U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 08:36 PM

13,143 posts, read 19,100,631 times

Advertisements

So we recently accepted an offer on our place and will be moving soon (Currently living in South Davis County and working in downtown SLC).

We've been considering moving to Ogden but are being tempted to move to Brigham City... the reason being that we are old house lovers (maybe it's more accurate to say "old house nuts" ) and we just can't afford to buy a really cool big old Victorian house in a decent neighborhood within or close to SLC.

Brigham City is tempting because it's full of great old architecture at great prices (like Ogden) but it's not a place you need to keep your gun hand free at all times or shoo the drug dealers and/or bums off your front porch every morning . We've got 3 kids ages 6-14 so a safe, family-friendly area is very important.

Does anyone actually commute from Brigham to SLC (or do a daily 50 mile commute to/from anywhere)? I know that kind of thing is very common in places like LA but I don't know anyone here who does it.

I was thinking of using Frontrunner for at least half the daily trip; probably getting on at Ogden.

Thanks ahead of time for thoughts, opinons, advice and ridicule!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2013, 10:26 PM

763 posts, read 1,669,004 times
About 1,000 steps---from my big, old Victorian in downtown SLC.

There are plenty of affordable old houses in rapidly gentrifying areas, if you're willing to put some elbow grease in and give the area a few years to completely turn.

The year I bought my house, on my block there were three shootings (one in my backyard), a rape, five burglaries, several assaults, and more. Within two years though...crime was way down and now, 7 years later, it's essentially nonexistent. The timing was perfect, and by the time I'd finished renovating, the house's quality matched the neighborhood's.

Find that area of town for 2013 and you really can have it all. Central 9th.... west Sugar House.... Fairpark.... the neighborhoods are out there, if you have some faith, vision, and willingness to do your part. No "borderline" area will improve without hardworking people moving in. You won't be alone; the trend, both generationally and environmentally, is to move away from suburbs and into town, and that trend will only grow.

Old 11-26-2013, 07:57 AM

2,393 posts, read 5,200,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Does anyone actually commute from Brigham to SLC (or do a daily 50 mile commute to/from anywhere)? I know that kind of thing is very common in places like LA but I don't know anyone here who does it.

I was thinking of using Frontrunner for at least half the daily trip; probably getting on at Ogden.

Thanks ahead of time for thoughts, opinons, advice and ridicule!
My commute is a mere 27 miles, but I live in an area (NYC exurbs) where 50 miles is very, very common and we have many friends, neighbors and relatives that do have commutes like that. Lots of people are farther. Out here a 50 mile train ride equates to a commute of slightly over an hour. The obvious tradeoff here is larger house, more land and lower taxes with longer commute.

The concensus seems to be this: if you can commute by train it can be an excellent choice. NY is fortunate to have an extremely developed commuter rail system radiating from the city in every direction. On the train you can read, sleep or get some work done. It's not total downtime. People use the ride it to pay bills, etc etc. Driving is tiring, environmentally terrible, burns up cars at an amazing rate and, most of all, is unproductive.

Old 11-26-2013, 09:06 AM

1,961 posts, read 3,740,462 times
My family recently moved from Logan to Layton for a variety of reasons. I decided for the time being to not quit working, and was allowed to cut my hours from full-time to part time. I commute to Logan from Layton 3 days a week.

While its not the best driving an hour each way, its an EASY drive, its a pretty drive, and I get to catch up on my NPR stories . Plus on my days off, I have access to a lot more activities that are easy to get to with my children.

I am much happier being in Layton (though I did love Logan), and for me the sacrifice of a not-so-bad, albeit a little long commute is worth it.

Old 11-26-2013, 09:22 AM

2,284 posts, read 5,066,775 times
My Herriman to West Jordan is a mere 7 miles and 15 or so minutes on a good day. That's about all the commute I would want. I sure pity those that live up north and have to make the commute into Salt Lake, or even those that would drive from as far as Draper (or worse yet Utah county) to Salt Lake on I-15. It's a real roll of the dice before you have an accident or a broken windshield. I'd pass.....

Old 11-26-2013, 11:28 AM

5,000 posts, read 14,407,054 times
Mine's a little over 8 miles....wouldn't want a longer commute. Want to be near home in case I need to check on my dog. Don't handle traffic congestion or snowy roads well. Would much rather have a less stressful, short commute. Have always sought out prospective employment in relation to where home was at the time of the search. I am a native Utahn and my longest commute has been 15 minutes.

I have 2 coworkers who commute to SLC from Ogden and one from Layton. They seem to manage it just fine.

Good luck to you with your decision.

Old 11-26-2013, 12:52 PM

2,393 posts, read 5,200,688 times
Wow. I hope you guys know how good you got it.

Old 11-26-2013, 01:28 PM

2,284 posts, read 5,066,775 times
Oh you BET I DO. I've lived in several other cities and always had a horrid commute. Then I traveled for a living for a decade from Ohio to the West Coast by car. But I always arranged my schedule to miss rush hours. Was at my hotel by 3pm When I got off the road and began the job I'm in now, it was a blessing to just have that short commute. Hope it continues till I can't work anymore. If I had my wish I'd telecommute altogether. It sure would be sweet on those mornings I look out the window and see 6 or more inches of unplowed snow

Old 11-26-2013, 07:07 PM

5,312 posts, read 10,968,210 times
I used to commute 54 miles each way, but ... always in the *right* direction ...

Old 11-27-2013, 10:26 AM

5,000 posts, read 14,407,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
Wow. I hope you guys know how good you got it.
I do. I accepted less pay for a shorter, less stressful commute. Passed up several job opportunities (with higher pay and title) the keep my short commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area