Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 07:37 AM

2,619 posts, read 7,033,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-Aggie View Post
Another option for a fairly cheap, effective, family friendly home security system that is very common in Utah (considering crime is relatively low and everyone goes hiking):

Pros:
  • It sends off a warning alarm before people even open the door acting as a far better deterrent than a box with some sensors.
  • It also increases the intensity of the alarm if the intruder enters the door.
  • If its owners determine the security threat to be benign it goes into sniff mode and makes sure there are no hidden treats.
  • You'll spend about $30 a month to power it and maybe $150 a year in repair bills, so it comes out to be the same cost as an alarm system.
  • Your kids will love it.
  • It will greet you with tail wags every time you get home.
  • Eats spiders

Cons:
  • Shedding
  • Dog breath
  • If you buy it new it'll pee in the house a few times. Older "shelter" models are typically not prone to this.
  • Gets fat without regular exercise.
Excellent suggestion. The OP may wish to consider an upgrade to the industrial/tactical "GSD" model.

The GSD features:
  • Enhanced CPU and larger memory reduces programming time
  • Largest command set available for enhanced adaptability and improved situational behavior
  • Intimidating appearance creates psychological barrier
  • High powered, low frequency alarm penetrates building to deliver maximum deterrent effect
  • can be easily controlled by children or designated parties after programming
  • Fully insulated combat chassis can withstand climactic and weather extremes as well as rough treatment
The GSD model does, however, require an initial programming and break-in period by the owner to prevent the unit from defaulting to auto-program mode. This mode is too protective to be suitable for most families.

I can personally endorse the GSD model. We have used 2 units in this role over a 20 year period. We leave windows open never lock the doors unless we're away overnight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2014, 10:48 AM

3,260 posts, read 6,760,104 times
EXCELLENT recommendation. There's NOTHING quite like a Dog on a Bone.....of a burglar of course ;-)

Old 08-14-2014, 05:58 PM

28,097 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
Excellent suggestion. The OP may wish to consider an upgrade to the industrial/tactical "GSD" model.

I can personally endorse the GSD model. We have used 2 units in this role over a 20 year period. We leave windows open never lock the doors unless we're away overnight.
Is the GSD model pictured yours?

Old 08-14-2014, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Is the GSD model pictured yours?
No, that's a stock picture. Meet our beloved friend and companion, ROLF (attached). He has en extremely sweet disposition and loves children. But boy does he scare delivery guys.
Attached Thumbnails
Do I need the home protection plan/Quail Hollow elementary school?-rolf-eats-stick_small.jpg  

Old 08-15-2014, 09:07 AM

28,097 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
No, that's a stock picture. Meet our beloved friend and companion, ROLF (attached). He has en extremely sweet disposition and loves children. But boy does he scare delivery guys.
Gorgeous fellow!

Old 08-15-2014, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Gorgeous fellow!
Thanks. You'd love him. And he perfectly understand many prepositions: "Off!" "In!" "Out!" and more.

Old 08-15-2014, 10:53 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,856,642 times
OK ... , so what do you do when you are away for a couple of days, leave the poor dog all alone in the house or what ?

If I have to be home with the dog at all times, what is a dog going to do what I can not do by myself ??

As far as I know, most illegal break-ins, are committed with nobody home.
Daily (you are at work ...), OK.
You want to go for a longer period ... , now what ?

<<<
  • You'll spend about $30 a month to power it and maybe $150 a year in repair bills, so it comes out to be the same cost as an alarm system.
Not really, a one time set up of about 250 dollars for me and that was it.
No monthly fees of 30 green ones a month.
No 150 green ones a year for repair.
No poop to get rid off in the yard , since our grand kids are there all the time.

To each his own.

Old 08-15-2014, 11:44 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,667,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
Not really, a one time set up of about 250 dollars for me and that was it.
No monthly fees of 30 green ones a month.
No 150 green ones a year for repair.
I got my LRV used for $50, I guess the previous owners didn't have need for such a high-end model anymore. No monthly fee? You don't feed your GSD? The $150/yr. is more of a guess-timation, mine has not needed any repairs yet, but.. there's always that possibility, especially as they get more miles on them.

The GSD sounds like a great industrial model, certainly high-security. I have a friend with two of them, the older one finds lost and frozen people. I'm more of a fan of the LRV though - best recreation toy you can get, 3 color options and comes with some basic alarm features Wait, are we talking about cars or dogs?

OP, no, you don't need a security system (or even a dog, but they sure are fun!), but if you want one - have at it. The salespeople will surely drop by within the first month after you move in... again and again and again...

Old 08-15-2014, 11:48 AM

81 posts, read 131,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-Aggie View Post
OP, no, you don't need a security system (or even a dog, but they sure are fun!), but if you want one - have at it. The salespeople will surely drop by within the first month after you move in... again and again and again...
We just got concerned when the current owner who said they had a break in next door.....otherwise getting a security system would not have even been on our radars.....my husband might still do some diy with the cameras or what not..good project for him !

I have to admit reading this thread has been quite entertaining !

Old 08-15-2014, 07:19 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,760,104 times
Just make sure at the very least you do NOT bother with the likes of ADT or Vivant. They are real losers. NO police response and nice high monitoring fees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area