U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2008, 01:57 PM

29 posts, read 194,461 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm a 30yr old female single doctor, have lived in Atlanta (nice place), NYC (hated it!), and now may be moving to Salt Lake City. I'm a bit of a yippie--an outdoor enthusiast, environmentalist, vegetarian, but also like drinking a martini at a sophisticated lounge with other professionals. I was just wondering what the general feel of the city is like. I of course realize not everyone fits into a one sentence generalization, and I'm sure there are niches for nearly everyone, but every city does have a certain feel to it. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2008, 10:17 PM

515 posts, read 2,115,807 times
You might want to post this question in the SLC forum. And some of the threads there will also give you an idea about your question. I'm in a similar situation to you (single professional female), happily leaving the NYC area for SLC. I have learned a lot on this board. I think the city sounds great, but I will see for myself when I visit next month.

Old 01-16-2008, 10:42 PM

29 posts, read 194,461 times
Thanks! I'm new to this site....

Old 01-17-2008, 12:23 AM

21 posts, read 87,677 times
If you like the outdoors you are looking into the right area of the country. SLC is centrally located to just about all recreational possibilities. The medical community is a great place to meet all kinds of people from all over the world. SLC will offer what your looking for. Except if you are looking for a liberal community. SLC in general is pretty conservative. However there are some exceptions. Check out these neighborhoods when you come: the Avenues, Sugar House and Downtown, I think you'll find these places more inviting for what appears to be your pace. I moved here in May and also work in the medical field (I'm an RN). My opportunities have been endless and people thus far have been very nice. There are some martini bars downtown and some really good restaraunts as well. I especially like Takashi, a japaneses restaraunt downtown and there is a martini bar attatched next door. Don't let the forums that get off on LDS tangents scare you, it's really not a big issue, people seem to make a bigger deal out of it than it is.

Old 02-07-2008, 01:10 AM

3 posts, read 25,665 times
Default You'll Love SLC

We are a diverse, dynamic city. There are plenty of recreational opportunities for you. The mountains are so close with hiking and camping. Friends get together for campfires in the canyons. Mountain biking is available. Stay close to downtown and you'll enjoy the restaurants and night life and culture. We have a renowned symphony and great theaters. There is a young crowd of college age and post-college professionals. Take the leap of faith and with an open mind you can love Utah. You'll meet many from other areas and lots of locals. Yes, you will meet Mormons and even make friends with them. Sometimes they have fun activities or will even go to the bars and clubs. Some drink, some don't. I wish you the best on your new adventure.

Old 02-12-2008, 01:32 PM
j1n

1,237 posts, read 4,148,644 times
slc = wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide streets!

Old 02-17-2008, 10:57 PM

6 posts, read 22,725 times
Salt Lake City is a wonderful place to live. Salt Lake City itself is not very big---about 180,000 people. The metro-area is much larger---about 1 million people. The Wasatch Front, which includes Salt Lake City-Ogden-Provo has about 2.1 million people. If you like the outdoors then Utah is the place for you. Virtually every form of outdoor recreation is here, much of it just minutes from the city. There are 11 Ski Resorts literally just minutes away from the city. There are four distinct seasons here---Winter, Spring, Summer and Fall. It doesn't get too hot or too cold. The humidity is very low, especially in summer.

There is nightlife in Salt Lake City. You CAN get a drink. The liquor laws are a little different than other places but alcohol is legal for those over 21 years-old.

Old 02-18-2008, 12:59 AM

2,294 posts, read 5,605,936 times
No actually I have to disagree with this. The summers in Salt Lake are as hot as any I've lived through in New Mexico or Texas. Temperatures get up in to the high 90s but do drop quickly in September.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah_Mountain_Man View Post
....... It doesn't get too hot or too cold. The humidity is very low, especially in summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area