U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 01:28 PM

21,867 posts, read 21,991,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytidid View Post
I DON'T?!? *GASP* When did that happen and why I am always the last to know?! Uh, even when I did live in the SL Valley, I had a home that did have a street name and my house number did not have a direction attached to it.
It pretty much had to have done, kaytidid -- even if you were unaware of it. I'll explain if you'll just tell me what your house number is right now? Or what your house number was when you lived in the Salt Lake Valley (as far as I'm concerned, Stansbury Park is in the Salt Lake Valley, but that's a topic for another thread).

When I was growing up, my home address was 2546 South Preston Street. That's how I always wrote or said it. My dad used to just say 2546 Preston Street. He used to insist that because there was no "North Preston Street," it was completely unnecessary to say "South Preston Street." I think he was saying pretty much what you're saying -- that our house number had no direction attached to it. Well, since he was right and there was no such thing as "North Preston Street," it was unnecessary to specifiy "South" when giving the address. But the fact remains that our house was 25.46 blocks south of Temple Square. The house number wasn't just arbitrary. It meant something very specific. It was a location on a grid, denoting that we were just about 25 1/2 blocks from Temple Square. And in which direction? South. Since Preston Street's coordinate was 1930 East, we were also about 19 1/3 blocks east of Temple Square.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2014, 01:47 PM

2,447 posts, read 5,896,679 times
Oh I am not arguing that it DOESN'T have one. I am just stating that it was never used on my closing documents or elsewhere. I even knew what direction my house number was allocated to, but yes, my point was exactly as your dad's. Thank you for understanding what I was trying to say I probably should have been more clear about specifying that my old address never USED a directional, rather than never HAD a direction. That was my bad. I guess I was still seething over the post about the LDS religion not being welcoming because Mark had advised someone not to live in UT county that I just wasn't thinking clearly.

Old 05-28-2014, 10:58 PM

224 posts, read 524,555 times
And another thing I've found...
take Katz old address- 2546 South Preston Street
We all know that it is 2546 South, Preston Street
But I've talked to people who want to call it: 2546, South Preston Street
One very good reason your father was right not to use that directional adjective.

Why when it really is so simple can it get so complicated?

Old 05-29-2014, 01:31 AM

763 posts, read 1,673,885 times
And one very good reason to use the directional is that many "Preston"-type streets are long enough to enter the "north" section; how do you know which address to go to then?
And even if a particular street is shorter, not using the frontage directional makes it more difficult to find if you don't know the area...which negates the whole purpose of the grid system.

For example, I once owned a property in SLC at 39 Jeremy Street. Even if I tell you that Jeremy Street is 840 West, how would you get there without the directional attached to the frontage number? (No cheating with Google Maps!) You can obviously deduce that it's either 39 South or 39 North since Jeremy is a "west," but there's no way of knowing which one, so the address is impossible to navigate without the directional.

Old 06-01-2014, 08:49 PM

224 posts, read 524,555 times
When giving an address it is common to first say the address and then the directionals: "39 Jeremy Street...Which is 39 south and 840 west".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or