Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 07:10 AM

4 posts, read 13,226 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving from the East Coast to the SLC area this summer for graduate school. (I will be attending and he will continue to work full time.). We are moving with our three cats and will need to find pet friendly housing for all three. I've seen a few options in my searches, but was wondering if anyone had any advice on the best options for finding a rental home? (We are looking for a 2 bedroom house or duplex for under $1250/mo.)

The options I've seen so far:

Property Management Companies/Big Rental Companies: These all seem to have really bad reviews.

Smaller Property Companies: I've seen Trio apartments and Medusa properties, but can't find reviews/experiences on either.

KSL Classifieds/Craigslist: Seems a little daunting to go this way out of state, but doable.

Realtors: I haven't been able to find any information on this. Is it uncommon in SLC for realtors to help with finding rental homes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2014, 09:05 AM

9,375 posts, read 6,977,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckelly1219 View Post
My husband and I are moving from the East Coast to the SLC area this summer for graduate school. (I will be attending and he will continue to work full time.). We are moving with our three cats and will need to find pet friendly housing for all three. I've seen a few options in my searches, but was wondering if anyone had any advice on the best options for finding a rental home? (We are looking for a 2 bedroom house or duplex for under $1250/mo.)

The options I've seen so far:

Property Management Companies/Big Rental Companies: These all seem to have really bad reviews.

Smaller Property Companies: I've seen Trio apartments and Medusa properties, but can't find reviews/experiences on either.

KSL Classifieds/Craigslist: Seems a little daunting to go this way out of state, but doable.

Realtors: I haven't been able to find any information on this. Is it uncommon in SLC for realtors to help with finding rental homes?
I'm not sure we're allowed to recommend specific realtors or property management contacts here for terms of service. I can highly suggest KSL as it is light years ahead of the sludge you get on CL. We have used KSL to sell all of our stuff pre-move multiple times with great success as well as found our last apartment.

Old 03-25-2014, 10:23 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
Yeah, no realtor names please. KSL is the way to go.

Old 03-25-2014, 11:02 AM

4 posts, read 13,226 times
Just to clarify, I am not looking for specific realtor names. I am wondering if using a realtor is a viable option to finding a rental property in the SLC area? Are any rental properties listed with realtors or put on the MLS (or are the classifieds the only way to go)?

Old 03-25-2014, 04:09 PM

163 posts, read 318,466 times
You will find a few listings on the real estate sites, but I have to agree that using the KSL classifieds will be your best bet. Many of the local property management firms post their listings on KSL.

Old 04-09-2014, 10:31 AM

85 posts, read 217,390 times
padmapper.com and zillow.com are good too.

Old 04-10-2014, 11:40 AM

2,516 posts, read 5,687,867 times
I would advise against renting anything out of state, sight unseen. The few people I have met that have done this, one of them being here in SLC, has always regretted it. I must have viewed 20 places before I rented my first time here in SLC. Same story when I lived in Chicago and Dallas. Ad's can be very very misleading.

Old 04-10-2014, 02:18 PM

85 posts, read 217,390 times
Agreed, what we did was to get a giant list of all "possibles" LONG before moving, then just drove around to check it out. We had one that looked sketchy and not that great but checked it out anyway after moving to town, and it was VERY nice and what we moved into. The ad's pictures were awful, and the description worse. So it kind of works both ways.

Old 04-10-2014, 07:37 PM

Location: Winter nightime low 60,summer daytime high 85, sunny 300 days/year, no hablamos ingles aquí
700 posts, read 1,499,982 times
To increase your chances while looking for a rental: when declaring your pets, state "1 cat".
Counting cats is like counting sheep, you know.

PS. Animals, just like people, have the right to a safe home and a meal, paranoid landlords notwithstanding.

Last edited by skiffrace; 04-10-2014 at 07:54 PM..

Old 09-23-2019, 01:20 AM

7 posts, read 4,220 times
I use ksl classifieds apknite every day and they are quick to respond to feedback.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
View detailed profiles of: