U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 10:33 AM

1,775 posts, read 1,775,455 times

Advertisements

I read the stickied one, but it made no sense to me, so... I wrote one I like better... it involves more math. Math is good.

People new to the area often complain about our goofy addresses. They're a little different, but if you understand it you literally can not get lost in the valley. It's so stupidly simple I have to give extra respect points to those pioneer dudes. Yes, just the dudes. No, I'm not a sexist, but we're talking about Mormons in the 1850s. Seriously... (this is a joke, cue laughter..)

However, it only works if you have an 8th grade or better understanding of math.

Imagine a Cartesian grid.

Got it? Okay good.

Now (0,0) is the center of the city. City Creek Mall and the Salt Lake Mormon Temple. (South Temple, Main). The X axis is South Temple Street and the Y axis will be Main Street, throughout the whole valley.

East makes the X value go up
West makes the X value go down
North makes the Y value go up
South makes the Y value go down

I guess you also need to understand directions too, but if you can drive a car and don't understand the 4 cardinal directions I question your priorities.

East is the mountains. Technically there are mountains on the west too, but the BIG ones are on the east. Okay technically they're both big (especially if you're from Saskatchewan or something) but ... eh ... you'll get it when you're here.

So now you can imagine 5600 West and 6200 South as (-56,-62) on this grid. (Remember (X,Y). When I first wrote this I forgot this and had to edit it) If you live at 1300 E and 7800 S (+13,-78) and need to go to 300 W 600 N (-3,+6) you need to go up (north) 84 units, crossing the X axis and left (west) 16 units, crossing the Y axis.

I-15 is somewhere between 300 West (X= -3) to 800 West (X= -8)
I-80 runs at about 2400 South (Y= -24), east of I-15. West of I-15 it runs at about the Y-axis (Y= 0) Unless...
Highway 201 is the west side extension of the 80. It runs at 2100 S (Y= -21)
I-215 goes in a circle, but not a large enough one. We should have made a larger belt route.

Other major streets of note:
State Street = 100 E, X= +1
Bangerter Highway = 3600 W, X= -36 (mostly, it weaves around a bit then actually runs E-W out in the middle of no-where, but assume 3600 and you'll be safe)
Foothill Drive = Northeast extension of the 215. Goes into the university & downtown. Avoid at rush hour. Just trust me on this.

Oh, and if you're flying in, the Airport is at about (-36,0) (Bangerter and I-80)

Salt Lake County uses the same grid system for every city (ie. I live in West Valley City, but if I put Salt Lake City on my address it means the same thing because 5600 West in WVC is the same as 5600 West in SLC). Utah and Davis Counties do not. Weber county .. kind of does.. but they have this weird thing for the presidents too. The presidents are not in order.

Pretty much, if you just understand a Cartesian coordinate grid and your 4 cardinal directions, you'll never get lost.

Last edited by Geo-Aggie; 05-21-2014 at 10:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2014, 01:56 PM

2,447 posts, read 5,920,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-Aggie View Post

East is the mountains. Technically there are mountains on the west too, but the BIG ones are on the east. Okay technically they're both big (especially if you're from Saskatchewan or something) but ... eh ... you'll get it when you're here.
We we moved here from NJ, someone mentioned the big mountains to the east..I just laughed and said I am from Jersey. They are ALL big!

Old 05-21-2014, 04:06 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,206,744 times
I just don't think it's necessary to make this so complex.

Simply, addresses are tied to The Temple - and you're either N, S, E or W of that landmark at any time.

2000 W 3300 S is 20 blocks West and 33 blocks South of The Temple.

Bill

Old 05-22-2014, 12:04 AM

467 posts, read 428,180 times
Geo-Aggie,

Liked your post. I wish the distances were Cartesian...

Old 05-22-2014, 01:12 PM

1,775 posts, read 1,775,455 times
They are..ish.. in West Valley. "800" is equal to 1 mile, which is super weird, but if you're good with math in your head you can use it. So 5600W to 6400W is one mile. 3500S to 4300S is one mile. Doesn't work in Downtown or Sugar House where one mile is closer to 650, but varies in places. Haven't really tested it anywhere else.

Not sure about other places in the valley. Don't drive in them enough.

Old 05-23-2014, 09:03 AM

21,968 posts, read 22,141,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-Aggie View Post
I read the stickied one, but it made no sense to me, so... I wrote one I like better... it involves more math. Math is good.

People new to the area often complain about our goofy addresses. They're a little different, but if you understand it you literally can not get lost in the valley. It's so stupidly simple I have to give extra respect points to those pioneer dudes. Yes, just the dudes. No, I'm not a sexist, but we're talking about Mormons in the 1850s. Seriously... (this is a joke, cue laughter..)

However, it only works if you have an 8th grade or better understanding of math.

Imagine a Cartesian grid.

Got it? Okay good.

Now (0,0) is the center of the city. City Creek Mall and the Salt Lake Mormon Temple. (South Temple, Main). The X axis is South Temple Street and the Y axis will be Main Street, throughout the whole valley.

East makes the X value go up
West makes the X value go down
North makes the Y value go up
South makes the Y value go down

I guess you also need to understand directions too, but if you can drive a car and don't understand the 4 cardinal directions I question your priorities.

So now you can imagine 5600 West and 6200 South as (-56,-62) on this grid. (Remember (X,Y). When I first wrote this I forgot this and had to edit it) If you live at 1300 E and 7800 S (+13,-78) and need to go to 300 W 600 N (-3,+6) you need to go up (north) 84 units, crossing the X axis and left (west) 16 units, crossing the Y axis.

I-15 is somewhere between 300 West (X= -3) to 800 West (X= -8)
I-80 runs at about 2400 South (Y= -24), east of I-15. West of I-15 it runs at about the Y-axis (Y= 0) Unless...
Highway 201 is the west side extension of the 80. It runs at 2100 S (Y= -21)
I-215 goes in a circle, but not a large enough one. We should have made a larger belt route.

Other major streets of note:
State Street = 100 E, X= +1
Bangerter Highway = 3600 W, X= -36 (mostly, it weaves around a bit then actually runs E-W out in the middle of no-where, but assume 3600 and you'll be safe)
Foothill Drive = Northeast extension of the 215. Goes into the university & downtown. Avoid at rush hour. Just trust me on this.

Oh, and if you're flying in, the Airport is at about (-36,0) (Bangerter and I-80)

Salt Lake County uses the same grid system for every city (ie. I live in West Valley City, but if I put Salt Lake City on my address it means the same thing because 5600 West in WVC is the same as 5600 West in SLC). Utah and Davis Counties do not. Weber county .. kind of does.. but they have this weird thing for the presidents too. The presidents are not in order.

Pretty much, if you just understand a Cartesian coordinate grid and your 4 cardinal directions, you'll never get lost.
Whatever works. Sorry you didn't like my original thread (the sticky), but I'll avoid math at all costs. If your formulas help newcomers find their way around Salt Lake, great. If my simple, straightforward, and to-the-point explanation does, great. Either way, the street numbering system here is nothing short of brilliant.

Old 05-24-2014, 01:22 PM

224 posts, read 527,729 times
I use GPS all the time to get around the valley. The west side especially you need to know what street to enter into a subdivision or else you end up in a dead end. The one beef I have with it is that "technically" the streets do have an east, west, south, north, IN FRONT of their names. And GPS uses them.
SO from 1300 east when I am want to head west on 1300 south it will tell me to turn left on "east 1300 south". It drives me nuts and totally confused me at first until I learned to ignore that first direction.
But I guess it is the same in any Utah town- I've heard of people upset with the roads in Cedar City for the same reason. It isn't the roads or the way they are labeled that is so confusing folks, It is GPS directions. So when that "East 1300 South" isn't posted on the actual signage it can be very confusing to someone looking for a sign that says what GPS says and can't find it.

Please just ignore the first direction word. You don't need it, you won't find it on any sign. It isn't East 1300 south. It is simply 1300 South. (which of course btw is 13th south- but that is just too much for GPS which at least does say 13 hundred south rather than 1 thousand 3 hundred south).

Old 05-24-2014, 03:18 PM

19,828 posts, read 56,060,783 times
I think KAtz's explanation is better, but that's just MHO.

Old 05-24-2014, 03:35 PM

21,968 posts, read 22,141,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InSandy View Post
Please just ignore the first direction word. You don't need it, you won't find it on any sign. It isn't East 1300 south. It is simply 1300 South. (which of course btw is 13th south- but that is just too much for GPS which at least does say 13 hundred south rather than 1 thousand 3 hundred south).
I get what you're saying, at least with respect to how a GPS states Salt Lake City addresses. I disagree, however, that the first word (i.e. "East" in your example) is unimportant. The address 375 West 1300 South is an entirely different one from 375 East 1300 South. True, the words "West" or "East" won't appear on any street sign, but in concept, they do make a difference. Hopefully, the person using the GPS would know whether the address he was looking for was on the east side of the city or the west side.

Old 05-24-2014, 11:11 PM

763 posts, read 1,683,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InSandy View Post
The one beef I have with it is that "technically" the streets do have an east, west, south, north, IN FRONT of their names.
But they don't; it's simply that house numbers have direction attached to them. That's where I think the disconnect is for many people: individual house/business numbers are never only a number in SLC.

Consider the address 455 East 1300 South:
The street name is NOT East 1300 South; the street is 1300 South, and that's true whether it's west of Main Street or east of Main Street.
The house number is 455 East.

If one were to ask a resident of a named street (like... Redwood Road, for example), "What's your house number [on Redwood Road]?" the correct answer would be "3845 South" and not only "3845."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or