U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 11:44 AM

21 posts, read 38,916 times

Advertisements

I've being checking places to move to for a while now. Utah is one of my favorites. I've visited the state twice and really love it. I've seing the city, desert, lakes and mountains (not in the winter, though...), and I,m in love with it. My experience with the people was great, so far, friendly and considerate. But all that was while visiting. I've being told (by people who has lived there) that is very hard to find jobs in Utah if you are not a mormon. Is this a general thought? If I move to Utah, I really need to work and be able to find work, based on my studies and work experience, not my religion affilietions. The truth be I never experienced any disconfort or discrimination while there, but vacationing or visiting is no the same as living in a place. Any comments?

PS: I am a christian that can get along with any other believes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2014, 11:54 AM

1,589 posts, read 2,194,269 times
I am not LDS and I have never experienced any difficulties on this issue.

I think this is yet another of these LDS v Non-LDS stories that gets spread around. Now, I'm not saying this has never happened - that people have never experienced discrimination in hiring because of their religion. But, I am saying it's just not an issue for the vast majority of job seekers.

Bill

Old 01-09-2014, 12:32 PM

1,961 posts, read 3,747,437 times
I am not LDS and have had no problem whatsoever finding and keeping employment.

Same things are important here as everywhere - do you have the skills and educational requirements to do the job, and do you have good references to back up what you say you can do.

Old 01-09-2014, 05:17 PM

2,321 posts, read 2,476,582 times
No, you don't have to be LDS to find employment in Utah,

BUT depending upon the nature of your work and who your employer is, you may in fact run into some discrimination with job promotions, etc. I'm lucky that my employer is out of State so I don't have to be concerned about that, but I have many friends who work in various industries, including for Cities and the State, and if they don't, as non-LDS would say, wear the "magic underwear" they have noticed that LDS are given priority when an LDS employer makes decisions over promotions. And if you are a woman in a predominate male occupation, you may also notice that LDS males will be given first pick over some jobs because of course it is the little woman's role to be at home raising the children. I do not know if that is the norm or not, but it most certainly does exist and it is absolutely ILLEGAL -- but when you have a group in power it is very difficult to do anything about that.

Old 01-09-2014, 06:06 PM

21,867 posts, read 21,991,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatillana View Post
I've being checking places to move to for a while now. Utah is one of my favorites. I've visited the state twice and really love it. I've seing the city, desert, lakes and mountains (not in the winter, though...), and I,m in love with it. My experience with the people was great, so far, friendly and considerate. But all that was while visiting. I've being told (by people who has lived there) that is very hard to find jobs in Utah if you are not a mormon. Is this a general thought? If I move to Utah, I really need to work and be able to find work, based on my studies and work experience, not my religion affilietions. The truth be I never experienced any disconfort or discrimination while there, but vacationing or visiting is no the same as living in a place. Any comments?

PS: I am a christian that can get along with any other believes.
Hatillana, I am LDS and have lived in Utah all my life. The only time a prospective employer ever even hinted that he wanted to know my religious affiliation (he was LDS, too), I let him know that I was. I did not get the job.

Trust me, there are non-LDS people working in jobs all over Utah, and a lot of them are in upper management. Anyone who would pretend that it's going to be a problem for you is likely just using imagined discrimination as an excuse for why he couldn't get ahead in the workplace. If you're competent and a hard worker, you'll do fine whether you're LDS or not. And if things don't work out, it won't be because of your religion.

Old 01-10-2014, 04:16 AM

62 posts, read 172,101 times
"Dominant group" dynamics apply in any society. I suggest you determine what you think is the dominant group in Utah and draw your conclusions from there.

"Enuff said!"

Old 01-10-2014, 05:29 AM

21 posts, read 38,916 times
thank you all for your replies! There were all very helpful.

Old 01-10-2014, 07:33 AM

19,814 posts, read 55,771,747 times
I found a good job there and I am not LDS. I move away to be near my grandkids.

Old 01-10-2014, 08:00 AM

13,143 posts, read 19,134,646 times
You also need to show a valid Temple Recommend to get into bars here...

Old 01-10-2014, 06:37 PM

3 posts, read 3,386 times
No, it'd be discrimination. Unless you want to work for the LDS church...which I am sure you don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or