Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 05:30 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,641,876 times

Advertisements

For or against?

It seems the majority of Utahans are against it and want it to stay put in Draper. I am of this school of thought. Estimated cost of moving the prison if 450 million, and this is assuming we don't have to build infrastructure. The argument for moving it is that prison in Draper is old and needs to be moved as Draper has developed since its initial construction.

The proposed locations are: Salt Lake City (near the airport), Eagle Mountain, Tooele County (out west), West Jordan and Saratoga Springs. The latter two have withdrawn offers for land and there is heavy opposition from SLC and Eagle Mountain. SLC claims the significant industrial development of the northwest part of the valley would be hampered by the prison. Tooele County poses problems due to increased cost (need for infrastructure) and commute problem for the employees who currently mostly live in and around Draper.

So what are your thoughts? I see no reason why the prison should move. It's additional cost to me as a tax-payer and the prison is established enough in its current location that nothing is gained, except for lining the pockets of whichever well-connected developer is lucky enough to get their hands on the land the prison is on, for pennies on the dollar.

Here's the KSL article that inspired this post:
http://www.ksl.com/?sid=32790865&nid...&s_cid=queue-9
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2014, 11:20 AM

9,333 posts, read 6,870,607 times
leave her where she stands.

Old 12-18-2014, 11:31 AM

121 posts, read 188,930 times
Agreed. No good reason to move.

Old 12-18-2014, 01:01 PM

762 posts, read 2,108,795 times
Moving it is entirely an exercise in developer greed and political puppeteering. It should be rebuilt where it is, upward and not outward.

That said, I think the ship has sailed and it will be moved. And Tooele County (ideally the east half) is the only logical choice, both from a financial and urban planning perspective.

Old 12-18-2014, 02:14 PM

14,301 posts, read 14,095,170 times
I think its best where it is. Having said that, I'm almost certain they will move it. There are too many real estate agents, construction companies, and land speculators licking their chops over this. You can bet if that prison is moved there will be plenty of sweet heart deals for people related to legislators and other people in state government. The fact that is a one-party state makes corruption even more likely. No one will be there to ask questions and investigate the shady deals. Its a plum ripe for picking for the right people.

Old 12-18-2014, 04:31 PM

13,139 posts, read 22,708,718 times
He with the most money will win and there's LOTS of private interests in Draper that have LOTS of money. I'm sure the prison will end up out in Tooele with everything else that Wasatch Fronter's don't want in their backyards anymore.

Hopefully the state AT LEAST gets a better facility out of the deal, because the current setup is not gonna do the job in the future, especially when the local population has doubled. If it was me though, I'd put the new prison in a concrete high-rise in East Sandy.

Old 12-18-2014, 05:31 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,717,621 times
I can NOT figure out WHY they even feel the compelling NEED to move it? I certainly can't see homes where it is considering the horrid sand blown nature of that area due to the gravel pit directly above. But rest assured there is some sinister dealing afoot with this situation for sure.

Old 12-18-2014, 06:18 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,582,737 times
Sand pit will be next to go. Look at the quarry.

Old 12-20-2014, 05:00 PM

388 posts, read 544,130 times
I am more interested in the plans for the meat processing place there, the impact is really nasty, much more of an issue that the prison. And that new over 55s construction on Bangerter pkwy? ? Totally ugly.
While it is nice to think we have a say, the prison is gone. The quarries? I am not so sure. I always chuckle that that will be less the point of the mountain as the nub of the mountain.

Old 12-22-2014, 01:39 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,641,876 times
Concerning it being too late to change, I read this in the local news this morning:

Moving the Utah State Prison isn't a done deal | The Salt Lake Tribune
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area