U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 08:58 AM

72 posts, read 101,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
And of course you know me well enough to be able to read my mind. Good job.

I just hope the OP takes the time to compare the number of posters who have nothing but negative things to say about the Salt Lake City area to the ones who have positive things to say. There's nothing wrong with the OP considering varying points of view, but I'd hate to have someone who might just love living here not give it a shop because of some of your posts.

Funny considering I have made positive comments about S.L. Valley, but we will just ignore all that because it doesn't fit the agenda now does it? Of course not. Hopefully the Op sees that, judging by the numerous Pm's and rep comments I have gotten when calling it out plenty of others see yours and others agendas.

Keep on keeping on Katz.....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2015, 06:26 PM

23,596 posts, read 24,008,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCards View Post
Funny considering I have made positive comments about S.L. Valley, but we will just ignore all that because it doesn't fit the agenda now does it? Of course not. Hopefully the Op sees that, judging by the numerous Pm's and rep comments I have gotten when calling it out plenty of others see yours and others agendas.

Whatever. So now opinions are "agendas"?

Old 03-04-2015, 12:25 AM

763 posts, read 1,804,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCards View Post

Nobody's ignoring anything. Just because somebody doesn't comment on every facet of every one of your posts doesn't mean those facets are being ignored. If you're this desperate for validation in real life, no wonder you're off-putting to strangers.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 03-04-2015 at 07:55 PM..

Old 03-08-2015, 09:00 AM
mlb

4,043 posts, read 3,329,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolablitz View Post
Hi, We live in Milwaukee in a beautiful home in a diverse neighborhood with high crime, high unemployment, bad schools, bad attitudes, racism and poverty. We've lived in the city paying very high taxes for 10 years, survived the frigid winters, witnessed all kinds of crime and the ugliness of poverty and supported the neighborhood in spite of it. We've paid our dues and it's time to move to a nicer area with nicer people.

We love the idea of Utah. We've heard it's family-oriented, low unemployment, milder climate and of course, surrounded by mountains. My question is where do we live?

My husband is a paramedic firefighter here in the city and is looking into direct transfers now. Any firefighters on here? What's the job like by you? I work for a Diabetes Prevention Program and can transfer pretty much anywhere.

We have three kids and are in our 30s. The girls go to Catholic school right now because our public schools are some of the worst in the country. We would love to send them to good public schools, but it's not a deal-breaker. We are big hikers, runners, mountain bikers and skiers so of course Utah looks pretty amazing to us. We like local restaurants over chains, farmer's markets, libraries, community events - things like that.

Thanks so much for your help!

I'm going to take a different tact with my response - as I grew up in Wisconsin and know Milwaukee pretty well.

I will agree - that wages here will be a shock. EMT/Paramedics make squat. And Diabetes educators are a dime a dozen. If you DO decide to come here - you very well need to have jobs secured before you plant yourselves.

Public schools here are crappy. There is no comparison to public schools in Wisconsin (not Milwaukee - more like Madison) - in terms of education - your kids will start off being much more educated than kids here in public schools. And the Catholic schools here are EXPENSIVE. A friend took her daughter out of Juan Diego because of the $4000 tuition. I don't know what it is now - but it was damned expensive.

You're not going to find much "local" in restaurants.... this is chain restaurant heaven. ONE farmer's market - and one that cannot hold a candle to the Dane County Farmer's Market in Madison. Yes, Community events - but moreso in SLC than the 'burbs.

But here's my one question.... what is it about the rest of Wisconsin - and I don't mean Milwaukee County or even Madison - that would turn you off? Your wages will be higher there - in places like La Crosse, or Oshkosh or any other of the larger communities - why limit yourself? There are communities all over the state that are "not-Milwaukee". You're in the heart of the big city - why not spread out and find smaller town Wisconsin - it will offer you everything you are asking for.

I have family there and the outdoor activities are endless.

There must be other reasons you are leaving Wisconsin.... which, sadly I do know that the political climate there is very, very hostile... but the people of Wisconsin are golden. Uprooting a family will be a difficult thing - I hope your kids are resilient.

Not trying to change your mind - just trying to open your eyes.

Old 03-08-2015, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
You're not going to find much "local" in restaurants.... this is chain restaurant heaven. ONE farmer's market
These two assertions are just plain untrue.

First, there are at least three farmer's markets in the valley: Pioneer Park on Saturday morning, and both the People's Market (Jordan Park) and Wheeler Farm farmer's market on Sundays.

And while I agree that the suburbs may be chain-heavy (ugh), SLC proper is decidedly not:

Locally owned (or at least nonchain) restaurants in the Salt Lake Valley:
African/Ethiopian
African Market
Mahider
Blue Nile

American/Fusion
Forage
Log Haven
Dodo
Red Butte Cafe
New Yorker
Em's
Pago
Eva
Trio
Faustina
Wild Grape
Epic
Market Street
Roots

BBQ
Sugar House BBQ
Kaiser's
Pat's
R&R

Brewpub/Pub
Squatters
Red Rock
Poplar Street
Desert Edge
Bohemian
Bayou
Fiddler's Elbow

Burgers
Crown Burger
Hires

Chinese
Hong Kong Tea House
Cafe Trang
Little World
Sampan
Pagoda
Ho Mei

Deli
Cap.uto's (the forum won't let me type it without the period!)
Granato's
Cucina

Diner
Over the Counter
Ogie's
Other Place
Left Fork
Blue Plate
Lamb's
Ruth's
Finn's (not totally diner, but...)

European/Baltic
Atlantic Cafe
Aristo's
Old Bridge Cafe
Cafe Med

French
Paris Bistro
Franck's
Gourmandise (bakery)

German
Siegfried's

Indian/Nepalese/Tibetan
Himalayan Kitchen
Kathmandu
House of Tibet
Cafe Shambala
Ganesh
Star of India
Bombay House
Curry in a Hurry

Italian/Pizza
Caffe Molise
Fresco
Al Forno's
Michelangelo's
Tuscany
Cucina Toscana
Salt Lake Pizza & Pasta
Este
Vinto
Settebello
The Pie
Piehole

Japanese/Sushi
Kyoto
Takashi
Ichiban
Ginza
Shogun
Circle Lounge
Ahhh
Tsunami

Mexican/Tex-Mex
Frida Bistro
Rico Cafe
Red Iguana
Blue Iguana
Su Casa
Rio Grande Cafe
Lone Star Taqueria

Middle Eastern
Mazza
Cedars of Lebanon

Sandwiches
Moochies
Robin's Nest
Soup Kitchen
Les Madeleine's (bakery)

Spanish
Cafe Madrid
Martine
Finca

Thai
Sawadee
Thai Siam
Chanon
Thai Garden

Vegetarian
Oasis
Vertical Diner
Sage's Cafe

Old 03-08-2015, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCSLC View Post
These two assertions are just plain untrue.

First, there are at least three farmer's markets in the valley: Pioneer Park on Saturday morning, and both the People's Market (Jordan Park) and Wheeler Farm farmer's market on Sundays.

And while I agree that the suburbs may be chain-heavy (ugh), SLC proper is decidedly not:

Locally owned (or at least nonchain) restaurants in the Salt Lake Valley:
African/Ethiopian
African Market
Mahider
Blue Nile

American/Fusion
Forage
Log Haven
Dodo
Red Butte Cafe
New Yorker
Em's
Pago
Eva
Trio
Faustina
Wild Grape
Epic
Market Street
Roots

BBQ
Sugar House BBQ
Kaiser's
Pat's
R&R

Brewpub/Pub
Squatters
Red Rock
Poplar Street
Desert Edge
Bohemian
Bayou
Fiddler's Elbow

Burgers
Crown Burger
Hires

Chinese
Hong Kong Tea House
Cafe Trang
Little World
Sampan
Pagoda
Ho Mei

Deli
Cap.uto's (the forum won't let me type it without the period!)
Granato's
Cucina

Diner
Over the Counter
Ogie's
Other Place
Left Fork
Blue Plate
Lamb's
Ruth's
Finn's (not totally diner, but...)

European/Baltic
Atlantic Cafe
Aristo's
Old Bridge Cafe
Cafe Med

French
Paris Bistro
Franck's
Gourmandise (bakery)

German
Siegfried's

Indian/Nepalese/Tibetan
Himalayan Kitchen
Kathmandu
House of Tibet
Cafe Shambala
Ganesh
Star of India
Bombay House
Curry in a Hurry

Italian/Pizza
Caffe Molise
Fresco
Al Forno's
Michelangelo's
Tuscany
Cucina Toscana
Salt Lake Pizza & Pasta
Este
Vinto
Settebello
The Pie
Piehole

Japanese/Sushi
Kyoto
Takashi
Ichiban
Ginza
Shogun
Circle Lounge
Ahhh
Tsunami

Mexican/Tex-Mex
Frida Bistro
Rico Cafe
Red Iguana
Blue Iguana
Su Casa
Rio Grande Cafe
Lone Star Taqueria

Middle Eastern
Mazza
Cedars of Lebanon

Sandwiches
Moochies
Robin's Nest
Soup Kitchen
Les Madeleine's (bakery)

Spanish
Cafe Madrid
Martine
Finca

Thai
Sawadee
Thai Siam
Chanon
Thai Garden

Vegetarian
Oasis
Vertical Diner
Sage's Cafe
Thank you for taking the time to write this excellent post. You're right. mlb's two assertions are flat our not true and you have provided some solid evidence that they're not. (Couldn't rep you again yet, but I tried!)

Old 03-09-2015, 07:46 AM

2,478 posts, read 5,733,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Thank you for taking the time to write this excellent post. You're right. mlb's two assertions are flat our not true and you have provided some solid evidence that they're not. (Couldn't rep you again yet, but I tried!)
Agreed. SLC proper is actually quite deceptive in this regard (and to be clear, I refer to SLC proper and burbs down to, say 3900S and east of 7th). The prevailing form of commercial real estate takes the form of strip malls - they're everywhere you turn. If you're not paying attention it would be easy to associate the strip mall with chains. I know I did when I first visited. But on closer inspection that's just not so. Sure, chains are there, but there's a far greater number of independent restaurants and other businesses. The list above can only be a fraction of the non-chain restaurants when you include all the little drive-thru coffee places, diners, breakfast/lunch joints, greek take-out, etc etc. The variety is amazing, yet not always very obvious. I can't say how much this remains the case as you go farther south.

Old 03-09-2015, 10:01 AM
mlb

4,043 posts, read 3,329,394 times
Pretty much all downtown. Chains rule south of I-80.

I only go downtown every 6 weeks for a haircut and that's only to 21st South.

Old 03-09-2015, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
Agreed. SLC proper is actually quite deceptive in this regard (and to be clear, I refer to SLC proper and burbs down to, say 3900S and east of 7th). The prevailing form of commercial real estate takes the form of strip malls - they're everywhere you turn. If you're not paying attention it would be easy to associate the strip mall with chains. I know I did when I first visited. But on closer inspection that's just not so. Sure, chains are there, but there's a far greater number of independent restaurants and other businesses. The list above can only be a fraction of the non-chain restaurants when you include all the little drive-thru coffee places, diners, breakfast/lunch joints, greek take-out, etc etc. The variety is amazing, yet not always very obvious. I can't say how much this remains the case as you go farther south.
Clearly, there are going to be more unique dining options in the downtown area, but
Lonestar Taqueria and Oh Mai (Vietnamese) are both in Cottonwood Heights (at about 70th South) and are doing very well.

Old 03-11-2015, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
Pretty much all downtown. Chains rule south of I-80.
Yeah, that's not true either.

Let's take ZIP code 84121, for example, which is most definitely not downtown and is certainly in the south end of the valley. There are 87 restaurants in that ZIP code. Within those 87, only 25 of them are chains:
Arctic Circle
Barbacoa
Cafe Rio
Cafe Zupas
Chipotle
Del Taco
Einstein Brothers
Habit Burger
Jimmy John's
KFC
Little Caesars
McDonalds
Panda Express
Papa John's
Paradise Bakery
Pizza Hut
Red Mango
Sonic
Subway (3)
Taco Bell
Taco Time
Wendy's (2)

That's 29% of them. So over 70% of the restaurants in ZIP code 84121 are not chain restaurants.

Let's try another south valley ZIP code: 84093. There are 19 restaurants there. Eight of them (42%) are chains (Burger King, Carl's Jr., Costa Vida, Domino's, Sub-Zero, Subway, Wendy's, Zaxby's). That's still nearly 60% of them non-chain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or