Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 02:24 PM

56 posts, read 68,419 times

Advertisements

Planning ahead for a trip to Utah with 2 kids - ages 6 and 10. My 10 year old is anxious to go see Bryce Canyon as he shares his name with it so that is #1 on the to do list. For the most part, it looks like the majority of "stuff to do" is in SLC though. We're planning on driving (from Texas) and I figure Bryce Canyon and the surrounding area will take up a good part of a day at least plus the drive - what other excursions do you recommend in the area for young kids (both boys)? Also, would it be best to actually stay in Provo for a closer drive to Bryce Canyon? I'm trying to figure out Bryce Canyon as well - are there guided tours or kid friendly trails? Maps or routes to follow? Places to eat or should we bring food for a picnic? Any and all info is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2014, 06:15 PM

27,937 posts, read 29,783,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny82 View Post
Planning ahead for a trip to Utah with 2 kids - ages 6 and 10. My 10 year old is anxious to go see Bryce Canyon as he shares his name with it so that is #1 on the to do list. For the most part, it looks like the majority of "stuff to do" is in SLC though. We're planning on driving (from Texas) and I figure Bryce Canyon and the surrounding area will take up a good part of a day at least plus the drive - what other excursions do you recommend in the area for young kids (both boys)? Also, would it be best to actually stay in Provo for a closer drive to Bryce Canyon? I'm trying to figure out Bryce Canyon as well - are there guided tours or kid friendly trails? Maps or routes to follow? Places to eat or should we bring food for a picnic? Any and all info is greatly appreciated.
Well, you can't share yur name with a more incredible place than Bryce Canyon. It is absolutely spectacular! If I were you, I'd pick up a copy of 50 Best Short Hikes in Utah's National Parks. You can get it through Amazon. The book breaks down the hikes in each of Utah's 5 national parks, and gives both a "Difficulty Rating," based on the length of he hike, the elevation change, the availability of shade, etc., and also a "Child Rating" broken down by age groups. Both of your kids could handle the Navajo Loop. If there happens to be no moon when you're there, be sure to go outside after dark to get a view of the night skies that you'll never forget.

If you're going to Bryce, I kind of think it would be a mistake to miss Zion. The two are just an hour and a half a part, but vastly different from one another. Bryce is actually a little further off the beaten path than Zion. I'd hate to see you drive right by Zion and not stop to see it.

Here's a thread you might want to read through for suggestions on what to do in the Salt Lake City area. A lot of these things would be fun for kids.

Old 01-30-2014, 12:54 AM

404 posts, read 1,190,984 times
Provo is not really near Bryce Canyon so it is not really a good option for your trip.

You will want to stay at one of the hotels near the Park (Best Western Plus is good) or in one of the places between Panguitch and the Park. The rooms inside the park are a bit pricey but it is incredible to go for an evening walk. The night skies there are absolutely amazing. It is funny. People who have spent a good deal of time in both parks develop a preference. My choice would be Bryce as I love the amphitheater and looking at the hoodoos. Zion has a wider range of scenery but it is usually too crowded for me.

However, if you want to do both Zion and Bryce you have a few options. Cedar City is about half way between the two. Zion is about a 45 minute drive and Bryce is about an hour. If you are going in the summer there is always some type of festival happening. There are a few great ways to get to Bryce from Cedar. You can go through Parowan and head up Parowan Canyon and drive by Brian Head Ski Resort (elevation over 10,000) and take the road to Panguitch Lake. This will bring you into Panguitch where you can follow the signs to Bryce Canyon. You will go through Red Canyon National Forest. Your boys will think they are in the Cars movie as you drive through red rock arches. There are a few really easy trails to hike here. Get out at the visitor center and walk around a bit. Before you go to Bryce, or Zion, go to their websites and check their event schedules. There are usually Jr. Ranger programs for the kids.

Old 06-03-2014, 01:45 PM

56 posts, read 68,419 times
Thanks for the info guys - finally getting everything planned out - thanks for the tips. I'm thinking of going for spring break for a week and we'll stop on the way up at my Uncle's in Albuquerque for one night.

In your opinion, how many days could be spent in the Bryce/Zion area? That was one of the reasons I was thinking of staying closer to SLC as we would just plan on going to Bryce/Zion for one day and then spend a few in SLC. Is that enough time? Knowing my kids, they will be impressed the first day with the trails, but my youngest may get bored quick if we plan on staying down there 3-4 days and do nothing by hike. I noticed there was an amusement park up in SLC that I know they would love plus other things.

Old 06-03-2014, 03:46 PM

5,118 posts, read 16,563,044 times
Spring break? Do you mean next year?

What amusement park is in Salt Lake? Do you mean Lagoon in Farmington?

Old 06-03-2014, 04:26 PM

2,502 posts, read 6,954,591 times
If you are talking about Lagoon, I *believe* that they are only open on weekends during spring break. There are several museums and an amusement center (Boondocks) that they might enjoy up this way, too.

Old 06-04-2014, 10:35 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,809,190 times
OK, Spring break or not ... ,
from Albuquerque to Utah, when you want to visit Zion or Bryce,
I assume you can follow the route from ABQ via Gallup and
then keep on going west towards St. George.
Since that trip will take you *all day*,
you will have to get some kind of accommodation in St. George,
and then from there either visit Zion and/or Bryce.
I am not sure if you can or want to do both in one day.

Zion National Park is about a 30 plus minute drive from St. George,
and might take you most of the day,
*IF* you decide to stay at a motel/hotel in St. George.
**Make sure the place has a pool !! Not much else to do for kids during the afternoon or evening.***
There is a lodge in Zion, so check that if you like to here:
Lodging in Zion National Park, Utah | Zion National Park Lodge

I assume that whole trip will/might take you most of the day.

Then from there you could go to Bryce
Check here for accommodations:
https://www.nationalparkreservations...A#.U49ELSiorqw

This will take you all day.
Make sure you have plenty of water with you, some snacks and good walking shoes.
You *can look at it* from the top end, but to experience it you do need walk into the canyon.
There are also some scenic drives and photo shoot stops.
Bryce Canyon National Park | Bryce Canyon Country

After these trips, go north to Salt Lake City and stay at any decent motel/hotel.
You can take the quick way via I-15 (about 4 hours),
or use the scenic byways (Stay on 89 -- a lot longer !) to get to Salt Lake.

For Lagoon, schedule your visit here:
https://www.lagoonpark.com/admissions/parkSchedule

Then contact Katzpur about The Salt Lake area attractions.
I believe she is still available on weekends in downtown for Tourist info ?

From then, you are on your own.
Explore and have fun !

A bit south of Salt Lake City, is an area called : Thanksgiving Point.
About a 20 minute drive from downtown Salt Lake.
You can easily spent a whole day there.
The Dinosaur Museum, with a 3D theater in the same building.
http://www.thanksgivingpoint.org/vis...mofancientlife
A farm exhibit *next door*.
The *new* Museum of Natural Curiosity is about a 10 minute drive from there.
https://www.thanksgivingpoint.org/vi...turalcuriosity
In between the two attractions, a few eateries.

Halfway between Salt Lake and Thanksgiving Point is a new Aquarium,
but I do not know if it is open yet.
Anybody on this forum knows if it is open ?

There is a smaller aquarium near there but somebody else on this forum
needs to clarify where that one is.

A bit on the north end of Salt Lake is the Utah Hogle Zoo.
Utah's Hogle Zoo
In the same neighbourhood:
http://nhmu.utah.edu/?gclid=CPDymr7V4L4CFWNgMgodkCAA1Q

TIP:
At any hotel/motel in Utah, check out the stands where they have all those brochures sitting.
Many times they give you discount on tickets, so be sure to check out those.

Last but not least,
Do NOT Get Caught driving with your phone in your hands !!!

Last edited by irman; 06-04-2014 at 10:49 AM..

Old 06-04-2014, 11:26 AM

The aquarium is open. I am not sure which smaller one you are talking about Irman? There used to be one in Sandy, but they have moved that to their new larger location in Draper.

The Living Planet Aquarium

Old 06-04-2014, 03:35 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,809,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytidid View Post
The aquarium is open. I am not sure which smaller one you are talking about Irman? There used to be one in Sandy, but they have moved that to their new larger location in Draper.

The Living Planet Aquarium
I thnk the one you call *one in Sandy*, is the one I was thinking about.
It was on a corner off one of the main thoroughfares in Sandy.

Old 06-04-2014, 04:36 PM

Yeah, that was their old location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area