U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 12:40 PM

4,939 posts, read 2,682,672 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are looking to move back to SLC after a 2 year hiatus of living in Upstate NY (sigh). We previously lived just outside the aves on 9th E and South Temple for 3 years. Loved the area and the craftsman style homes but don't want to deal with the historical society limits. My wife also wants all of the amenities that come with newer construction. Both just turned 30, looking to start a family, Non LDS, and looking to settle for 5+ years.

With that said we probably cannot afford our preferred choices (Cottonwood/Holladay) so we're left with Draper v NSL/Bountiful.

My job will be near the airport and she will be attending the U (PT) and working all over the valley. After looking online there are some great options in the 300-400k range in NSL -> Bountiful between Eaglewood and Bountiful Ridge golf courses. Your view is of the great salt lake (yuck) and we lose the convenience of the SLC amenities being right there but the houses and neighborhoods are great. I understand the LDS % take a sharp rise as you make the turn out of SLC and the Bountiful temple is right there. Not sure if anybody has experience living in this area and can provide feedback?

The second option is at the southern end of the valley up on the bench in draper specifically above south mountain golf course. Seems like the housing is slightly more affordable here but not sure how to compare the mix of people vs. the prior option? Still in Salt Lake county but seems like the commute would be much longer than the other option as well. Any input on this area would be helpful as well!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2014, 05:34 PM

21,874 posts, read 22,007,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
With that said we probably cannot afford our preferred choices (Cottonwood/Holladay) so we're left with Draper v NSL/Bountiful.

My job will be near the airport and she will be attending the U (PT) and working all over the valley. After looking online there are some great options in the 300-400k range in NSL -> Bountiful between Eaglewood and Bountiful Ridge golf courses.
Actually, 300-400k would buy you a nice house in Cottonwood Heights, too. There are definitely homes here that cost way more than that, but there are in Draper and Bountiful, too. I'm pretty sure you could find something pretty decent here for under 300k.

Old 03-02-2014, 01:54 AM

763 posts, read 1,674,998 times
I have to ask: what are "historical society limits?"

Old 03-02-2014, 12:51 PM

4,939 posts, read 2,682,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Actually, 300-400k would buy you a nice house in Cottonwood Heights, too. There are definitely homes here that cost way more than that, but there are in Draper and Bountiful, too. I'm pretty sure you could find something pretty decent here for under 300k.
thx Katspur. I checked MLS an couldn't find what "we" (she) is looking for in that range. Any comments on either of these two areas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zionide View Post
I have to ask: what are "historical society limits?"
Many of our neighbors in the Aves always ranted on how difficult it was dealing with them. Not sure of their name (Historic Society / Historic District). Specifically the complaints were both around costs and restrictions to what you were allowed to do to your house within the border. A regular door could not be installed but one that was custom built to specifications of the period costs 5X a normal door.

Old 03-02-2014, 02:48 PM

21,874 posts, read 22,007,229 times
Quote:
thx Katspur. I checked MLS an couldn't find what "we" (she) is looking for in that range. Any comments on either of these two areas?
I just know that the home next door to us (in Cottonwood Heights) is on the market for $344,900. It has 4 bedrooms and 3 baths. There have got to be others. Were the ones you found all over $400k? I'm sure you could find something less than that in this area.

Old 03-02-2014, 04:07 PM

763 posts, read 1,674,998 times
Quote:
Many of our neighbors in the Aves always ranted on how difficult it was dealing with them. Not sure of their name (Historic Society / Historic District). Specifically the complaints were both around costs and restrictions to what you were allowed to do to your house within the border. A regular door could not be installed but one that was custom built to specifications of the period costs 5X a normal door.
Sorry, but that's not really true.

If you're talking about the Utah Heritage Foundation, they have no say in anything you do to a property unless they've specifically been granted a facade easement for that property.

If you're talking about historic districts, it depends on whether the district is a national or local district. National historic districts have NO effect on what you can or cannot do to a property. You can buy a home in a national historic district and demolish it immediately, assuming you can get a demolition permit from the city (just as you'd have to for any structure in the city, no matter how old).

If you're talking about a local historic district (the lower Avenues is one of the few in SLC), then the Historic Landmark Commission does preclude demolition and significant changes to the FRONT of a structure. Significant changes, in practice, generally means altering the building in such a way that the original owner wouldn't be able to recognize it (think huge, pop-up roofs; adding rooms to the front of the house; etc.). But you can add on to the sides or back of the building, and pretty much do whatever else you want aesthetically.

It's absurd to think you can't install the door you want. I live in the Central City Local Historic District and just installed a new door last year without a peep from the city. Granted, my new door IS appropriate for my historic home so none of the neighbors were likely to call and complain to anyone. But my "period door" came from Home Depot and cost no more than any other door there.

In short, complaints about costs and restrictions associated with a LOCAL historic district rarely bear out in reality; and I'd much rather have the district there to provide protection from "remuddles" and unqualified do-it-yourselfers making my neighbor's house an eyesore. Because without the historic district, most of those craftsman-style homes you mentioned loving would have been long gone by now.

Anyway, if you really loved the area but still don't want to deal with a local historic district, none of the area south of 100 South and between 700 East and 1300 East is in a district, and there are a number of homes there that have been gutted and completely modernized on the inside.

Old 03-04-2014, 11:24 PM

8,440 posts, read 11,122,323 times
Quote:

Your best contact may be a good realtor. I agree with Katzpur about homes available on the east bench for that price. However, all of this may be esoteric if your wife wants very specific things. A realtor could help you find those must haves.

Then, you could compare your options of where you reside.

MSR

Old 03-07-2014, 07:06 PM

2 posts, read 3,965 times
I have great realtor if you want his name. Moved here in July from the east coast.

Old 03-08-2014, 06:00 AM

19,817 posts, read 55,809,162 times
Remember you can't post names of realtor.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 03-10-2014, 08:48 AM

150 posts, read 329,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoastdc View Post
I have great realtor if you want his name. Moved here in July from the east coast.
Same time you moved here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area