Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2014, 06:04 PM

12 posts, read 18,758 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to SLC from Boise, ID in six weeks and despite trying to research the different areas throughout the city, I'm still not finding the answers I need.

I'm a single mom with an 11 year old son who will be getting himself to school after I've headed to work in the morning. What I'm looking for is an area with single family homes (with reasonable rent) that would be safe for my son to get to and from school by himself. My hope is to get into a good school district as well. Being single I would hope the area as a whole would be fairly safe.

I'd like to stay within a reasonable driving distance of downtown and maybe an area with a bit more "diversity" as we are non-LDS. I'm from Boise so I'm used to the LDS religion and honestly don't have any issues with them as long as they're friendly and don't push their religion on me. That goes for anyone though.

Any advice would be great and would put my mind at ease.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2014, 08:08 PM

2,502 posts, read 6,973,197 times
I live in Stansbury Park and it is a very family friendly neighborhood with lots of walking paths, sidewalks, good schools and nice neighbors. Not really super high on the diversity scale though. It takes about 30 to 35 minutes to get to downtown from my front door.

We also have a golf course, swimming pool, a star observatory, a few skate parks, lots of playgrounds and a private lake that kids swim and fish in all summer long. Rents are generally lower than in the Salt Lake Valley and in *most* areas of Stansbury the kids walk to school, with a couple areas being bussed. We also have an awesome high school. The junior high school students are bussed to Clarke N Johnsen, which is located in Overlake; a planned community located in Tooele.

Stansbury Park Community Association Official Website

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask!

Old 03-30-2014, 09:56 PM

28,091 posts, read 29,957,386 times
Dexter, Kaytidid didn't mention that even though Stansbury Park is not particularly diverse, she, like you, is not LDS. Apparently the lack of religious diversity has not been a drawback for her family. As I'm sure she would tell you, her kids have both LDS and non LDS friends. Her suggestion that you look in that area sounds like a good one to me.

Old 03-30-2014, 10:33 PM

Right on, Katz! I guess I just forgot to mention that part because it is never an issue for me to think of! I was thinking more along the lines of racial diversity for some reason.

Yes, I have two daughters and they both have LDS and non LDS friends. Truth be told...some of their LDS friends are better ones than the non's.

Old 03-31-2014, 08:47 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,865,519 times
Consider Park City?

Old 03-31-2014, 10:16 PM

Park City doesn't really have reasonable rent, however. Well, I guess that would depend on her definition of reasonable...

Old 04-01-2014, 08:02 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,865,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytidid View Post
Park City doesn't really have reasonable rent, however. Well, I guess that would depend on her definition of reasonable...
It might be pricey, but it has excellent schools and students.

At the end of the day, the most influential decision we as parents make regarding our children is the choice of where we live. By virtue of where we choose to live, we determine the schools our kids go to and hence the universe from which our children will select their friends and determine their peers. It is a matter of trade-offs. The OP might find it worth the extra rent.

Old 04-01-2014, 08:18 AM

Right. Because those of us that don't live in Park City have children that are destined to end up in prison. Funny, I always thought it was how parents choose to raise their own children that influence them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
View detailed profiles of: