U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2013, 06:36 PM

13 posts, read 10,276 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My name is Sean, I'm 25, and I'm seriously thinking of moving to SLC with my best friend. I'm Mormon, as evidenced by the message title, and I should have about $12,000 when I move there.

The only issue I have is how will I apply for apartments and jobs? I could have friends check out the apartments to make sure they aren't dilapidated pieces of crap, but how can I sign a lease, get interviewed and get a job? Do I have to wait until I'm out there?

I have six years of grocery store experience, and two years at Dunkin Donuts.

I'm also trying to convince my Uncle, a non-member, that this is a good idea. I'm looking for help with the apartment job questions, and help with reasons a non-member would understand.

I'm sorry if this seems to jump, or if I'm asking too much, but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sean
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2013, 08:15 PM

2,406 posts, read 5,257,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stellosean View Post
Hello,

My name is Sean, I'm 25, and I'm seriously thinking of moving to SLC with my best friend. I'm Mormon, as evidenced by the message title, and I should have about $12,000 when I move there.

The only issue I have is how will I apply for apartments and jobs? I could have friends check out the apartments to make sure they aren't dilapidated pieces of crap, but how can I sign a lease, get interviewed and get a job? Do I have to wait until I'm out there?

I have six years of grocery store experience, and two years at Dunkin Donuts.
Sounds like you need help with some general life tasks having nothing specific to do with SLC. You should post this on the "Work and Employment" forum. Regardless, if that's your experience then it's a good bet you'll be doing something similar in the foreseeable future. You need to move first. There's no way on god's green earth that you're going to get hired for retail before you get there. $12k should keep you going for a while while you search.

Old 12-30-2013, 10:33 AM

19,828 posts, read 56,050,708 times
Stay with a friend until you get a job. Or rent in an extended-stay motel. You can ask your current bishop for a referral to LDS services in SLC.

Old 12-31-2013, 06:18 PM

2,319 posts, read 2,491,862 times
If you are serious about moving to SLC, just to warn you, you will be competing for jobs that University of Utah students are taking -- many of the employers in that area hire only parttime workers to avoid having to pay benefits. Actually many of the employers throughout the entire State only hire parttime for that very reason, and so long as the employee base is willing to accept all of these parttime jobs I don't see that changing any time soon. I live here and work here, but my employer is not in Utah so I don't have to deal with these issues.

Old 12-31-2013, 07:44 PM

2,478 posts, read 4,871,684 times
Go to the "General Moving Issues" forum on here, and you'll find a lot of the answers you are looking for. I will say, don't look to sign an apartment lease until you have a job. It's a great way to drain your savings. I stayed at Camelot Inn which is a hostel and much cheaper than a hotel. then I found a really cheap room on craigslist. Got a part time job then a full time job and then upgraded to better digs.

Old 01-06-2014, 09:57 AM

6,801 posts, read 7,371,204 times
Dunkin Donuts is opening stores like crazy right now, they just opened 3 and they have 20 more to go. Check their website so see about jobs here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area