U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2014, 12:12 PM

2,395 posts, read 5,209,682 times

Advertisements

Hi, I have a few questions about lawn care in SLC region:

1. Will a lawn even grow at all without regular watering? If not (as I suspect), is the watering requirement ongoing during active season, say April-Sept, or just in the hottest part of the summer?

2. Do lawns go dormant in midsummer regardless of what you do?

2. What's typical frequency of cutting? (I'm used to weekly through June then backing off to every 2 or even 3 weeks during midsummer when grass grows much more slowly).

3. Are lawn services common or more something used by fancy (and lazy) folks? Any idea roughly how much the services cost for typical postage stamp suburban lot?

Any comments welcome. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2014, 12:45 PM

21,855 posts, read 21,959,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
Hi, I have a few questions about lawn care in SLC region:

1. Will a lawn even grow at all without regular watering? If not (as I suspect), is the watering requirement ongoing during active season, say April-Sept, or just in the hottest part of the summer?
I lawn would probably die out completely without regular watering throughout June, July and August (and possibly even in late-May and early-September). Before mid-May and after mid-September, you won't need to water as much.

Quote:
2. Do lawns go dormant in midsummer regardless of what you do?
You water and fertilize them and they grow. You don't, and they die. It's as simple as that.

Quote:
2. What's typical frequency of cutting? (I'm used to weekly through June then backing off to every 2 or even 3 weeks during midsummer when grass grows much more slowly).
My husband mows the lawns once a week without fail, throughout the summer, and they definitely need it all summer. Lawns here definitely do not stop growing during the summer months -- unless they don't get enough water. And if they don't get enough water, they die. It sounds pretty different from what you're used to.

Quote:
3. Are lawn services common or more something used by fancy (and lazy) folks? Any idea roughly how much the services cost for typical postage stamp suburban lot?
Sorry, I can't help you with the cost, but I'd say they are probably somewhat common among those who can afford it -- probably in some parts of the city more than in others. I think most people who used a lawn service would be considered "lucky" but not "lazy."

Old 07-16-2014, 04:26 PM

2,395 posts, read 5,209,682 times
Thanks very much! Yes, very different, wow! Here if you don't water in summer it goes dormant and turns brown or scruffy but certainly doesn't die. When it cools off and it rains in Sept it comes back in full force. In some summers if it rains regularly, which it has been recently, it stays perfectly green but mowing frequency goes way down. The only people that water are fanatics and golf courses!

Last edited by kletter1mann; 07-16-2014 at 04:26 PM.. Reason: misspelled golf as gold!

Old 07-16-2014, 06:04 PM

19,814 posts, read 55,694,726 times
Two years ago, I paid $35/week for my Sugar House postage stamp lot.

Old 07-16-2014, 06:11 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,190,721 times
Other than the obvious Winter issues, lawn care in the SLC area is pretty much normal. I water 3 times a week, fertilize twice a year and mow once a week. I usually stop watering/mowing early October and usually start up again early April.

Bill

Old 07-16-2014, 07:19 PM

21,855 posts, read 21,959,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
Here if you don't water in summer it goes dormant and turns brown or scruffy but certainly doesn't die.
LOL! Well, maybe I used the wrong wording. To me, brown and scruffy means dead. I know that's not accurate. Around here, lawns are brown and scruffy from November through May. Except in a few pretty run-down areas of the city, people who don't keep them watered, fertilized and moved during the summer months are not looked upon with much appreciation by their neighbors. Whether you were to water during the in-between seasons (Spring and Fall) or not, your lawn will be a mess for a good four to five months out of the year (November through March). Might as well have a lush, green lawn during the summer months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or