Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 07:12 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,295,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMitch View Post
Is it possible to fit in any place in Utah or are you saying it is tough to fit in anywhere and basically impossible in Utah County? Sorry for all the questions that likely seem obvious to you but I need to try to fully understand. I like how Utah looks on paper as far as crime and quality of life.
What we are trying to do is distill dozens of experiences and posts that have been made on this forum during the last 4-5 years and give you advice based on the bulk of experiences and opinions that have been given.

The consensus is the best places for newcomers to move would be in Salt Lake County, Weber County (Ogden), Tooele County (west of Salt Lake City) and perhaps, Davis County (between Ogden and Salt Lake). These places are more diverse than Utah County is and have a comfortable mix of LDS and non-LDS people. Someone from out-of-state is probably more likely to be happy in these areas than down near Provo. Actually, about 3/4's of the population in Utah lives in these three counties. So, if you think we are being too restrictive--just remember that.

If you move to Utah County, no one is going to burn a cross on your lawn or go out of their way to make you feel miserable. What is more likely is that you will feel somewhat excluded because many of your neighbors will be busy with church and family activities. On the other hand, if getting to know your neighbors and making friends is relatively unimportant to you, than perhaps none of this matters. There have been any excellent discussions on the Utah Forum of CDF about all this and it would be easy to search and find them--if you are interested.

I hope now that we are being honest about the Utah County/Provo area that you will take what we say to heart and not simply become defensive. You asked a question. A number of us tried to answer it as well as we could. Perhaps, it was not what you wanted to hear, but those are the facts as we have experienced them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2014, 08:06 PM

13 posts, read 21,919 times
Is it multiple times a year? Can it last for weeks?

Old 02-28-2014, 08:44 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,816,309 times
Quote:
Here's a website that describes it: Breathe Utah - Winter Pollution (PM2.5)

Old 02-28-2014, 08:47 PM

762 posts, read 2,118,045 times
Quote:
It depends on the weather. If a storm comes through, it clears out the inversion. Some inversions last multiple days because there are no storms.

Inversion season is generally January 1 through mid-February.

Old 02-28-2014, 08:59 PM

So it lasts 6 weeks or off and on for 6 weeks straight? Having a very hard time getting a straight answer on this subject for whatever reason. Thanks for the help.

Old 02-28-2014, 09:16 PM

Did you read the link MisfitBanana posted above? That's as straight an answer as you're going to get about a complicated meteorologic/geographic issue.

Some inversions last a day. Some last five days. As I said above, it depends on the weather. But they generally can only happen for six-ish weeks early in the year.

When they do happen, they're ugly and annoying to everyone. But to people with health issues, particularly respiratory issues, inversions can exacerbate symptoms.

Old 02-28-2014, 09:17 PM

Yes, I did read it after I replied to your post. My apologies for not reading first. All this information on this site is extremely helpful. I think I could live around the inversions, I am mostly concerned about the Mormons not accepting outsiders. I have a situation where I have two young granddaughters living with me. They are in second and third grade. I can handle no communication with neighbors, but I do not want them to be subject to being an outsider. It really is kind of a shame, thinking about how I read about what a great place Utah is to raise children based on morals and ethics, but at the same time being put out because you are not of the same faith. Really kind of contradicts the whole ideal.

Old 02-28-2014, 09:38 PM

If you're concerned about Mormons ostracizing your family (though I do not think you need to be---but I wouldn't suggest Utah County under any circumstances anyway), just live in Salt Lake County in an area that is not Mormon majority. SLCo overall is only 60% LDS, and Salt Lake City is less than 40% LDS---probably even less.

Old 02-28-2014, 09:42 PM

Where would you suggest in Salt Lake County? I want to live where there is plenty to do, as far as all the conveniences, but still not in the city itself. Thanks again, you're very helpful. I am talking about getting a realtor to show me around a certain area, where would you suggest?

Old 02-28-2014, 10:29 PM

I strongly prefer the city if you want to be near everything. But, outside the city, I like Cottonwood Heights or Holladay, though Holladay can be pricy. East Millcreek is also very nice, and just outside the SLC proper boundary.

Why are you opposed to the city? Salt Lake is not like most cities its size; it tends to have more of a small town or neighborhood feel. If you're out here with a realtor looking at areas, consider visiting the East Central, Sugar House, or Yalecrest neighborhoods in SLC, if your budget allows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area