Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 02:12 PM

72 posts, read 117,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues_Jade24 View Post
Well AZCards, based off your negative vibes, I'd imagine the friendly people are either unrecognized by you intentionally, or they choose to avoid someone who exudes pessimism.
Yes, it is definitely nice people avoiding me. I've not had that issue in 3 Countries and 22 U.S. States, usually nice people have been plentiful but I will take your word for it and the middle fingers, glares/stares and turning noses up at smiles and "excuse me's" are strictly a fault with me, they can just tell I am "one of those."

Quote:
No religious group controls every aspect of government and life in this state,
Except that they do, and a Politician recently ADMITTED that they do. Stating otherwise is being dishonest.

Quote:
evidenced by how same sex marriage has become legal here.
That pesky Federal Gov't stepping on heads, not Utah Legislatures doing.

Quote:
Rich diversity in the Salt Lake valley.
Slightly less White and LDS is NOT "rich in diversity."

Quote:
You are quoting EMT wages.
Actually, wages in MOST industries here are low. Including EMT's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2015, 01:07 PM

7 posts, read 7,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolablitz View Post
Ok really dumb question, how do I contact a moderator to move this thread?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadbolts' Probie View Post
I like Utah. I have lived here all my 50 years. I am mormon but I don't go to church anymore. My kids were picked on in school for not being Mormon. But hey they lived through it. It's not that bad. The air is bad. The traffic is terrible. The mountains are pretty but forget about doing anything up there on a weekend. Way Way too many people. Jobs pay pretty low. If your older, it is almost impossible to find a good paying job. SLC airport De- icers and re- fuelers make $10- 13 an hour. We will be moving out of here in about a year. But I will miss the mountains and the Great Salt Lake. I do feel safe here as far as natural disasters go. We haven't had our big earth quake............yet
It's clear you've only lived in SLC if you think the traffic is bad there. I currently live in Atlanta, GA but will be moving to SLC in April. Compared to Atlanta the traffic in SLC is a breeze, and yes I've been in SLC during rush hour traffic. I've also lived in Washington DC and spend a lot of time in other major cities with my work travel and SLC traffic isn't even close to what I would call bad. I also don't understand your comment about forget about doing anything in the mountains on the weekends. We've had zero problems and no major traffic issues going to the mountains to run on the trails, hike, ski, etc. on the weekends. In fact, we were shocked at how easy it was to get out to the ski resorts on the weekend afternoon to ski. Granted we don't live there yet, and I'm sure some weekends are worse than others, but we've spent a lot of time in SLC and a lot of weekends there. And most of our weekends have been spent doing things in the mountains. Yes, there is the inversion in the winter. But I really don't think the air quality is as bad as people make it out to be. No place is perfect. I've also found the people in SLC extremely friendly and home prices and the cost of living to be reasonable.

Old 02-20-2015, 04:13 PM

175 posts, read 261,133 times
No I don't live in Salt Lake thank goodness. I live about 40 miles away. Yes you are very correct about the traffic in Atlanta being worse than SL. I didn't compare it to any city. But while we are, Atlanta doesn't compare with Indianapolis, Chicago or St. Louis.
I also meant the mountains, campgrounds and boat ramps are busy in the summer. Most improved campgrounds are booked throughout the summer. You need to call reservations ASAP in January. Makes me glad to have private property

Old 02-21-2015, 10:23 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,667,790 times
Realistically, Salt Lake traffic is pretty mild to anyone who has ever lived in a big city... If you grew up in like... Topeka Kansas, maybe it would seem bad, but for a valley of 1.2 million (and greater metro of 1.9 million) it's super mild. MAYBE add 25% commute time for a drive at 5pm vs at 1pm, unless there's a crash or something, but that can happen anywhere.

Old 02-21-2015, 04:15 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,085,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCards View Post
It isn't isolated when the entire industry I am in is still running on 1970's wages in Utah. I've talked to about 20 employers, none have went above $15/hr for what I do. Utahs wages are a joke.
When my husband and I lived there last year both he and I made more in UT than in CA working the same jobs that we previously held in CA. These were for service jobs, too.

Old 02-24-2015, 09:35 AM

1,286 posts, read 1,481,880 times
Quote:
Yes, it is definitely nice people avoiding me. I've not had that issue in 3 Countries and 22 U.S. States, usually nice people have been plentiful but I will take your word for it and the middle fingers, glares/stares and turning noses up at smiles and "excuse me's" are strictly a fault with me, they can just tell I am "one of those."
Gross exaggeration.

Old 02-25-2015, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Gross exaggeration.
It really isn't.

Old 02-26-2015, 01:21 AM

762 posts, read 2,118,413 times
Quote:
It really isn't.
Jesus, AZCards. Martyr much?

I guarantee I am more obviously an outsider who doesn't belong to the "Utah club" than you are, and even I don't experience anything close to what you claim.

My friends and I have many visible tattoos and piercings (including facial ones), and we don't always wear clothing that meets socially defined gender expectations. Sure, sometimes people here look twice, but they don't openly stare, sneer, gawk, or point, and they CERTAINLY haven't raised their middle fingers or said anything mean. The worst that has ever happened is a child asking innocently, "Are you a boy or a girl?"

So get the chip off your shoulder and find some objectivity. Unless you have three heads and regularly publicly proclaim your allegiance to Satan, what you're describing is just not realistic.

Old 02-26-2015, 08:29 PM

28,096 posts, read 29,957,386 times
Quote:
Gross exaggeration.
I'd have to agree with you on that.

Old 02-26-2015, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCSLC View Post
Jesus, AZCards. Martyr much?
Not even close, but don't let that stop you from hurling insults. Ironic, you're trying to disprove my experiences in UT..... By acting exactly how I am describing. How does that work exactly?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area