U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 09:04 PM

27 posts, read 37,584 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! My fiancée may be getting a job at Hill Air Force base. He's a civilian contractor. (No kids and both just turned 30) We moved from vegas (my hometown) to destin, fl now hopefully permanently to Utah. We love so much what it has to offer..mountains, kayaking, camping, skiing..lots of outdoor activities. And GREEN..vegas is so boring looking ,besides for mt. Charleston. Anyways, anyone have advice of any towns to pick close by to base? I'm looking into Layton..we can handle a 30-45 min commute to work. we're looking to buy a home and would like running trails and parks close by , mountain scenic while driving...and hopefully all the shopping you need and maybe a cute downtown setting without having to go to slc.. Farmers market and gyms.. Also maybe some shooting ranges close-by? He's has guns he likes to shoot and I have a bow an arrows for archery I like to practice with! Also, does the snow get pretty dangerous out there,as I'm not use to driving in it..Hope that was enough starting info on what were looking for, any suggestions or advice are greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2014, 01:42 AM

763 posts, read 1,674,998 times
In reading your post, my gut says you'd really enjoy Ogden for its excellent access to recreation and truly "cute" downtown, as long as it's not larger than what you're looking for---since you say you're looking for "towns." Brigham City might be a good, smaller option, too, and it's within your 45-minute commute limit.

I don't think Layton would be quite right in the "cute downtown setting" or "farmer's market." It's more of a strip-mall, suburban, stucco kinda place. Though good access to recreation.

The snow will probably not be a problem if you have decent tires and especially an AWD or at least FWD car. The roads are generally plowed very well.

Old 01-23-2014, 11:12 AM

1,961 posts, read 3,749,294 times
I recently moved to Layton, and while I have not been there long enough to answer all of your questions, I can say so far we are enjoying it. At lease from where our home is, we can get on I-15 in less than 10 minutes, and can be at Snowbasin (local ski area) in 30 minutes.

There are also several trails in the Layton area (see link) and parks.. Antelope Island is not too far away, and has trails for mountain biking, hiking. Plus its just an interesting place to visit.

Layton is very suburban, and lacks a real down town. I have not been here during the farmer's market season to know whether or not there is one. But as the pp mentioned, it is mostly strip-malls and big box type stores. We are stil learning the area and trying to find out more local restaurants.

It is definitely mountain scenic. Here is a picture out my front door.

I have cars with AWD, which would be important. If you like to get out in the winter time, you definitely will want that, plus invest in some good snow tires, or at least good quality all-season tires. Its rare that the roads are not plowed and driving is not too challenging, unless it is a particularly big storm.

Old 01-23-2014, 10:19 PM

8,440 posts, read 11,122,323 times
Default I Don't Know if Layton is the Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLP30 View Post
Hi everyone! My fiancée may be getting a job at Hill Air Force base. He's a civilian contractor. (No kids and both just turned 30) We moved from vegas (my hometown) to destin, fl now hopefully permanently to Utah. We love so much what it has to offer..mountains, kayaking, camping, skiing..lots of outdoor activities. And GREEN..vegas is so boring looking ,besides for mt. Charleston. Anyways, anyone have advice of any towns to pick close by to base? I'm looking into Layton..we can handle a 30-45 min commute to work. we're looking to buy a home and would like running trails and parks close by , mountain scenic while driving...and hopefully all the shopping you need and maybe a cute downtown setting without having to go to slc.. Farmers market and gyms.. Also maybe some shooting ranges close-by? He's has guns he likes to shoot and I have a bow an arrows for archery I like to practice with! Also, does the snow get pretty dangerous out there,as I'm not use to driving in it..Hope that was enough starting info on what were looking for, any suggestions or advice are greatly appreciated!
CLP30,

I think you've gotten so good thoughts above. While I think Layton is nice, I don't know if you want to be by surrounded by all the kids and young families. Everyone is right- Layton is more suburban with good road access.

It depends partly on how much you want to invest. Brigham City does meet a lot of your criteria and is closest to the ID border and Sardine Canyon to Logan. Layton or Kaysville are closer to Salt Lake City. A good realtor could help.

Good luck

MSR

Old 01-25-2014, 07:54 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,227,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLP30 View Post
Well, what if I told you that Layton has everything you've asked for, but a cute downtown?

1. Has good parks and running trails in the east part of the city.

2. There is a Farmers Market, but it is generally only open in the autumn.

3. There is a county shooting range located in East Layton on the boundary of Kaysville/Layton.

4. There are gymns in Layton and even a public swimming pool.

5. Driving in the snow here is rarely dangerous.

6. Layton has a downtown, but its not cute. It was built when the city was much smaller and the city has expanded more on its fringes than from the center. I would describe the downtown as old with little going on. Although, IHC is going to build a hospital there before too long and that may serve to revitalize the downtown a bit. Since, it has everything else, you may simply choose to overlook the absence of a nice downtown area and enjoy the other amenities. If you can't do that, I'd recommend you consider Roy or Clearfield. Neither one, though, really has a cute downtown.

7. You will see plenty of mountains driving to Hill Air Force Base.

Old 01-26-2014, 01:42 PM

31 posts, read 81,667 times
You're going to have lots of mountain scenery while driving anywhere along the Wasatch Front with mountains close by to your east and in the distance to your west. I'd give Ogden the slight edge in scenery over Layton because it also gives you an additional mountain view to the north (Ben Lomond, probably the most scenic mountain in the area north of Salt Lake) as well as easy access to Ogden Canyon which is a really pretty drive. My wife joked when we were house hunting out here that I was going to get into many accidents because I'm always looking around at the scenery while driving.

As others have mentioned, Layton doesn't really have that cute downtown feel at all. It's mostly strip malls, chain restaurants (Outback, Red Lobster, etc), and the like. Ogden has much more of what you're looking for on that front with the historic 25th street downtown area. Local restaurants/bars, weekly farmer's market in-season, Xmas village setup during the holidays, etc.

Both Ogden and Layton offer convenient access to Snowbasin (one of the most underrated ski resorts out there, don't let the secret out) in less than 30 minutes. Both (and anywhere along the Wasatch front) offer a never-ending list of outdoor activities right from your doorstep, though I would say Ogden's is a little more extensive, though Layton is closer to the Cottonwood Canyons in SLC.

Layton's main advantage over Ogden is in convenience. It's more convenient to Salt Lake City by about 15 minutes which could be an issue for work and for dining (while Ogden's downtown has some good options, SLC has far more), it's closer to the base, chain stores/restaurants are much more accessible, etc.

From the brief description in your OP, it sounds like Ogden is a bit better fit for you than Layton, though that depends how much convenience matters to you as you'd be further from the base, further from SLC, etc.

Old 01-29-2014, 02:54 AM

164 posts, read 278,320 times
I have lived in Utah almost my whole life in a small town of about 10,000 people. I decided to move my family north due to a new job out of SLC. While looking for homes I found some awesome deals in Clinton which is right next to Layton and I will agree with the previous posts that Layton has almost everything you want. IMO anywhere between ogden-Layton meets what you looking for

Old 01-30-2014, 08:35 PM

Thank you every one for the feedback! I was not alerted I had any responses and happened to come across it looking at other forums haha.

After talking some more, we've expanded our locations, apparently location isn't a problem.. so ideally I'd love park city from what I see, just too expensive. So looking into the South jordan/hollday area or still Layton/ogden area.. guess I cant go wrong with layton or ogden..like the idea of being closer to slc from layton, and I'm hearing mixed reviews on ogden downtown being high crime, so that worries me..not too worried about the farmers market stuff, I can easily go to slc for stuff like that. . As far as the vehicles I drive a rear wheel dodge charger with all season tires.. so I hope it doesn't give me many issues come winter! Hopefully we'll figure it out soon, we'll be moving in August! Aside from the air quality I keep hearing about, I'm super excited for the outdoor living out there.

Old 01-30-2014, 08:39 PM

Great picture btw! That's exactly what I'm looking forward to is the view!

Old 01-30-2014, 09:46 PM

1,961 posts, read 3,749,294 times
oh, rear wheel drive would not be so good for winter driving here. Especially on mountain roads.
Good luck with your decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area