U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2014, 01:02 PM

2 posts, read 3,677 times

Advertisements

Hello yall,
I'm from Nashville and am moving to SLC in under two weeks to help a buddy out with his business. Other than him, I know nobody in the area. I am a 34 yr old single man that likes nightlife and has spent the last ten years as bartender and concert promoter in Memphis and Nashville. I will not have a vehicle, have some savings to burn up until I start making money. I'll be renting, hopefully with a roommate. So, here's where I need advice:

1) How is your local public transit? Does it run late? (couldn't find times online)
2) How/Where is the fun nightlife?
3) Bad Neighborhoods?
4) How's the dating scene?
5) Other than LDS, what's the general vibe of the city? (young, college, hipster, hippy)
6) Anyone know of a room to rent near downtown area?
7) Any words of wisdom you could pass on to someone who knows NOTHING but what I read online about SLC?

Thanks Yall
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2014, 05:21 PM

150 posts, read 329,130 times
For the public transit, you can find routes and times online here: Utah Transit Authority
I do know that trax doesn't run much after 11:00 pm, wish they would extend that. Also Sunday public transit is limited even more. Otherwise checking some of the bus routes, which I've not really used, might help you determine a location that would work well? Most nightlife is downtown, I'd say it's a no brainer that you want to be around there somewhere if you can find a place that works.

I was married when I moved here so can't help much on the dating scene.

Vibe is pretty outdoorsy, but there feels like a pretty strong counter culture to the general lds vibe around the city core. I'm not sure what that all entails, but between downtown, sugarhouse, etc, there's some interesting places and people.

ksl.com is generally a better place to look for rooms than craigslist I believe, it seems to be the go to classified for the city.

Old 05-12-2014, 03:45 PM

1,770 posts, read 1,751,715 times
1) How is your local public transit? Does it run late? (couldn't find times online)
It's good for a small city - it doesn't run terribly late. Not past midnight. The city is very bicycle friendly though. Tons of bike lanes.
2) How/Where is the fun nightlife?
Downtown. It's also good. It's no NYC or LV, but we know how to have fun. Beer is only 3.2% ABV, but it just means you can spend more time drinking before you get drunk. Try to look at the silver lining.
3) Bad Neighborhoods?
Eh...ish. They're not bad as in you'll get robbed and murdered, but Rose Park, Glendale and just about anything near Redwood Road or I-15 and north of about 6200 South is going to be rougher looking and older. More property crime in those areas. More apartments with tons of people living in them. Just overall less desirable.
4) How's the dating scene?
Are you smart, successful and attractive? Then it's great! If not, eh.. it can be rougher. Women in SLC are generally attractive and successful and tend to be somewhat picky, but as a pretty typical dude I had no issues before I married. If you're out of shape, uneducated and make $10 an hour, you likely won't get many dates.
5) Other than LDS, what's the general vibe of the city? (young, college, hipster, hippy)
Downtown has lots of young-urban-profession types. Suburbs are super family oriented and more LDS. The university is semi-hipster.
6) Anyone know of a room to rent near downtown area?
Like the other person said - check out the KSL Classifieds
7) Any words of wisdom you could pass on to someone who knows NOTHING but what I read online about SLC?
Lots of local bars, good singles scene, tons of outdoors stuff, plenty of cheap and free events all year long (especially in the summer), fantastic job market - if you aren't picky. Salt Lake is kind of a hidden single person's dream. Don't judge the Mormons as being weird because other than how we choose to worship, we're just like you, some of us just don't drink. Explore the outdoors. If you don't you're not making life here worth it.

Old 05-13-2014, 04:28 PM

5,000 posts, read 14,434,665 times
Search here for a room to rent. Stay near downtown, university or sugarhouse. Suburbs are full of families and you'll have to drive or take public transport downtown for nightlife/activities.

This is a very dry climate. Your eyes, lips, skin & hair might need moisture. Our air quality gets really bad during the winter months. Search this forum, you'll find info about that.

Our city is laid out on a grid system. I've only ever lived here so it makes perfect sense to me.

Will you be working for your buddy in his business endeavors for your future income? Or will you be looking elsewhere for employment? That might have an impact on your decision as to where you'd like to live.

Good luck.

Old 05-24-2014, 04:07 PM

2 posts, read 3,677 times
THANKS everyone for your well thought-out and informative replies. I've been here 4 days and really like your city. It's a nice mix of fun and friendliness. I've never been to a place so friendly. I met your entire african-american population yesterday ... He was very nice too.

Old 05-24-2014, 06:03 PM

2,447 posts, read 5,898,176 times
LOL. There are actually quite a few African Americans living here in UT. Albeit, we aren't talking Philly population or anything, but a decent amount for Utah at least.

Old 05-27-2014, 01:36 PM

1,770 posts, read 1,751,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvn2SLC View Post
THANKS everyone for your well thought-out and informative replies. I've been here 4 days and really like your city. It's a nice mix of fun and friendliness. I've never been to a place so friendly. I met your entire african-american population yesterday ... He was very nice too.
That's only true because the Jazz (NBA team) are on break right now ... It'll grow about ten-fold in October, when the players move back to Salt Lake I kid, I kid. According to the 2010 census, 2.7% of Salt Lakers responded as being Black or African American.

Old 05-27-2014, 03:46 PM

21,869 posts, read 21,999,010 times
Quote:
I met your entire african-american population yesterday ... He was very nice too.
You met my nephew? Cool! Glad you've liked Salt Lake so far!

Old 05-28-2014, 12:52 PM

5,000 posts, read 14,434,665 times
Quote:
LOL Love your sense of humor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or