U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 09:38 AM

8,440 posts, read 11,117,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyezRule View Post
I've read more responses. Yes, I'm very near 111. I have no relatives on the east side. Many neighbors do.

I suppose we are the 'freaks' here. We are NOT lds, but dd attends biweekly events with her bestie, ds is in cub scouts. Hubby and I run the age of cub scouts below ds. Lol hubby plays bball there and yearly football.

It's different for outsiders. I never experienced this neighborhood ness in Ohio.

A neighbor and I, with our dd's, my ds, and friends, ran around our 'hood collecting for our local battered women and children's shelter. Delivery is Thursday.

I'm just in love with all the giving and gatherings my neighborhood does.

It's just so foreign, but I embrace it here. I want to be close to all my neighbors. I love waving to everyone.

Our local missionaries, visited me today. I had them do 'service' by shoveling my drive. Hubby is in Florida for a week.

I swear, we usually get snow that week. lol
BuckeyezRule,

I love your posts! I worked in W. Jordan for ~ 15 yrs. Your honest responses are refreshing and needed.

Yes, parents who actively parent get involved with decisions at school and activities like Scouting, 4H etc. involving their children. There are no religious affiliation required, rather involved parents who don't leave parenting to electronic devices and default.

I'm glad you were able to have the missionaries shovel your driveway. I hope you sent some extra food home with them as they always can use it.

West Jordan has always been known as being accepting and inclusive of the disabled. To me, that says more about people than all the religions. Jordan Valley Medical Center was the first Westside hospital south of 3500 South. The 20 bed hospital drew staff and patients who shared the ideals the Sisters had. While rapid growth and affiliation with a regional hospital chain. Despite the changes, there are one or two statues in the Rose Garden where patients, families, visitors and staff can sit on a bench and reflect on whatever concerns they have.

As West Jordan has grown and "gotten older," it looks more and more like other cities with a more diverse and various ages in the population. I still consider it a bedroom community, although some manufacturing and white collar jobs. So traffic can be a problem.

Many don't realize from 90 th South it is equidistant to BSU or the U. of Utah. The time for the commute south has probably increased given the growth of W. Jordan, S. Jordan, the west part of.Draper/Herriman - and all Daybreak adds.

Like anywhere else, I believe residents can find and contribute what they are looking for. You are living proof of that, BuckeyezRule!

I think West Jordan is a little more difficult for singles than someplace like Sugar House or E. Millcreek etc. Nonetheless, there are certain community values which I believe are unique to West Jordan.

MSR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2013, 12:49 PM

21,869 posts, read 21,995,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
BuckeyezRule,

I love your posts! I worked in W. Jordan for ~ 15 yrs. Your honest responses are refreshing and needed.

Like anywhere else, I believe residents can find and contribute what they are looking for. You are living proof of that, BuckeyezRule!
Yeah, we all want BuckeyezRule to move to our neighborhood, but she continutes to insist on living out in West West Jordan!

Old 12-12-2013, 08:40 PM

13 posts, read 19,898 times
Thanks for all of the replies! It definitely gives us something to think about :-).

Old 12-16-2013, 08:12 AM

29 posts, read 40,866 times
West Jordan is a typical suburban area, just on the fringe of development a bit. You'll have a somewhat further drive and you'll get a much better deal on real estate than if you were along one of the more central southern suburbs like Midvale or Sandy. There is a much more rural vibe in WJ. Otherwise, it's basically par for the area. Many young families are buying out in WJ as new development occurs because they want to live south and Sandy and Draper are expensive.

Don't be turned off by anyone's description of aggressive neighbors. LDS intensity graduates slowly along the corridor from SLC to St. George. WJ is just like its neighboring suburbs. No one can guarantee you won't have an overly-aggressive neighbor, but no one can guarantee that no matter where you live or what the dominant religion is. Staking your claim and establishing your boundaries is just a normal part of acclimating to a new neighborhood anywhere in the world.

Old 01-18-2014, 11:50 PM

973 posts, read 1,853,671 times
thx! fwiw, our local missionaries begged to sledge hammer the ice on our drive, 'because they are bored'. Lol and shovel the slush out. Okay. this was just last week!!! they cleared our sidewalks too.

Then, they came to speak to our bear cub boys.

Our missionaries must have sweet teeth. Lol they love my hot cocoa, with a cinnamon stick. They asked for it each time they returned. lol

Quote:
BuckeyezRule,

Yes, parents who actively parent get involved with decisions at school and activities like Scouting, 4H etc. involving their children. There are no religious affiliation required, rather involved parents who don't leave parenting to electronic devices and default.

I'm glad you were able to have the missionaries shovel your driveway. I hope you sent some extra food home with them as they always can use it.

West Jordan has always been known as being accepting and inclusive of the disabled. To me, that says more about people than all the religions. Jordan Valley Medical Center was the first Westside hospital south of 3500 South. The 20 bed hospital drew staff and patients who shared the ideals the Sisters had. While rapid growth and affiliation with a regional hospital chain. Despite the changes, there are one or two statues in the Rose Garden where patients, families, visitors and staff can sit on a bench and reflect on whatever concerns they have.

As West Jordan has grown and "gotten older," it looks more and more like other cities with a more diverse and various ages in the population. I still consider it a bedroom community, although some manufacturing and white collar jobs. So traffic can be a problem.

Many don't realize from 90 th South it is equidistant to BSU or the U. of Utah. The time for the commute south has probably increased given the growth of W. Jordan, S. Jordan, the west part of.Draper/Herriman - and all Daybreak adds.

I think West Jordan is a little more difficult for singles than someplace like Sugar House or E. Millcreek etc. Nonetheless, there are certain community values which I believe are unique to West Jordan.

MSR

Old 01-22-2014, 09:47 PM

8,440 posts, read 11,117,663 times
Default Nice job

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyezRule View Post
thx! fwiw, our local missionaries begged to sledge hammer the ice on our drive, 'because they are bored'. Lol and shovel the slush out. Okay. this was just last week!!! they cleared our sidewalks too.

Then, they came to speak to our bear cub boys.

Our missionaries must have sweet teeth. Lol they love my hot cocoa, with a cinnamon stick. They asked for it each time they returned. lol
Buckeyez,

Missionaries from every church will want to visit. You must make great hot cocoa

I think you are awesome to make sure they have a warm drink on the colder days.

Some people like to create an issue where one doesn't exist. Then there are good people like you who find the good in all situations.

Nice job

MSR

Old 01-23-2014, 10:46 PM

2,447 posts, read 5,897,440 times
Quote:
Some people like to create an issue where one doesn't exist. Then there are good people like you who find the good in all situations.

MSR
Exactly! A neighbor is as a neighbor does. When we moved here I knew nothing about LDS except that I had some neighbors in Alaska that I used to babysit for when I was a teen. I couldn't tell you anything about their beliefs.

After we moved here, I realized that I certainly didn't want to be judged, criticized, outcast, condemned, ect, ect, ect about my religion, so why on earth would I ever behave that way toward others? That policy has worked well for me for the past 20 years that I have lived here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area