Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 09:34 AM

14 posts, read 23,751 times

Advertisements

HI, thanks for taking time to help me out, very much appreciated. We're relocating and I'll be working in the slc area as my company is transferring me. However, I'm terrified from what I've been seeing online. I'm primarily interested in the impact on my children who are in 1st, 4th, 5th and 9th grade. So I've got a few questions.

1. What are the best school systems in the area up to 20ish miles away?
2. How well do non-Mormons fit in with the chosen community?
3. is there a sense of community?
4. Are there good sports programs?

We're coming fro ma school system where 89% go on to complete a college education. 97% complete high school. Education is probably our most important quality in a city/area. Safety obviously is a concern as well. Thank you again for the help, I'm counting on your insight to help me in my move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2013, 01:50 PM

2,502 posts, read 6,970,733 times
Um..just out of curiosity, what exactly are you seeing online that terrifies you?

Old 11-08-2013, 04:25 PM

Some of the school systems are horrible. High drop out rates, low college preparedness and below average test scores.

Old 11-08-2013, 04:44 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,848,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myhobbyishobbies View Post
Some of the school systems are horrible. High drop out rates, low college preparedness and below average test scores.
Did you see any school reports on line that may satisfy your requirements ?
Keep in mind that nationwide comparisons put Utah on the bottom for school funding ...
So ... are you surprised ?

But our kids went to school here and they all have a masters degree and good (paying) jobs.
So, the schools here can not be *that bad* , or ?
90 percent of their success in life depends on YOU ! (just MY opinion !)

Old 11-08-2013, 07:53 PM

2,619 posts, read 7,027,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
But our kids went to school here and they all have a masters degree and good (paying) jobs.
So, the schools here can not be *that bad* , or ?
90 percent of their success in life depends on YOU ! (just MY opinion !)
Or..... in an outstanding school they might have PhD's or MD's and outstanding salaries. Or..... their outcomes were the exception and they succeeded (as some always do) in spite of mediocre schools. IMO the success of a district is how well it does for the majority, not just a few. As noted by the OP, there are places where virtually everybody graduates and the vast majority go on to 4 year college and beyond. In those places it's the norm to "succeed" and the odds are in your favor. But as far as I know most of those places are NY, CT, NJ or MA suburbs, North Shore of Chicago and a few other places. Unfortunately none are in UT, where the odds of educational achievement seem far lower, at least according to the stats. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Old 11-08-2013, 09:28 PM

835 posts, read 2,075,981 times
http://www.americashealthrankings.org/all/graduation
Utah may spend the least per pupil but, it is a testament to the teachers and parents about how much is done with those few dollars.
Property taxes are significantly lower than New York, New Jersey and Kansas too.
Draw the conclusion you want.
If I were moving to the valley with school age children now, I would move to a neighborhood in the Granite School District. It appears to be the most financially stable and slowest growing district in the area.
Avoid the Jordan School District like the plague. The voters just turned down a 450+million dollar bond. Growth is estimated to the tune of 12k students in the next 5 years, bursting at the seams.
We need a head tax in this state...

Old 11-08-2013, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibarbie View Post
Avoid the Jordan School District like the plague. The voters just turned down a 450+million dollar bond.
Yikes, is that where Dcisive lives ?

The question here is actually that it is interesting to find out *why* they turned it down ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibarbie View Post
it is a testament to the teachers and parents about how much is done with those few dollars.
Kudos to you skibarbie for mentioning this !!!

Old 11-09-2013, 09:22 AM

2,619 posts, read 7,027,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibarbie
it is a testament to the teachers and parents about how much is done with those few dollars.

Absolutely. Based on expenditures the outcomes would be expected to be abysmal. There's no doubt that parental involvement and a supportive culture can compensate for a systemic and financial disadvantage, and that certainly pulls things up. Even so, the result in the aggregate is still lousy, at least for "college readiness" (whatever that is ) per US news stats: Search Utah High Schools | US News . Even the best schools are mediocre and it goes down from there. this suggests that the academically successful are the outliers.

Old 11-09-2013, 03:37 PM

After reading your input, I would like to thank you all for the advice and help. I think we've settled on the idea of private school. It's a shame that such a wonderful place isn't being funded as well as it should be. Thank you all for your help.

Old 11-09-2013, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myhobbyishobbies View Post
It's a shame that such a wonderful place isn't being funded as well as it should be.
You can say that again !!!
Especially when you take into account the amount of children this state has compared to other areas ...
I really never understood why !

My wife and I have always been very involved with the schools our children attended, regardless of where we lived.

I am not sure if this makes a difference but the majority of schools, our children attended, did have very little extra-curricular work, and very few highly organised sports programmes.
I never had anything like what they have in American School Systems.
The time I had *PE*, was may be two hours a week ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
View detailed profiles of: