Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2015, 08:07 AM

6 posts, read 6,307 times

Advertisements

I need some help with choosing an area for middle and (mainly)high schools in the greater SLC/PC area. We had hoped to move to Lake Jordanelle area outside of PC and use the open enrollment to send our kids there but looks like that will be gone soon due to capacity concerns. Currently we are at a loss on where to move because our kids education is very important to us along with a good athletics dept. We have now opened our minds to find a place that will suit all our needs and our pocket book. We do not need a huge house but rather one that is nice and full of nice new/remodeled amenities and that seems hard in PC for less than $700K.

We do plan to go back to visit other areas now and to look at more schools but just want to narrow it down so we can research homes, schools and the surrounding area. I would love first hand knowledge on Wasatch High in Heber, North/South Summit High and SLC High Schools in the Valley close to the Mtn range.

Is it also my understanding that in SLC you can live anywhere and send your kids to any school/district of your choosing as long as there is capacity?

Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2015, 06:42 PM

914 posts, read 973,455 times
Hi, I live in South Jordan and my daughters go to school in Sandy(long story of how we ended up this way) As we found the school before the house I now drive them and do not want to change them again after relocating from overseas. My oldest will go middle school and could have changed into the Jordan district but as she has made friends I got her a permit as there was capacity at the Middle school her friends are attending and she will feel happier being with people she knows especially after going a grade up and actually starting Middle school a year earlier than she would in the UK. Ring the schools you are interested in and I know for canyons district and others the permit deadline may have passed but as you have not yet moved you may be ok. Failing that you could try applying to charter schools under the lottery but again I think the deadline may have passed but you may get lucky. Good luck as I know what a difficult task it is trying to get it right & with our elementary school we got it so right

Old 04-28-2015, 07:43 PM

388 posts, read 549,035 times
Capacity is the key word though, if you want a popular nice school so do all the other out of boundary kids. If you have academically motivated students, look at the IB program available in several valley HS. To assess academics schools publish their ACT results, and search for the national merit lists to see how schools do. SAT results can be hit and miss as only certain kids will take the SAT.

Old 05-02-2015, 09:39 AM

6 posts, read 6,307 times
So I have tried researching several schools in the area but the different websites seem to differ greatly. Greatschools, schooldigger, niche, us news etc. school rankings and reviews vary greatly. It is definitely hard to get a feel for the schools in an area one is unfamiliar with.We hope to see the schools in person when we visit next month, just hope the administration of the schools are willing to show us around.

Old 05-02-2015, 11:41 AM

914 posts, read 973,455 times
I would say go and see for yourself. Although Greatschools helpful its not always accurate and neither are other sites. Nothing like looking round properly to get a feel for somewhere. Some do, some don't varies greatly !. We looked at a school rated 10 and was completely unimpressed especially as didn't take us round and no tour during school hours which kind of defeats the object of looking round it. No Principle or staff showed us round or talked about things either so form your own opinions. The school we settled on rated an 8 as was another we looked at and both principles and staff were helpful, informative and gave us a good feel for a school. We have not been disappointed at all!
Coming from UK is strange so many schools will not let you look round in school hours even if you are accompanied, we found this with middle schools too as my oldest is going this year and missed the visit day as we were still in the UK.I understand the security side but how can you see how a school works with no kids actually in it being taught. Don't want to interrupt lessons either but makes it a hard task. Also I take some of the opinions from people with a pinch of salt on Greatschools as I think they maybe have their own agenda! What areas are you looking in now?.Drop me a prvate message if you like :-) In the UK we have an independent body that writes reports on a school and about its character so sometimes a bit more accurate to get a feel for the school etc but I think all kids and parents different and best way to judge what suits your child is to look at the school and ask lots of questions. I am so relieved we definitely got our choice spot on like we did when we chose a school in the UK for our kids previously

Old 05-03-2015, 12:23 PM

4 posts, read 4,107 times
From what I know, Wasatch High would probably have better academics than N/S Summit.

I went to 2 different high schools (10+ years ago): Park City High and Highland High (in Sugarhouse), so I can comment on those. PCHS is probably the best academically and it has good sports programs. I personally wouldn't want to put my kids there because so many of the students come from extremely wealthy backgrounds and their attitudes reflect that. When I was a student there, there was also rampant drug use/drinking and so many parents were absent from their kids lives, leaving them $500+ for the weekend and not even checking in. Just a thought. But if your kids are very involved in activities and sports, they may not run into those same problems. I loved loved loved Highland High- very diverse student body and very strong school spirit. The athletic department is great too. Highland wasn't as challenging academically however, the exposure I had to different cultures and the friendly students made up for it! Let me know if you have more questions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area