Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 09:11 AM

14 posts, read 33,586 times

Advertisements

Hi, We live in Milwaukee in a beautiful home in a diverse neighborhood with high crime, high unemployment, bad schools, bad attitudes, racism and poverty. We've lived in the city paying very high taxes for 10 years, survived the frigid winters, witnessed all kinds of crime and the ugliness of poverty and supported the neighborhood in spite of it. We've paid our dues and it's time to move to a nicer area with nicer people.

We love the idea of Utah. We've heard it's family-oriented, low unemployment, milder climate and of course, surrounded by mountains. My question is where do we live?

My husband is a paramedic firefighter here in the city and is looking into direct transfers now. Any firefighters on here? What's the job like by you? I work for a Diabetes Prevention Program and can transfer pretty much anywhere.

We have three kids and are in our 30s. The girls go to Catholic school right now because our public schools are some of the worst in the country. We would love to send them to good public schools, but it's not a deal-breaker. We are big hikers, runners, mountain bikers and skiers so of course Utah looks pretty amazing to us. We like local restaurants over chains, farmer's markets, libraries, community events - things like that.

Thanks so much for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2015, 10:24 AM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolablitz View Post
Hi, We live in Milwaukee in a beautiful home in a diverse neighborhood with high crime, high unemployment, bad schools, bad attitudes, racism and poverty. We've lived in the city paying very high taxes for 10 years, survived the frigid winters, witnessed all kinds of crime and the ugliness of poverty and supported the neighborhood in spite of it. We've paid our dues and it's time to move to a nicer area with nicer people.

We love the idea of Utah. We've heard it's family-oriented, low unemployment, milder climate and of course, surrounded by mountains. My question is where do we live?

My husband is a paramedic firefighter here in the city and is looking into direct transfers now. Any firefighters on here? What's the job like by you? I work for a Diabetes Prevention Program and can transfer pretty much anywhere.

We have three kids and are in our 30s. The girls go to Catholic school right now because our public schools are some of the worst in the country. We would love to send them to good public schools, but it's not a deal-breaker. We are big hikers, runners, mountain bikers and skiers so of course Utah looks pretty amazing to us. We like local restaurants over chains, farmer's markets, libraries, community events - things like that.

Seriously, it sounds as if Utah would be ideal for you -- provided you look in and around the Salt Lake City area. The population of Salt Lake City proper is only around 180,000, but the metro area is considerably larger -- somewhere in the area of 1.2 million. Public schools in Utah are not great, but they're not among "the worst in the country" either. And there are some good Catholic schools in the area. If you could give us some kind of idea of what price range home you'd be looking at, it would be helpful to us in knowing what parts of the city you might want to consider.

Old 02-15-2015, 12:04 PM

14 posts, read 33,586 times
Katzpur that is great to hear! 350K is our limit. Just found the Utah FAQ stickie and it is really useful!

Last edited by lolablitz; 02-15-2015 at 12:24 PM..

Old 02-15-2015, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Katzpur that is great to hear! 350K is our limit. Just found the Utah FAQ stickie and it is really useful!
I would check out the Salt Lake City forum, too and the stickies there. And I actually think your thread might get more action if it were moved to the Salt Lake City forum (unless you really are considering other parts of the state). You might want to ask our moderator to do this for you.

If 350K Is your limit, I'm going to suggest Cottonwood Heights, as one of a number of good neighborhoods/cities in the area. I've lived here for almost 33 years. (Wow! I'm 66, so I guess that's almost exactly half of my life.) During the previous 33 years, I lived in Sugar House/Highland Park, Harvard-Yale, West Valley City/Chesterfield and Murray. People familiar with the area may be surprised to see such a wide variety of places; the Harvard-Yale area and West Valley City area are about as opposite as two places could possibly be.

Among other things, the Cottonwood Heights link will tell you that "The city has received local and national recognition including several Best of State awards. In 2007, the city was listed as one of Money Magazine’s 100 Best Places to Live and in 2011 Cottonwood Heights was an All-America City finalist." Also check out the Cottonwood Heights Recreation Center. This is a private recreational center but family memberships are unbelievably affordable. There are two swimming pools (indoor and outdoor), a skating rink, racquetball courts, a gym, and a lot more stuff.

Having lived in Cottonwood Heights for 33 years, I can highly recommend it. It's an incorporated city of just over 34,000 people, bordered on the south by Sandy, the west by Midvale, the north by Holladay and the east by the beautiful Wasatch Mountains. From my house, I can be in downtown Salt Lake in 25 minutes, at the Salt Lake International Airport in 30 minutes, and (if I were a skier ) at four world-class resorts within 20 minutes and at another three within 35 minutes.

There are several Catholic churches in the area. The St. Thomas More Catholic Church is probably the most centrally-located in the Cottonwood Heights area.

(From anywhere in the Salt Lake City area, it's a 4 1/2 - 5 hour drive to any of Utah's five magnificent National Parks.)

Last edited by Katzpur; 02-15-2015 at 06:04 PM..

Old 02-15-2015, 07:46 PM

388 posts, read 548,735 times
I would concur that 350 won't get you in SLC proper and CH would also get my vote. I doubt any elementary/middle catholic school in the valley would do better than cherry picked publics/charters/magnets either, if you do your homework you will find good public schools and save your $$.

Old 02-16-2015, 10:04 AM

2,619 posts, read 7,027,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffeequeen View Post
I would concur that 350 won't get you in SLC proper and CH would also get my vote. I doubt any elementary/middle catholic school in the valley would do better than cherry picked publics/charters/magnets either, if you do your homework you will find good public schools and save your $$.
This is a subject I'm following closely. MLS has dozens of houses listed under $350 in SLC. E Millcreek has many more. Am I missing something?

Old 02-16-2015, 10:55 AM

72 posts, read 117,790 times
Quote:

Now i'm not going to jump on the rah rah Utah is perfect bandwagon, but I will balance it out for you.

Your husband is a Firefightetr/EMT. In Utah an EMT makes poverty wages, a Firefighter a little bit better. I would highly suggest he get a job here and knows what he will be making BEFORE you move to Utah. A friend of mine Graduated from the Academy two years ago and is still waiting for a job, so the waiting list is pretty big and competitive as I understand it. Definitely make sure the job is lined up. Now to address some of your points...

- Family Friendly. It can be, it can be. I would suggest the Salt Lake Valley for that, however. The smaller areas are predominately one group of people and certain areas are known for discriminating against and shunning children that don't belong to the predominate group. I've experienced it myself.

- Schools. Would also suggest the S.L. Valley as they have more Private/Catholic Schools. I strongly recommend if you move to Utah you send them to Pvt/Charter/Catholic Schools as the Public School system in Utah is a joke. There's also a lot of discriminating and politics in the schools here.

- Unemployment. I wouldn't let the numbers fool you as the jobs Utah has are for the most part poverty level jobs with no benefits and zero Employee protections. Firefighting is a bit different, obviously but any side jobs or 2nd jobs will be barely above minimum wage. As an example jobs that pay $13-$16 an hour elsewhere pay $7.50-$9 an hour, $17-$20 elsewhere pays $9.50-$10.50 and $20-$30 an hour jobs pay $12-$14 an hour. I speak from experience and made the mistake of moving thinking my $32 an hour job in Phoenix would be worth at least $20 an hour in Utah. Turns out 5 years University Education and 20 years experience is worth $13 per hour in Utah.

I will also say this, the same issues in WI still exist here. There is plenty of crime, despite every apologist claiming otherwise there IS racism here, there's tons of poverty(they just disguise it very well) and there are plenty of poor attitudes. People walk around looking pissed off and there is a sense of entitlement in Utah. You won't find the Midwestern Hospitality that exists in Wisconsin here.

I know there will be plenty more Utah cheerleading going on in this thread but my honest opinion is you'll find the same issues in Utah plus some and would probably find somewhere else, especially as a Catholic, much better and fitting than this area.

Old 02-16-2015, 12:22 PM

518 posts, read 871,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCards View Post
I speak from experience and made the mistake of moving thinking my $32 an hour job in Phoenix would be worth at least $20 an hour in Utah. Turns out 5 years University Education and 20 years experience is worth $13 per hour in Utah.
I have a gut feeling this was an isolated instance and you encountered an exceedingly greedy employer who was offering below market value.

Phoenix wages are awfully low already. I've never seen so many $10 jobs proudly highlighted and pumped up in job postings.... accordingly job listings requiring a 4 year degree and experience for $13 is, sadly, not that uncommon.

I doubt wages in Utah are much, if any worse, at all. It doesn't seem plausible....

And a family member stopped in Salt Lake briefly last year and remarked how clean the city appeared and how visually appealing Utah is and he'd go back. Poverty even nearing the level of the worst areas of Phoenix also doesn't seem plausible. Phoenix has some serious glaring poverty as you probably know. Still think Phx and AZ it's a good place to live though .

I'd like to head up to Utah and check it out someday. We are neighbors after-all .

Last edited by Bruce Jackpot; 02-16-2015 at 12:37 PM..

Old 02-16-2015, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCards View Post
Now i'm not going to jump on the rah rah Utah is perfect bandwagon, but I will balance it out for you.

Your husband is a Firefightetr/EMT. In Utah an EMT makes poverty wages, a Firefighter a little bit better. I would highly suggest he get a job here and knows what he will be making BEFORE you move to Utah. A friend of mine Graduated from the Academy two years ago and is still waiting for a job, so the waiting list is pretty big and competitive as I understand it. Definitely make sure the job is lined up. Now to address some of your points...

- Family Friendly. It can be, it can be. I would suggest the Salt Lake Valley for that, however. The smaller areas are predominately one group of people and certain areas are known for discriminating against and shunning children that don't belong to the predominate group. I've experienced it myself.

- Schools. Would also suggest the S.L. Valley as they have more Private/Catholic Schools. I strongly recommend if you move to Utah you send them to Pvt/Charter/Catholic Schools as the Public School system in Utah is a joke. There's also a lot of discriminating and politics in the schools here.

- Unemployment. I wouldn't let the numbers fool you as the jobs Utah has are for the most part poverty level jobs with no benefits and zero Employee protections. Firefighting is a bit different, obviously but any side jobs or 2nd jobs will be barely above minimum wage. As an example jobs that pay $13-$16 an hour elsewhere pay $7.50-$9 an hour, $17-$20 elsewhere pays $9.50-$10.50 and $20-$30 an hour jobs pay $12-$14 an hour. I speak from experience and made the mistake of moving thinking my $32 an hour job in Phoenix would be worth at least $20 an hour in Utah. Turns out 5 years University Education and 20 years experience is worth $13 per hour in Utah.

I will also say this, the same issues in WI still exist here. There is plenty of crime, despite every apologist claiming otherwise there IS racism here, there's tons of poverty(they just disguise it very well) and there are plenty of poor attitudes. People walk around looking pissed off and there is a sense of entitlement in Utah. You won't find the Midwestern Hospitality that exists in Wisconsin here.

I know there will be plenty more Utah cheerleading going on in this thread but my honest opinion is you'll find the same issues in Utah plus some and would probably find somewhere else, especially as a Catholic, much better and fitting than this area.
To lolablitz: Obviously, you should pay attention to both the pros and the cons of moving here. I can't speak at all on the subject of firefighter/EMT salaries, so I'm not even going to try. I really hope you don't take AZCard's negative comments too much to heart, though. Yeah, people have bad experiences, but these are not unique to Utah or Salt Lake City. He suggested you limit your house search to the Salt Lake Valley and not look at any of the outlying communities (of which Cottonwood Heights is one). I am a Mormon. There are twelve homes on my street. Eight are occupied by non-Mormon families, while only four are occupied by Mormon families. Some are Christians, some are not. We have one Muslim family on our street. Of the homes on the street behind ours (the homes whose backyards touch our backyards), there is not one single Mormon family. Within just a block or two of my house are Middle-easterners, Blacks, and Asians.

One more thought: I am one of just a few Mormons posting on the Salt Lake and Utah forums of City-Data. Most of the posters are not Mormon and most of them would also disagree with AZCard's take on life here in Utah.

Old 02-16-2015, 05:33 PM

72 posts, read 117,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Jackpot View Post
I have a gut feeling this was an isolated instance and you encountered an exceedingly greedy employer who was offering below market value.

Phoenix wages are awfully low already. I've never seen so many $10 jobs proudly highlighted and pumped up in job postings.... accordingly job listings requiring a 4 year degree and experience for $13 is, sadly, not that uncommon.

I doubt wages in Utah are much, if any worse, at all. It doesn't seem plausible....

And a family member stopped in Salt Lake briefly last year and remarked how clean the city appeared and how visually appealing Utah is and he'd go back. Poverty even nearing the level of the worst areas of Phoenix also doesn't seem plausible. Phoenix has some serious glaring poverty as you probably know. Still think Phx and AZ it's a good place to live though .

I'd like to head up to Utah and check it out someday. We are neighbors after-all .

It isn't isolated when the entire industry I am in is still running on 1970's wages in Utah. I've talked to about 20 employers, none have went above $15/hr for what I do. Utahs wages are a joke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area