U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2013, 07:15 PM

1 posts, read 1,826 times

Advertisements

In January, I am being transferred with my job to Park City with my husband and kids (that are in high school and elementary school). We have vacationed in Park City annually over the last 8 years and we love the home feel of this town. We are coming from Orlando, FL and have never experienced living anywhere else. We are Non-LDS. Can anyone give me any advice on the schools in Park City? I'm so nervous about having to relocate them. They are in 3rd grade, 9th grade and 11th grade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2013, 07:27 PM

6,801 posts, read 7,362,623 times
Take a bath in skin lotion when you get here.

Old 11-05-2013, 07:56 AM

1 posts, read 1,699 times
Default Moving to Utah

HI there!

Well, I have been in your shoes. I moved here 8 years ago from Ft Lauderdale with two little kids, and it is FANTASTIC!!! The schools in Park City are the best in the state. (I am also on the Education Foundation School Board, and the president of the School Board is a close friend, and I would be more than happy to put him in contact with you. Moderator cut: not allowed, read TOS

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 11-05-2013 at 09:29 AM..

Old 11-05-2013, 09:04 AM

835 posts, read 1,791,194 times
Funny dat.... By the way, the school systems in Park City are "touted" as the best, usually by Realtors...I have a few friends that are employed by the PCSD and they are reporting big problems up there. Class sizes of 25-28, being asked to "teach down" in order to keep test scores "up" and the drug issues. Well the drug issuses have been there for a long time-not new, nor is it exclusive to Park City, just the level/amount of drugs seems to be higher than other areas with same populations.
I lived in the Orlando ares many years ago and do not miss the humidity at all.
Love, love, love Utah and hope that you do too but keep your eyes and ears wide open when it comes to your kids and the friends they meet...

Old 11-05-2013, 02:30 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,284,055 times
Make sure you all drink lots of water to deal with the difference in altitude. Use plenty of body lotion (to deal with the dryness), and have some good jackets and snow boots. The first year or two the winter will seem really cold, but after that, you'll become used to it and it won't seem so cold anymore.

As to schools, I don't have experience with Park City schools. I think education in Utah is generally not that great (outside of higher education), but I'm not sure how it compares to Florida.

Old 11-07-2013, 05:40 PM

405 posts, read 1,156,656 times
I don't live in Utah and I am not LDS but I know a couple of people who are.
I personally think they are very fine people and very dedicated to their families and beliefs.
If more people in this country were like the LDS this country wouldn't be in the fix that we're in.
I think you will do well there.

Old 11-22-2013, 12:05 PM

29 posts, read 33,090 times
In June, I made the move from St Pete, FL to Park City. Perfect timing for the move to escape the humidity and heat (even though both are much lower in St Pete than Orlando with the Gulf breeze). Park City summers are really special and the Egyptian Theatre, ski resort concerts, Deer Valley Music Festival, and the Eccles Center provide entertainment beyond the ubiquitous hiking/biking trails.

Moving in January leaves no time to adjust to the 60 degree temperature change. The transition will be less pleasing, unless you jump into the skiing opportunities. Get beyond the huge change in temperature, and you will love Park City. Do not worry about PC being a "conservative" or religious town. PC is filled with transplants and they are fascinated by FL transplants. PC is a very friendly town, and if you like to volunteer, there are many different avenues.

Old 11-22-2013, 12:15 PM

29 posts, read 33,090 times
Your children will certainly experience less racial diversity moving from Orlando. If your children's safety and security, ease of commute, and living in a naturally beautiful area is important to you, then the move will be one of no regrets (other than leaving relatives behind in FL).

Old 12-31-2013, 06:13 PM

2,319 posts, read 2,487,642 times
You probably picked the best area in Utah to move to if you are not LDS. Park City is almost anti-LDS and consists of residents who have moved there from all over the country. They intentionally have many of their City events on Sundays instead of Saturday -- you will NOT find that in any other City in Utah. Teachers in Utah, as a whole, are some of the lowest paid in the nation. They are also not highly educated. Moderator cut: personal insults not allowed Thus, you find a rather large turnover with teachers. Now this is not to say that there are many talented teachers in Utah -- I'm just giving you a very broad view about what is going on in Utah with teachers. One of the great things about Park City is that if any of your children are showing a talent for winter sports, you have picked an area that a lot of people move to for that very reason. Some of the winter Olympic venues are located there and they are being kept up. Many Olympic athletes from all over the world train there and your children will have great opportunities if they have talent.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 01-02-2014 at 05:03 AM..

Old 01-01-2014, 06:47 PM

835 posts, read 1,791,194 times
Park City is not close, not even close to "anti-LDS".
Not sure where poster Molli is getting her information from but she is off base on this.
Other than Park Silly market being on Sundays, I would not venture to say that PC "goes out of their way" to schedule things on Sundays.
Lots of my LDS friends attend things every day of the week, including Sundays.
Having lived there for 16 years, it is a great place for lutdoor activities but then again, so is every place in Utah.
Enjoy your time here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area