Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2021, 06:36 PM

218 posts, read 155,474 times

Advertisements

As a Utah native who has lived in the state and who now lives outside it but returns regularly and who has traveled all over the US, I can only share my experience and observations. Utah people in general will certainly tend to be among the most correct and non-confrontational of people. But "friendly" in an open, warm, chatty way with strangers. Not so much. There are places that are friendlier if those are the criteria. People in Utah will certainly not be unfriendly or hostile, and they will tend to be polite. But my experience is that many people will just be aloof. They will deal with you when needed, but it seems like they sometimes just don't know what to do with you. In SLC, this is less evident; it's more common in small-town and rural Utah. Whenever I return to Utah, I notice this. Of course, there is a whole range of behaviors everywhere you go, but generally speaking, the above is my experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2021, 09:44 AM

565 posts, read 470,236 times
It would only make sense to figure massacres into the friendliness equation. If I'm not mistaken, Utah's last massacre was in 1945. The 1945 massacre was perpetrated by a New Yorker, which would subtract points from the unfriendly column.

Old 07-12-2021, 06:33 PM

3 posts, read 2,016 times
Utahns are friendly in a different way. Its not the place you can just chat somebody up. If you needed directions or help with something you would definitely find someone. People here have a strong network of family, friends and church friends and don't typically feel the need to get to know others. However there are a lot of groups on meetup that I've heard are great. Just know if you try to start a conversation with someone you may just get awkward glares. I grew up here and always surprised how friendly (chatty) people are outside of this state.

Old 07-12-2021, 07:49 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,930,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slcmomof5 View Post
Utahns are friendly in a different way. Its not the place you can just chat somebody up. If you needed directions or help with something you would definitely find someone. People here have a strong network of family, friends and church friends and don't typically feel the need to get to know others. However there are a lot of groups on meetup that I've heard are great. Just know if you try to start a conversation with someone you may just get awkward glares. I grew up here and always surprised how friendly (chatty) people are outside of this state.
You know, it's funny, but I frequently just strike up a conversation with people I'm standing in line with at the grocery store, a sporting event, at a dog park, etc. I can't recall ever once having been met with an "awkward glare." At the very minimum, people will respond with a friendly sentence or two. More often, though, the conversation tends to go on for a few minutes. I don't even have a clue as to what this "awkward glare" even is. Actually, today when I was in the waiting room at the vet with our cat, a lady sitting next to me started the conversation. We talked about our pets until it was her turn to be seen by the vet. I must either frequently entirely different places or run into entirely different people than the rest of you folks do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area