U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-11-2014, 01:01 AM
 
2,478 posts, read 4,851,531 times
Reputation: 4488

Advertisements

Not LDS and have had no problem finding work. Religious affiliation has not come up once in any interviews and most of the people I have met are not LDS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-15-2014, 11:32 AM
mlb
 
Location: North Monterey County
3,150 posts, read 2,831,227 times
Reputation: 4805
While this was 23 years ago - I had a local recruiter ask me if my boss asked me to help with his ward duties/work would I do that?

Uh... NO - not if it's not part of the job.

I did not find work with that recruiter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2014, 01:02 PM
 
Location: Salt Lake City
21,869 posts, read 21,995,378 times
Reputation: 10620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
Not LDS and have had no problem finding work. Religious affiliation has not come up once in any interviews and most of the people I have met are not LDS.
I'm always curious as to how one knows the religious preferences of most of the people they meet? I mean, if you're talking about the people you socialize regularly with, yeah, you'd probably be able to figure that out, given enouh time. But in a given day, you might interact with a half a dozen people and never have any clue as to their religion. In the case of most of the people who interviewed me for jobs over the years, I definitely wouldn't have been able to guess one way or the other what their religion was. There were a few instances in which the clues were pretty obvious, but not many. I just got a new chiropractor and a new primary care physician. I have no idea whether they're LDS or not. I'm taking a class at the University of Utah. I don't have a clue as to whether my instructor is LDS or not. I know that the instructor I had last semester (4 days a week for 15 weeks) was raised LDS, but I don't know if he still is or not. I didn't figure out that he once had been until about the last week of class when I overheard him talking to another student and he mentioned having served an LDS mission. We have used the same plumber for years and years and he has been in our house many, many times. Is he LDS? I have no idea. I've been taking my pets to the same veterinary clinic for years. I know three out of the four vets very well and they know me very well. One of them mentioned to me that she is an atheist. I have no idea about the others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2014, 03:40 PM
 
Location: Central City, SLC
763 posts, read 1,674,197 times
Reputation: 774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I'm always curious as to how one knows the religious preferences of most of the people they meet? I mean, if you're talking about the people you socialize regularly with, yeah, you'd probably be able to figure that out, given enouh time. But in a given day, you might interact with a half a dozen people and never have any clue as to their religion. In the case of most of the people who interviewed me for jobs over the years, I definitely wouldn't have been able to guess one way or the other what their religion was. There were a few instances in which the clues were pretty obvious, but not many. I just got a new chiropractor and a new primary care physician. I have no idea whether they're LDS or not. I'm taking a class at the University of Utah. I don't have a clue as to whether my instructor is LDS or not. I know that the instructor I had last semester (4 days a week for 15 weeks) was raised LDS, but I don't know if he still is or not. I didn't figure out that he once had been until about the last week of class when I overheard him talking to another student and he mentioned having served an LDS mission. We have used the same plumber for years and years and he has been in our house many, many times. Is he LDS? I have no idea. I've been taking my pets to the same veterinary clinic for years. I know three out of the four vets very well and they know me very well. One of them mentioned to me that she is an atheist. I have no idea about the others.
I can usually tell if a stranger is (active) LDS by the CTR ring on their finger, or the garment lines under their clothes. Absent that, I don't know how someone would be able to tell. And people who are not former members probably wouldn't even know where/how to look for garment lines. But for those of us who do know, it's usually very obvious very quickly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2014, 04:41 PM
 
2,478 posts, read 4,851,531 times
Reputation: 4488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I'm always curious as to how one knows the religious preferences of most of the people they meet? I mean, if you're talking about the people you socialize regularly with, yeah, you'd probably be able to figure that out, given enouh time. But in a given day, you might interact with a half a dozen people and never have any clue as to their religion. In the case of most of the people who interviewed me for jobs over the years, I definitely wouldn't have been able to guess one way or the other what their religion was. There were a few instances in which the clues were pretty obvious, but not many. I just got a new chiropractor and a new primary care physician. I have no idea whether they're LDS or not. I'm taking a class at the University of Utah. I don't have a clue as to whether my instructor is LDS or not. I know that the instructor I had last semester (4 days a week for 15 weeks) was raised LDS, but I don't know if he still is or not. I didn't figure out that he once had been until about the last week of class when I overheard him talking to another student and he mentioned having served an LDS mission. We have used the same plumber for years and years and he has been in our house many, many times. Is he LDS? I have no idea. I've been taking my pets to the same veterinary clinic for years. I know three out of the four vets very well and they know me very well. One of them mentioned to me that she is an atheist. I have no idea about the others.
Sometimes I ask. Many times they volunteer the info out of the blue (example: I was at a vendor, only my 2nd time at this stop when the Manager I was working with started talking about sending his kids on missions. We had never had a conversation before). Another guy plopped down in my booth when I was at a bar one day to watch a football game, never met the guy. Said his name, then said "my first time in a bar. I used to be LDS but left the church about a year ago" and then proceeded to ask me for drinking advice. It seems to come up very frequently in social settings, more so than anywhere else I've been in. In some of the groups I'm in, all the former LDS tend to share stories as to why they left. When I meet someone new, I can usually spot them if I get to talk to them. Like it or not, LDS members are more reserved than those of us who are not LDS. It comes out in speech. It comes out in body language. It comes out in your lifestyle. Religion is restrictive and controlling and if you are someone who pays attention to details or picks up nuances, it's usually fairly easy to spot if you are in the right setting because they are following guidelines and lifestyle rules. It's not instantaneous, but given enough conversation, I can steer the conversation down a road quickly to find out without offending or coming off as nosy if I can't figure it out. I'm not reserved at all so I tend to notice when people have religious indoctrination in them, as although an atheist, I wasn't always.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2014, 07:48 PM
 
Location: Salt Lake City
21,869 posts, read 21,995,378 times
Reputation: 10620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zionide View Post
I can usually tell if a stranger is (active) LDS by the CTR ring on their finger, or the garment lines under their clothes. Absent that, I don't know how someone would be able to tell. And people who are not former members probably wouldn't even know where/how to look for garment lines. But for those of us who do know, it's usually very obvious very quickly.
LOL! I don't wear a CTR ring (and it's actually a minority of Mormons who do), and I make it a point to not wear clothes that show my garment line. Summer clothes are often thin enough that you can see the line, but most often, winter clothes aren't. If you were to meet me, and didn't know in advance that I was LDS, you'd have to come right out and ask me. If you didn't ask, we could talk for a couple of hours and you'd have no clue. That's how I like it. I joined a book club about a year ago at the invitation of one of my best friends, who is non-LDS. When I joined, I didn't ask her about the religious affiliation of the rest of the members because, quite frankly, I could care less what they are. We've been meeting about once a month since we started getting together, and the subject has never come up. Now I'm one of the only ones who doesn't have a glass of wine when we meet, so maybe they all thought they had me figured out after a month or so. I probably left them scratching their heads, though, when it was my turn to host the club and I served wine (even though I didn't drink any).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2014, 07:56 PM
 
Location: Salt Lake City
21,869 posts, read 21,995,378 times
Reputation: 10620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
Sometimes I ask. Many times they volunteer the info out of the blue...
Interesting. I'm not surprised that many often volunteer the information, but I am kind of surprised that you'd ask. One complaint that I hear constantly from people is that as soon as they get settled here in Salt Lake, somebody asks them if they're LDS. They say they've never been asked their religion anywhere else they've lived. The thing is, it's supposedly always the LDS people doing the asking, never the non-LDS people. It's nice to know you guys are guilty, too. Unless it's really pertinent to the conversation, I never ask anybody their religion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2014, 10:16 PM
 
Location: The other side of the mountain
2,447 posts, read 5,897,440 times
Reputation: 1185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
LOL! I don't wear a CTR ring (and it's actually a minority of Mormons who do), and I make it a point to not wear clothes that show my garment line. Summer clothes are often thin enough that you can see the line, but most often, winter clothes aren't. If you were to meet me, and didn't know in advance that I was LDS, you'd have to come right out and ask me. If you didn't ask, we could talk for a couple of hours and you'd have no clue. That's how I like it. I joined a book club about a year ago at the invitation of one of my best friends, who is non-LDS. When I joined, I didn't ask her about the religious affiliation of the rest of the members because, quite frankly, I could care less what they are. We've been meeting about once a month since we started getting together, and the subject has never come up. Now I'm one of the only ones who doesn't have a glass of wine when we meet, so maybe they all thought they had me figured out after a month or so. I probably left them scratching their heads, though, when it was my turn to host the club and I served wine (even though I didn't drink any).
This is true! I have met Katz and if I didn't know otherwise, I would have NEVER known she was LDS. Not that it matters, because is just awesome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2014, 11:54 PM
 
Location: Central City, SLC
763 posts, read 1,674,197 times
Reputation: 774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
LOL! I don't wear a CTR ring (and it's actually a minority of Mormons who do), and I make it a point to not wear clothes that show my garment line. Summer clothes are often thin enough that you can see the line, but most often, winter clothes aren't.
It's definitely easier to see in some clothes than others, but I find it's often more obvious on men than women. Men's dress/business slacks are ALWAYS a dead giveaway when they're sitting, with that shorts line just above the knee, and men's dress shirts are very often thin enough to see what my grandmother called "the eternal smile" of one particular style of shirt garment. The newer shirt styles for men aren't as obvious, but the embroidery signs are still sometimes visible through dress shirts if you know what you're looking for.

This all sounds much weirder than it really is... it's not like I go around LOOKING for these signs. They just started jumping out at me after many years a member!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2014, 10:57 PM
 
Location: West Jordan, UT
973 posts, read 1,853,671 times
Reputation: 589
It just takes getting used to. sure, it's always assumed by strangers that I'm LDS. I don't take that as a bad thing. I'm a bear cub leader, with hubby, I attend RS, DD attends activity days. Ds is active in scouts.

I'm guilty of assuming strangers are LDS and I've spoken to them as such. Which is interesting, considering I'm not LDS, perhaps 'feeling' others out. I respect the LDS faith, and we are very active non members.

I've never directly asked anyone their religion. Hubby interviews new hires. He has had some who 'slip in' that they are LDS. Like it makes a difference. Not for hubby's workplace.

I think any 'edge', whatever it is that new hires can get, they use. I would too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Interesting. I'm not surprised that many often volunteer the information, but I am kind of surprised that you'd ask. One complaint that I hear constantly from people is that as soon as they get settled here in Salt Lake, somebody asks them if they're LDS. They say they've never been asked their religion anywhere else they've lived. The thing is, it's supposedly always the LDS people doing the asking, never the non-LDS people. It's nice to know you guys are guilty, too. Unless it's really pertinent to the conversation, I never ask anybody their religion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:31 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top