Kimball Junction that are options for you as you wait to sell your condo. Those might come in at around $2000 for a 3-bedroom.

Old 10-08-2013, 07:47 PM

10 posts, read 19,323 times
Nyllie is right about Bear Hollow. We rented a 4 bed/4 bath private home in Bear Hollow from April 1 thru Oct 1 for $2250/month. The amenities in BH are great and there are tons of kids in the neighborhood. I found the house via vrbo.com. Send me an email if you would like the contact info for the landlord. he is local and a really great guy, and the house is fully furnished with private hot tub, and super convenient. he might be open to another long term rental starting April 1 2014. During ski season the house rents for $400/night.

renting from Apri. 1 thru Dec. 15 should be pretty easy. after Dec. 15, it gets crazy expensive because of high demand.

Old 10-09-2013, 06:45 PM

2,480 posts, read 7,136,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphlette View Post
Nyllie is right about Bear Hollow. We rented a 4 bed/4 bath private home in Bear Hollow from April 1 thru Oct 1 for $2250/month. The amenities in BH are great and there are tons of kids in the neighborhood. I found the house via vrbo.com. Send me an email if you would like the contact info for the landlord. he is local and a really great guy, and the house is fully furnished with private hot tub, and super convenient. he might be open to another long term rental starting April 1 2014. During ski season the house rents for $400/night.

renting from Apri. 1 thru Dec. 15 should be pretty easy. after Dec. 15, it gets crazy expensive because of high demand.
I agree. I rented a townhome this summer in Bear Hollow and it was great. Very convenient location, great amenities.

Old 10-12-2013, 11:11 PM

8 posts, read 19,294 times
Thanks for the tips - especially KSL. I look forward to making the move to park city. I think it will be more my speed.

Old 10-13-2013, 08:49 AM

34 posts, read 65,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpamomma View Post
Thanks for the tips - especially KSL. I look forward to making the move to park city. I think it will be more my speed.
Just to expand upon that further: KSL is used instead of Craigslist around here. When we first moved here we tried to use Craigslist and there was nothing on there, but you go on KSL and there will be a ton of listings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area