U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2014, 03:34 PM

3 posts, read 6,909 times

Advertisements

I am investigating a possible move to SLC this summer due to husbands new job. I have read several of the threads about areas with non LDS vs. LDS, but that's not really my major concern when it come to the location of my family's new home. I am really concerned with which school system is better, Granite or Canyons, or what school is particurally outstanding in either district. I have found test scores and free lunch data online, which is helpful, but that doesn't tell me about how the school or the district is run and how they treat their students. I am looking more for pros and concs of both districts based on personal experiences. I have a 6 year old and a 9 year old, so elementary schools are my primary focus, but middle school is not far off.

We are trying to settle on an area to live based on school attendance zones. I have been looking online mostly at Sandy and Cottonwood Heights, but also closely at Holladay and Sugar House

Any information you can add to aid in my search would be helpful.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2014, 06:07 PM

835 posts, read 1,891,098 times
You can plop your kids into whichever school district you choose no matter where you live, unfortunately.
We were in Granite ane were very pleased.
Canyons is a new "zone" that split off due to the tax burden of the Jordan district...
If it were me, check the property tax rates, then pick your neighborhood.
Not sure if it is true-and haven't verified as it doesn't matter to me-but have heard that Holladay has the highest property taxes...

Old 02-08-2014, 09:26 AM

I was unaware all districts around Salt Lake City allowed school choice, I thought it was only Granite. That being said, however, I am not a fan of school choice. I'd rather live close to where my children will attend school to help provide a sense of community.

If anyone has recomendations of good schools in either sugar House/ Holladay/ Olympus cove area or Sandy/ Cottonwood Heights area I would love to hear them.

Old 02-09-2014, 02:55 PM

29 posts, read 45,015 times
Sandy and Cottonwood Heights are going to have the best schooling available in the Valley with Jordan and Brighton being their primary facilities. That said, they aren't that good compared to schools in other states, and youth culture in SLC is the one thing where it _is_ actually worth worrying about LDS v non-LDS dichotomy, as it's extremely visible in local high school socialization. I would be concerned to ensure that your children can handle it.

If the anecdote is worth anything to you, my mother-in-law had her younger children sent to Jordan after she felt her older children were slighted at Brighton. She has the impression that Brighton's administration has an overt institutional focus on athletics and considers other pursuits secondary. I don't know anything about her rationale or its validity, though.

Old 02-09-2014, 03:29 PM

24,073 posts, read 24,497,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doxnal View Post
...and youth culture in SLC is the one thing where it _is_ actually worth worrying about LDS v non-LDS dichotomy, as it's extremely visible in local high school socialization. I would be concerned to ensure that your children can handle it.
In m experience, most non-LDS students seem to be "handling it" quite well. I know that when my kids were in high school, they had both LDS and non-LDS friends.

Old 02-10-2014, 12:04 AM

763 posts, read 1,848,586 times
Quote:
Sandy and Cottonwood Heights are going to have the best schooling available in the Valley with Jordan and Brighton being their primary facilities.
I don't think that's true at all. Skyline's academics (Granite District) are consistently ranked higher than either Jordan or Brighton, and West High generally fares better, too, with it's IB program. While the OP is primarily interested in elementary (and possibly middle school), these high schools' performance is indicative of the feeder schools, too. If it were me, I'd go East Millcreek and focus on Skyline.

Old 02-10-2014, 09:01 AM

835 posts, read 1,891,098 times
What Zionide said and I am a parent of a Skyline grad too..

Old 02-10-2014, 10:08 AM

11,034 posts, read 10,619,723 times
Skyline is a top notch high school. I met many Skyline grads at the University of Utah and I was startled just how many there were at the U.

Old 02-10-2014, 09:51 PM

57 posts, read 129,002 times
Quote:
That said, they aren't that good compared to schools in other states...
This. As a military family, we've sent our kids to schools in VA and KS so far and I've found the curriculum here to be far less intense than anywhere else. My boys are both way above their peers (based on stats presented to us at conferences by their teachers) and, although they are smart kids, they aren't *this* smart. I have genuine concerns for when we moved from UT to another state in 2 years.

Old 02-11-2014, 06:07 AM

Thanks for the referral to skyline high feeder schools. I've been checking the east Millcreek area out. Definitely added to my list. Caliber of education is certainly a concern.
Any thoughts on which elementary school is better than the other? Morning side and Howard Driggs are rated high on great schools.com.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area