Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2014, 09:56 AM

911 posts, read 2,155,714 times

Advertisements

I'm pretty sure I'm not moving there, as I already have other plans in place, but I like to have a good understanding of all my options. I can move anywhere, as we work remotely, and have no family ties anywhere.
We are Catholic, and prefer a Latin Mass, so that means if we were considering Utah, then it would need to be near SLC, as the Latin Masses are in Taylorsville and Ogden.

I'm impressed by the low cancer rate and overall health of "Utahans" (?). Also, I've been to St George and Moab, and have driven through Utah multiple times, and I love the scenery and cleanliness. The overall crime rate is to my liking, too.

I'm not worried about not fitting in with LDS, as we barely fit in with Catholics, being more traditional than the majority. We have a large family of 10, and it's great to see so many other large families in Utah.

Question time:

Is land affordable outside of SLC? (Could we find 5 acres for -60k?) We wouldn't want to be more than an hour out.

How are you guys so healthy when the air quality seems pretty "iffy" and having so much toxic waste buried throughout he state? Does that make the soil or water contaminated? Is it okay to farm in?

Are there a lot of restrictions on land and off-grid homes?

Thanks for reading

Last edited by famlife; 05-30-2014 at 11:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2014, 07:29 PM

762 posts, read 2,118,413 times
The air quality is only a major concern from 2-6 weeks per year, depending on the year, so it's not prevalent enough to impact cancer rates enough to be statistically noticeable.

I'm not sure what "toxic waste buried throughout the state" you're referring to, as there's only one radioactive waste facility in Utah, in Clive, and it only accepts class-A (low level) waste. Clive is in an extremely unpopulated area anyway, so most the state's residents are not affected in any way by the facility.

Old 05-30-2014, 08:28 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,303,039 times
[quote=famlife;35018969]I'm pretty sure I'm not moving there, as I already have other plans in place, but I like to have a good understanding of all my options. I can move anywhere, as we work remotely, and have no family ties anywhere.
We are Catholic, and prefer a Latin Mass, so that means if we were considering Utah, then it would need to be near SLC, as the Latin Masses are in Taylorsville and Ogden.

I'm impressed by the low cancer rate and overall health of "Utahans" (?). Also, I've been to St George and Moab, and have driven through Utah multiple times, and I love the scenery and cleanliness. The overall crime rate is to my liking, too.

I'm not worried about not fitting in with LDS, as we barely fit in with Catholics, being more traditional than the majority. We have a large family of 10, and it's great to see so many other large families in Utah.

Question time:

Is land affordable outside of SLC? (Could we find 5 acres for -60k?) We wouldn't want to be more than an hour out.

That would be difficult indeed. Land north of Salt Lake is Davis and Weber counties. Both counties have large populations and land is not cheap. Land south of Salt Lake extends through Utah County into Provo. This is is also a heavily populated area with many suburbs and tract homes. I don't know what land out west near Tooele might sell for, but I suspect that 60K for five acres is nothing, but a dream there as well.

How are you guys so healthy when the air quality seems pretty "iffy" and having so much toxic waste buried throughout he state? Does that make the soil or water contaminated? Is it okay to farm in?

The question about air quality is a fair one. However, the EPA is saying that except for a few weeks in the winter that air quality in Utah is quite good. Its simply that in the winter inversions trap pollution with the Salt Lake Valley. Its worst from mid-December through January. The question about soil and water contamination though is downright silly. I don't know where you got this idea from. Utah has plenty of farms and there is no issue from soil contamination from toxic waste--none. Maybe you are channeling the "Love Canal" in New York when you think of that.

Are there a lot of restrictions on land and off-grid homes?

Not enough in my opinion. I don't really approve of people who want to live like that. I see us as all part of a community and frankly, I wonder what the motives of someone living out in a vacant area off the grid really are when they come to Utah or anywhere.

Old 05-30-2014, 10:03 PM

911 posts, read 2,155,714 times
Motives being not having to rely on a corporation to fulfill my basic needs and not having to pay monthly for something I can easily provide for myself.

Thanks for the input!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area