Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2014, 09:48 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,635,093 times

Advertisements

I'm going to be heading out to SLC in May for memorial weekend. I'm an avid hiker / runner and want to hit up the trails while I'm there. What's the best and least expensive way to get up into the mountains to go exploring?? I'm not 25 yet, so renting a car is out of my options.

I know when I was in Colorado, I took the bus from Denver to Boulder or Golden and walked a mile or two to the mountains.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 07:33 PM

36 posts, read 72,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverunner17 View Post
I'm going to be heading out to SLC in May for memorial weekend. I'm an avid hiker / runner and want to hit up the trails while I'm there. What's the best and least expensive way to get up into the mountains to go exploring?? I'm not 25 yet, so renting a car is out of my options.

I know when I was in Colorado, I took the bus from Denver to Boulder or Golden and walked a mile or two to the mountains.

Thank you!
I've never taken the buses but I know they exist - there are ski buses that go up to the canyons and this page (google'd) seems to suggest that they run all year:

The Top Outdoor Adventures Via Public Transportation: Salt Lake City | Adventure Travel Guide | OutsideOnline.com

Here's another book that would provide more information:

New book tells of great hikes near Salt Lake City | Deseret News

And here's a discussion of your very issue:

Hike from the city - Salt Lake City Forum - TripAdvisor

Sorry that my answer is so cursory, but I did want to respond - as I noticed that your post got 25 views and nobody else offered an answer - so I hope this helps somewhat!

Old 04-24-2014, 08:31 AM

2,502 posts, read 6,970,733 times
I am not sure about public transportation to take you to the trails, as I am not a huge outdoorsy person. I DO know, however, that you can rent a car here in UT if you are not 25. I have done it.

Discount Rent A Car - Salt Lake City UT 84107 | 866-562-9858

Another of the few rental agencies to regularly rent to 20-year-olds is Hertz, which is currently waiving young driver surcharges for renters ages 20 to 24. By using the promotional code 144314, young renters won't have to pay the usual $25 daily surcharge on rentals driven now through September 30. Keep in mind, however, that Hertz rates tend to be much more expensive than other agencies, especially a discounter like Fox. In some cases, agencies other than Hertz may wind up cheaper for young drivers, even if the agency is tacking on a young renter surcharge.

Old 04-24-2014, 01:16 PM

2,619 posts, read 7,027,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytidid View Post
I am not sure about public transportation to take you to the trails, as I am not a huge outdoorsy person. I DO know, however, that you can rent a car here in UT if you are not 25. I have done it.

Discount Rent A Car - Salt Lake City UT 84107 | 866-562-9858

Another of the few rental agencies to regularly rent to 20-year-olds is Hertz, which is currently waiving young driver surcharges for renters ages 20 to 24. By using the promotional code 144314, young renters won't have to pay the usual $25 daily surcharge on rentals driven now through September 30. Keep in mind, however, that Hertz rates tend to be much more expensive than other agencies, especially a discounter like Fox. In some cases, agencies other than Hertz may wind up cheaper for young drivers, even if the agency is tacking on a young renter surcharge.
I used Fox a year or 2 ago and it was a total horror from beginning to end. I don't know how typical my experience was, but I'll never use them again.

Old 04-24-2014, 01:46 PM

2,502 posts, read 6,970,733 times
I can't vouch for them myself. I have never used them. I believe we used Hertz when we were visiting before we moved here. We were 23, so I know there are places that will rent under 25. We didn't use any discounter service as this was before internet...lol

Old 04-24-2014, 06:49 PM

157 posts, read 301,817 times
I think for about $5 you can take the bus from Salt Lake City to Park City.

Old 04-24-2014, 09:39 PM

9,368 posts, read 6,967,418 times
Ensign peak is a must but also a short hike... City creek is another decent short hike in the same general area. Up Big Cottonwood are 3 lakes (Blanche, Florence, and Lillian) and it's probably 10 miles total. Mount Olympus Summit would be the best of main valley IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area