Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 05:15 PM

25 posts, read 31,584 times

Advertisements

Yeah, I bet you guys aren't tired of seeing these, eh?

One of the biggest factors in me ultimately deciding where I will move to is the job market, and I'm constantly hearing (both on here and in real life) that SLC has a relatively good one. To give some context, I have a Bachelors in Psychology with experience in retail, sales, inventory, office skills, revenue management, etc.

As such:

1.) What type of jobs are more common in SLC? White collar or blue collar?

2.) How many entry level opportunities are there?

3.) Are there any reputable temp agencies in SLC?

To give some more context, I'm looking into jobs related to sales (much preferably not retail), hospitality, resort work, non-profit work, data processing, accounting, administration, Human Resources, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2015, 06:13 PM

A couple of other question I forgot to ask:

1.) How competitive is the job market in regards to out of state job seekers vs UofU and BYU graduates? Or does that depend on the field itself?

2.) I'm trying to see if my current job will transfer me later in the year, but just in case they don't, what advice would you give on applying for jobs out of state?

Old 04-14-2015, 09:53 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,667,790 times
1. It's pretty balanced really. Lots of professional, service or labor jobs as long as you can show some qualifications. Actually the job market is good enough right now that if you don't mind low pay you don't really even need to show qualifications.

2. Quite a few. I'm only 4 years out of school but there is no shortage of positions I would feel comfortable applying for if I were looking. Again, the issue is finding one that'll pay you a comfortable wage. Tons of $10-15/hr jobs. Not very many $25-30 ones.

3. Eh, reputable? I don't know. My wife had a temp position with one named Aerotek that led to a decent full-time position for her that she's been at for a couple years now. My old company used to use one called SOS for laborers, I always had issues with the guys they'd send us.

1a. Aggie (USU) graduates get all the best jobs while the Ewetes (Utah) and Boogars (YBU) take the leftovers Nah, I kid. But seriously, USU is a respected major university here too, okay? Good. (Even though Fanzz never carries Aggie gear... grumble, grumble...) On a serious note though, I think it depends on the field and the hiring manager. Both career positions I've held in Salt Lake the hiring manager also had a USU degree and admitted later that it played into their decision as my program is fairly well respected on a local level. I don't think a degree from an out-of-state school will put you at any disadvantage.

2a. I wish I knew. I'm wanting to move to New England and it seems getting a position out of state is much more difficult than finding one locally. I'll have to check back on this thread and see if any of the other fine posters have some good advice for you (us.)

Old 04-15-2015, 06:53 AM

2,619 posts, read 7,032,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-Aggie View Post
>>snip<<<

2a. I wish I knew. I'm wanting to move to New England and it seems getting a position out of state is much more difficult than finding one locally. I'll have to check back on this thread and see if any of the other fine posters have some good advice for you (us.)
thread hi-jack! Where in New England?

Old 04-15-2015, 09:05 AM

1,596 posts, read 2,811,445 times
Any applied Social Sciences in Utah are heavily dependent on certification. In other words, a degree in Psychology is only as good as the certifications attached to it.

Bill

Old 04-15-2015, 09:50 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,667,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
thread hi-jack! Where in New England?
We spent a few weeks up there last year and fell most in love with Southern New Hampshire, because it was quaint, had plenty of regional cities (Manchester, Portsmouth, Nashua), but was also in close proximity to Boston. We also really liked Hull, MA, but think that would be out of our price range. I also really loved East Haddam, CT, but I can't imagine what anyone does for work way out there. I guess commute to New London?

Old 04-15-2015, 01:19 PM

Another question, semi-related to an earlier question I asked.

There is the choice of applying for jobs out of state, but would it be easier to apply for Jobs once one actually relocates into whatever state they move to?

Old 04-15-2015, 01:44 PM

92 posts, read 111,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heart&Mind View Post
Another question, semi-related to an earlier question I asked.

There is the choice of applying for jobs out of state, but would it be easier to apply for Jobs once one actually relocates into whatever state they move to?
That's what I keep being told. I'm in Houston, TX now and really wanting to move me and my wife and kids to SLC by this summer. I've been putting out resumes to manufacturing companies in SLC, Logan, Provo, American Fork, Lehi, Orem, etc... but haven't received any good news. I think the HR decisions are based on keywords, like having a Utah address.

I'm saving money now to take that plunge, but the wife isn't too certain that we should gamble like that. So it's like being in between a rock and a hard place.

Old 04-23-2015, 11:15 PM

1,158 posts, read 960,857 times
As a native Utahn who now lives in DFW, Utah for the most part is a service based job market with lower salaries. See the post above jobs in the $25.00 to $30.00 range are rare. Salaries are higher in Texas and there is no state income tax. Utah has a high state tax rate and housing costs there are ridiculous. It is turning into California. Unless you get a significant raise you are probably better off financially in Texas. Utah is absolutely beautiful with lots of outdoor activities and I do miss that, but that's what vacations are for. When I moved from Utah to Texas I also tried to find a job by sending resumes etc. In the end I just moved and found a great job the same week. However, I was single then with no kids. If you make a lateral move salary wise be prepared your first paycheck may be a shocker...Good luck

Last edited by Angie682; 04-23-2015 at 11:26 PM..

Old 04-24-2015, 04:32 PM

388 posts, read 549,035 times
If you have access to really good schools in Tx, that might not translate here. If you have kids headed to a 4 yr uni any time in the next few years, consider the advantages of the texas university systems for auto admits. However one does read that texas is headed to a huge local financial crisis, and Utah has low unemployment but I would think also has a lot of low skilled labor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area