Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 07:39 PM

177 posts, read 331,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Around the homeless shelter?

There's alot of violence that goes on around that shelter -

Utah Local News - Salt Lake City News, Sports, Archive - The Salt Lake Tribune

Man stabbed at Salt Lake homeless shelter | Deseret News

Woman charged with murder in stabbing near shelter | Deseret News

Man stabbed in neck outside SLC shelter, police say - KUTV -

CORRECTED PHOTOS: Stabbing Suspect Wanted by Police « Salt Lake City Police Department
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2015, 08:59 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,804,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookintomove15 View Post
Fresno County has a higher murder rate than does LA County.

Take a look.

Fresno County, Murders, per 100k people.
2013: 6.0
2012: 8.0
2011: 5.5
2010: 6.8
2009: 7.5

LA County, Murders, per 100k people.
2013: 5.4
2012: 6.0
2011: 5.7
2010: 6.3
2009: 7.1

Salt Lake City MSA, Murders, per 100k people.
2013: 1.8
2012: 2.2
2011: 2.1
2010: 2.9
2009: 1.9
If you wanted a more realistic comparison you should compare vs Salt Lake County, not just city.

Old 03-06-2015, 12:36 AM

762 posts, read 2,117,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
If you wanted a more realistic comparison you should compare vs Salt Lake County, not just city.
He pretty much did.

He used the Salt Lake City Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA) murder rate, which is Salt Lake, Tooele, and Summit Counties. And since from 2006 to 2012, Tooele County had only 1 murder and Summit County had zero, the rates listed are essentially Salt Lake County's.

Old 03-08-2015, 08:35 AM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,448,689 times
It's like comparing apples to oranges.

We moved here in 1990 from the San Fernando Valley (LA County)... We lived far out in the 'burbs (Chatsworth) and woke up every Monday morning to to the "body count" numbers on the news of gang-related deaths - mostly in East LA - but too close for comfort. And the police acted more like a military unit - there would be "suspects" roaming the neighborhoods and guess how they chased them? HELICOPTERS with beams - overhead our townhome. It was a veritable war zone.

There was a meme going around that you'd better be careful if you were in a traffic accident on the freeway - because you'd most likely become a victim of violence or robbery. And responses to traffic accidents were nil - because the police had more important work to do.

Yes, Salt Lake County has "grown up" and gotten bigger and with more people comes more activity.... but no where near the volume, intensity nor sophistication of crime of Los Angeles County. This is the bush league here - and there it has metastisized and morphed so much so that you suffer PTSD when you leave there.

Old 03-12-2015, 11:36 PM

2 posts, read 6,778 times
Although I have always felt safe in SLC and although this is just a guess, I would say this has to do with the sharp divide among more the typically safe and gentrified neighborhoods (Sugar House, Yalecrest, the Avenues, Rose Park), which are generally located in the northern and eastern parts of town. The more central and western areas (Glendale, Rio Grande, People's Freeway) are typically lower in income and much more diverse and geographically isolated by enormous freeways and wide roads from the aforementioned parts of Salt Lake City.

Also, most families and typical LDS Utahns in the area live in suburbs like Holladay, South Jordan, Draper, etc. Just about all suburbs contain generally these types of people; one exception would be West Valley City, bless its heart. Most residents of the Salt Lake Metro Area do not live in Salt Lake City itself, whereas Los Angeles is a massive city with nearly four million residents, a huge swath of total population in Southern California. The total SLC area is extraordinarily safe in just about all respects, I have found.

However, all of this is from an outsider's perspective so please correct me if I'm wrong in any way, these are just my two observations.

Old 03-13-2015, 09:24 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,665,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iansharris View Post
Although I have always felt safe in SLC and although this is just a guess, I would say this has to do with the sharp divide among more the typically safe and gentrified neighborhoods (Sugar House, Yalecrest, the Avenues, Rose Park), which are generally located in the northern and eastern parts of town. The more central and western areas (Glendale, Rio Grande, People's Freeway) are typically lower in income and much more diverse and geographically isolated by enormous freeways and wide roads from the aforementioned parts of Salt Lake City.

Also, most families and typical LDS Utahns in the area live in suburbs like Holladay, South Jordan, Draper, etc. Just about all suburbs contain generally these types of people; one exception would be West Valley City, bless its heart. Most residents of the Salt Lake Metro Area do not live in Salt Lake City itself, whereas Los Angeles is a massive city with nearly four million residents, a huge swath of total population in Southern California. The total SLC area is extraordinarily safe in just about all respects, I have found.

However, all of this is from an outsider's perspective so please correct me if I'm wrong in any way, these are just my two observations.
Yeh, that durn drug lerd infested ghertto of West Valley City, bless its cold, black, evil heart. I think the totally accurate thing to do would be to call out the "nice" parts of Salt Lake (and pretend Rose Park is among these for some.. strange, bizarre reason..) and then contrast them with the ugly parts, but then just lump all of West Valley City into one, because it's only the second biggest city in the state and cities only vary from place to place if they're Salt Lake City.

And this part totally looks like Redwood Road. Man, I'd hate to live here... No families, just drugs and gangs (which are code word in WVC for rivers and tree lined roads).

Edit: Sorry for the sarcasm. I understand you admit yourself that you're an outsider, but try not to lump my reasonably nice West Valley neighborhood into being the same as living off 3500 South and Redwood Road, since that's like saying Glendale and the Avenues are basically one in the same because they're both called Salt Lake City.

Last edited by Geo-Aggie; 03-13-2015 at 09:33 AM..

Old 03-13-2015, 10:26 AM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
Also, most families and typical LDS Utahns in the area live in suburbs like Holladay, South Jordan, Draper, etc. Just about all suburbs contain generally these types of people; one exception would be West Valley City, bless its heart.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-Aggie View Post
Yeh, that durn drug lerd infested ghertto of West Valley City, bless its cold, black, evil heart.
I think you over-reacted here, Geo-Aggie. I can understand why you get defensive about West Valley City, since I think people are totally guilty of having some very negative stereotypes about the city -- based upon the area you specifically mentioned. But in all honesty, when I first read iansharris' post, my assumption was just that he was saying there's more diversity there than in the other suburbs he mentioned, and maybe that WVC just isn't as white-bread as the rest. Give the guy a break, okay?

Old 03-13-2015, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Give the guy a break, okay?
You're right and I agree, that's why I included my edit below the picture, which says:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-Aggie View Post
Edit: Sorry for the sarcasm. I understand you admit yourself that you're an outsider, but try not to lump my reasonably nice West Valley neighborhood into being the same as living off 3500 South and Redwood Road, since that's like saying Glendale and the Avenues are basically one in the same because they're both called Salt Lake City.
But really, it's an inaccurate assumption that I get to deal with pretty much any time someone asks where I live. Someone's gotta help change the false perception. Just ask that guy who was talking up Ogden a couple weeks ago. I felt empathetic to his cause

Old 03-13-2015, 02:26 PM

2 posts, read 6,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I think you over-reacted here, Geo-Aggie. I can understand why you get defensive about West Valley City, since I think people are totally guilty of having some very negative stereotypes about the city -- based upon the area you specifically mentioned. But in all honesty, when I first read iansharris' post, my assumption was just that he was saying there's more diversity there than in the other suburbs he mentioned, and maybe that WVC just isn't as white-bread as the rest. Give the guy a break, okay?
Thank you, this is what I meant, and I understand and apologize, Geo-Aggie, I understand that West Valley is the second largest city in Utah and I made a hasty generalization.

But speaking in terms of Salt Lake City, what I meant was that there are multiple neighborhoods that could be considered dangerous, and that these might skew the crime reports for an otherwise safe and beautiful city. Also, in terms of Rose Park, from what I have read, it is becoming more and more desirable. However, this could simply be local(s) trying to promote their neighborhood. To be honest, I have never been to Rose Park in particular, I'm just hypothesizing.

Again, Salt Lake is a gorgeous place, and the areas that most people actually consider part of Salt Lake City (again, Sugar House, The Avenues) are typically safe and neat. What I mean is that I think that most people generalize "Salt Lake City" as being east of I-15 and kind of disregard Glendale or Rose Park, for that matter, areas that may have serious problems when it comes to crime. You may consider me un-knowledgeable since I myself live down in St. George, but I often travel up to Salt Lake City proper numerous times each year; I love it up there. This is just what I have seen and experienced.

Last edited by iansharris; 03-13-2015 at 02:40 PM..

Old 03-14-2015, 05:04 PM

Quote:
But speaking in terms of Salt Lake City, what I meant was that there are multiple neighborhoods that could be considered dangerous, and that these might skew the crime reports for an otherwise safe and beautiful city...
I agree that this is certainly part of the issue of why SLC has an inflated crime rate. Lumping The Avenues in with Poplar Grove would be silly. The counter point I was trying to make to your previous post is that the same thing happens in WVC and you maybe sort of did that and I maybe sort of got overly defensive about that (sorry). Thinking Hunter is dangerous because Chesterfield is a bad part of town is like saying Sugar House is dangerous because Glendale is a bad part of town. This all leads to people asking questions like "Is SLC more dangerous than LA? When in reality LA has good parts and bad parts too. Harvard Park is a pretty bad area to be, day or night. Brentwood though? Nah. Great area, day or night!

But it's fine, sorry I got all internet-warrior on you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area