U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 09:11 AM

465 posts, read 421,456 times

Advertisements

It is not often talked about on this board, but there are homes in Emigration Canyon that are convenient to commute the University. Yes - there are million + dollar homes there but there are plenty in the lower price range as well.

We live in a condo at the mouth of Emigration Canyon. The location is very good for access to the University. Unfortunately, the condo is not what the OP wants/needs and the house prices here are in a higher range. Hence my suggestion of Emigration canyon. Whether this is interesting to OP depends on the preference on urban versus suburban living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2014, 10:24 AM

21,869 posts, read 21,995,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCSLC View Post
Cottonwood Heights would indeed be an improvement, but you won't REALLY find many diverse families (both religiously and ethnically) unless you're in Salt Lake City, West Valley City, or South Salt Lake City.
There are lots of homes in your price range in the Cottonwood Heights area. And as far as diversity, on my street alone (with a total of 12 houses), we have four practicing LDS families and eight families of other religions or no religion. We have, among these same twelve households, one Hispanic, one Asian and one Middle-eastern family. You aren't going to find anything much more diverse than that anywhere in the city. Cottonwood Heights is about a 20- to 25-minute drive from the University of Utah. I'm a native Salt Laker and have lived in the Sugarhouse/East Millcreek, West Valley City, University of Utah/Harvard-Yale and Cottonwood Heights areas. My personal favorite is Cottonwood Heights.

Old 06-04-2014, 12:34 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,275,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCSLC View Post
MisfitBanana is right. If you can get over the idea of a "newer" house, you can find some VERY nice homes near the University for $400k. Keep in mind that these "old" homes are not what you may typically think of when it comes to old houses; many of the historic homes in the East Central/University area have been completely gutted and renovated and are practically new in function and interiors... they just still also retain a nice historic quality on the outside.

If you want diversity, you definitely do not want to be in Davis County. Cottonwood Heights would indeed be an improvement, but you won't REALLY find many diverse families (both religiously and ethnically) unless you're in Salt Lake City, West Valley City, or South Salt Lake City. South Salt Lake is, overall, not a desirable area (you could probably buy 3 homes for $400k there! [I kid!]), and West Valley has nice areas, but can be hit and miss, it's 20-30 minutes from campus, and $400k is oodles out there.

In short, consider at least looking at some homes in your price range in the 84102, 84103, and 84108 ZIP codes before you rule out SLC proper.
Also 84109.

Old 06-04-2014, 01:18 PM

2,447 posts, read 5,897,440 times
Katz, I was just in Cottonwood Heights the other day driving a friend of my daughter's home. Yeah, I would move there in a heartbeat. Even as much as I LOVE my neighborhood, Cottonwood Heights is my dream.

Old 06-04-2014, 05:10 PM

4,914 posts, read 2,673,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingtoUtah99 View Post
Hello,
Our family is currently in the Midwest and are looking to move to the Salt Lake City area. My husband is going to be working at the University of Utah and I will either be working from home or looking for a job at the University. We are researching housing options and daycare options. Is there anyone that can help us?

1. We have a 2.5 year old and we want to send her to a good center based daycare at or near the University. Any suggestions for me?

2. We want to buy a house there, preferably a 4 bedroom that is not too old i.e. less than 20 years old in a good neighborhood.

3. We want to live in an area where there are good elementary public schools and according to greatschools.org there are a LOT of crappy schools in the area especially where housing seems affordable. When I look in the area that is East of I-80 the schools seem better but housing prices seem pretty high.

4. When I look up North from the University i.e. Bountiful, Centerville, Farmington the school ratings are really good and the commute from there to the University seems to be about 30 min on Google maps but is that a realistic time for a commute? Or does it drag out to a much longer commute at rush hour?

Is there any one here who works at the University that can give us some pointers regarding commutes/schools/daycare etc?

Thanks in advance
1.. Cannot help

2/3... Will be tough to find something new in your price range. IMO the floor for a "nice" house there is $400k with good options being $550k+.

4... I'm white and my wife is Indian (Trinidad) but we're settling between NSL/Bountiful and Cottonwood/Sandy areas. Cottonwood is closer to the mountain access and has a better mix of people and amenities for us. NSL and especially Bountiful offer the best bang per $ in getting a nice home. $400k gets you quite a lot up there and I suggest you at least consider it before making a decision.

Old 06-05-2014, 02:05 AM

763 posts, read 1,674,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
There are lots of homes in your price range in the Cottonwood Heights area. And as far as diversity, on my street alone (with a total of 12 houses), we have four practicing LDS families and eight families of other religions or no religion. We have, among these same twelve households, one Hispanic, one Asian and one Middle-eastern family. You aren't going to find anything much more diverse than that anywhere in the city.
Katz, you must be on the most ethnically diverse street in CH (which is great)!

I love CH (it's my favorite south-county suburb), but according to the 2010 Census, it's 88% "white alone, not Hispanic*," which is more than Draper (86%) and Sandy (86%), but slightly less than Herriman (89%), Holladay (89%), Riverton (90%), and Bluffdale (93%). South Jordan is the same: 88% white. (For comparison, Utah as a whole is 80% white and Salt Lake County averages 73%).

In addition to Draper and Sandy, slightly more ethnically diverse cities in SLCo include Murray (84%) and Millcreek (83%). Even more diversity is found in West Jordan (74%), Taylorsville (70%), and Midvale (68%).

Bringing the SLCo average down are the three most ethnically diverse cities: Salt Lake City (65%), South Salt Lake (57%), and West Valley City (54%). If it hasn't happened already, I think WVC is going to be minority-majority very soon.

So while I think CH is overall a great place, the stats about the area as a whole don't reflect much ethnic diversity.

*Census Geekery, in the interest of full disclosure, particularly since the OP is Indian:
The Census only aggregates data into 6 racial groups (White, Black, American Indian/Alaskan Native, Asian, Hawaiian/Pacific Islander, Multiracial) and two ethnicity categories (Hispanic/Latino and Not Hispanic/Latino). Every person receives a designation for race AND ethnicity. So someone can be Asian Hispanic, for example, or American Indian Not Hispanic. Or Black Not Hispanic or Hawaiian Hispanic. Most reputable demographers consider someone to be "not a minority" only if they are both White AND Not Hispanic. Most people of Mexican descent would therefore be classified as "White, Hispanic" and are NOT a racial minority... but ARE an ethnic minority.

For our purposes of identifying racial/ethnic diversity, the percentage of each city's "White, Not Hispanic" residents works pretty well (at least as well as is possible on this scale). BUT... ask yourself: Where does someone from Iran, or India, or Saudi Arabia fit into these unfortunately narrow categories? In terms of general society, we tend to consider individuals who come from these countries (or whose ancestors are from these countries) as a "minority," as "not white." But to the Census... they, officially, should label themselves as "white." (This is an unfortunate artifact of who was once considered "Aryan," a term that is happily no longer used by reputable demographers.) In practice, people from these countries will be included in whichever box they chose to check on the Census form, so they're really probably included in a variety of categories.

All this to say: Cottonwood Heights's 88% "white" population probably includes several Indian or Middle Eastern households/individuals, people who the average person would consider a "minority," even if the Census stats do not. So it's not quite as WHITE in CH as the 88% implies. But in terms of comparison to other areas in the valley, it's still an accurate representation of where the most racial/ethnic diversity is because ALL the cities have their Middle Eastern residents categorized wherever the residents placed themselves.

WHEW! Let's hope the US Census Bureau figures out some better categories and aggregation for the 2020 Census!

(Oh, and sadly, there aren't solid stats available for religious diversity on a city our county level, which would be a tough analysis anyway: Are nonpracticing members counted? How practicing does one have to be to be counted within a religion's numbers? Do "Jack" members count or not? Lots of lines to draw and caveats to disclose when discussing religion statistics!)

Old 06-05-2014, 09:02 AM

81 posts, read 108,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-Aggie View Post
you will find very very few elementary schools in Utah that aren't both underfunded and overcrowded, sorry).
Sorry for the late reply.....

Do you know which are the very very few elementary schools that are NOT underfunded and overcrowded?

Thanks!!!

Old 06-05-2014, 09:49 AM

2,447 posts, read 5,897,440 times
Charter schools limit the amount of students per class, however it is still funded with the same money as a regular public school, which is almost nil.

Old 06-05-2014, 10:05 AM

Thank you all for the input. I will definitely be pulling up this thread when I “know” more about all the areas. Right now I am trying to get myself familiarized with all the areas.

I live in a 20 yr old home now and I really want to move into a "new" home. But from the little looking I did on areas directly West of the U there are some homes in our price range and like others have mentioned they seem to have completely new interiors but they do have some features I do not prefer (such as detached garages, relatively small yards etc). I am also quickly realizing that the big mid-west yards I am used to may not really happen in ANY area in Salt Lake !

Some of my friends’ friends who live in the area have mentioned Cottonwood Heights/Sandy area but just looking online I am not finding very many homes under 400k with elementary schools with ratings 7 or higher. But I realize hiring a realtor will help in that regard in bringing to our attention homes that are not online just yet. We are not “there” yet in our home search..

Regarding Emigration Canyon – yes the homes seem exceptionally nice but yeah also a little bit out of our price range esp. because we would like an individual home and not a Condo.

All in all, I am so appreciate all of you here who are responding to all the questions that others and I have regarding the area.

Old 06-05-2014, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytidid View Post
Charter schools limit the amount of students per class, however it is still funded with the same money as a regular public school, which is almost nil.
But charter schools are luck of the draw right without any geographical restrictions?

How does transportation work? Do they have buses or parents just responsible for the transportation?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or