U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2014, 07:01 PM

27 posts, read 122,768 times

Advertisements

Okay so I have been on hold with an organization in San Jose area for over a month for a position. Meanwhile, a few months ago, I had a phone interview with an organization in the SLC area. I did not hear back from them and moved on my search for other positions. A few weeks ago I saw an advertisement for the same position in SLC and reestablished contact. So now I am doing some research in the possibility of relocating in your area (I thought I had everything planned with going to California ).

First, I would be relocating with my family, we are a large, family of 8 total. I see 4 and 5 bedroom rentals are the same if not less then what it would be for Las Vegas. I wanted to know what is the current gas price, cost of milk, and ground beef (2lbs)? Also, how does the school district operate and work. How about jobs I mean yes I would be the sole provider before my husband get's situated his certification as a peace officer wouldn't transfer (most times they do not) so he would have to do something else, what who knows what SLC offers to him. Finally, what about diversity our family is highly diverse my husband being an immigrant from the Mediterranean area and me being African-American I have a concern that we won't get half of what we have here in Vegas. This includes finding markets that cater to the Mediterranean area, cultural events/festivals and finding other inter-racial families. I have never been up there and typically if a company wants to interview you and pay for you to go, they are pretty interested in hiring you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2014, 06:51 AM

1,589 posts, read 2,194,269 times
I have homes in both SLC and Las Vegas.

Grocery shopping - about the same prices (except for liquor and beer which are higher in SLC).
Gas - Las Vegas is typically $.10 to $.15 higher per gallon.
Housing - you're right, about the same prices.
Job market - not great but, relative to the rest of the nation, Utah is one of the top states.
Cultural - probably the big difference (as you probably know from reading these forums).

The greater Salt Lake area is one of the most diverse in Utah. However, even so, it's still not diverse relative to places like Las Vegas. Sounds to me like you are aware of what that means living here as a minority. I think we've come a long way in SLC accepting minorities. Other posters will likely (and rightly) point out we still have a long way to go.

I'm a retired cop (rank of Major) and my wife is a cop (rank of Colonel). We too were called "Peace Officers" up to about 20 years ago in Utah but since then are called Law Enforcement Officers. Contact our P.O.S.T. Academy to see which parts of the cert will transfer.

Bill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area