U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2015, 06:11 PM

134 posts, read 108,295 times

Advertisements

My husband and I will be in SLC for a few days starting May 9th. While we have much to see, we would also like to try some local restaurants. We're looking for more informal places that serve SLC favorites or specialties. Where do locals go and love?

Searching for 'best' anything returns a lot of fancy places that we're not interested in. I have searched this forum and found multiple recommendations for the Red Iguana, Pie Pizzeria, and Squatters Brew Pub. Also found Lonestar Taquiera and Javiers.

Is there a burger joint that's a favorite? Maybe a local coffeehouse? Breakfast place? BBQ is always awesome too, if there's a local BBQ joint that everyone loves.... we've been known to drive to other states for BBQ.

Any recommendations on casual local places, not big chains, that serve that something special that is an SLC favorite?

Thanks in advance!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2015, 06:27 PM

6,631 posts, read 4,045,603 times
BBQ - Pat's BBQ, R&R BBQ, or Sugarhouse BBQ

Breakfast - The Park Cafe (south side of Liberty Park), Ruth's diner (emigration canyon good brunch spot on back patio), Eggs in the city (Huevos rancheros), and Millcreek Egg works

Burger places - a dime a dozen but the local thing is "fry sauce" but Lucky 13 would be my stop.

Moochies has an amazing philly cheese steak and meatball subs.

Pizza - pie is ok but a greasy gut bomb... We prefer either Maxwell's or Settabellos

Mexican - Lonestar Taqueria (shack but great outdoor spot near the mountains to enjoy grilled fish tacos), Alamexo (short rib mole enchiladas are amazing), Red Iguana (go to choice, avoid Blue Iguana).

Some pretty good ethnic (Mahidir, Oh Mai, Spice Bowl) and sushi options as well (Naked Fish, Takashi).

Old 05-03-2015, 08:45 PM

914 posts, read 793,616 times
Also Porcupine do an amazing brunch on a Sunday and lots of other delights. Fort Union Blvd near cottonwood heights.

Like above Red Iguana/ Red Iguana 2 for Mexican (Red 2 seems less busy and has a nice patio area and can make reservations too.

Tapas -Meditrina SLC. Very good tapas/Spanish cuisine

Again Burgers would have to agree Lucky 13 !

Desert Edge Brewery in Trolley square is good too!

Old 05-03-2015, 08:52 PM

24,130 posts, read 24,590,724 times
There are a number of surprisingly good restaurants in Salt Lake, and several have already been mentioned. In terms of "SLC favorites or specialties," in particular, I would recommend the Lion House Pantry. This restaurant is owned by the LDS Church and is on Temple Square property. It's in the lower level of what was once Brigham Young's (2nd President of the LDS Church) home. The atmosphere is kind of fun and if the weather's good, you can eat outside in Brigham's backyard patio under the trees. When you walk in, the first thing you'll notice is that the food is served cafeteria style. Don't be put off by that. It might be served like that but it takes more like grandma's home cooking. Definitely don't miss the Lion House rolls.

In terms of a favorite burger joint, for me it would definitely be Crown Burger. While there are several locations throughout the city, the one closest to downtown is at 300 West North Temple.

Old 05-03-2015, 09:33 PM

543 posts, read 1,270,792 times
Agree with some of the suggestions above.

Pizza - Settabello is a chain (not original to Utah) but really good. If you're staying on a Sunday I recommend Stoneground's Sunday supper. They make pizzas randomly and bring them around to the tables so you never know what you're going to get. It's fun and they give you salad, a bruschetta plate, and a pasta plate. I think it's something like $17 per person.

Burger - Agree with Crown Burger... I like the one with pastrami on top. Total gut bomb but it's good. Liked the roasted habanero and jalapeno burger at Lucky 13 but I like super spicy stuff to try at your own risk.

BBQ - R&R all the way. It's really good.

Mexican - Not a Red Iguana fan but I also didn't try the mole which I'm told is the whole reason to go there. If you're willing to go to a hole in the wall type of place Taqueria El Rey De Oros is excellent and ridiculously cheap.

Cheaper but nice - I like Vinto quite a bit. Stoneground even not for Sunday supper is good. The Olive Bistro has good Panini's and savory crepes. The shwarma and keema wraps at Curry Fried Chicken are to die for... so so good.

Breakfast - Ruth's and Pig & a Jelly Jar all the way. Both get really busy on the weekends so be prepared to wait if you try to go to either on a weekend.

Old 05-03-2015, 10:06 PM

119 posts, read 150,472 times
Lots of good suggestions above. I'm from the KC area, so I've been searching for good BBQ since moving here. R&R is the best I've tried so far. It's not Joe's or Aurthur Bryant's but still pretty good.

A couple others not mentioned yet that are inexpensive and casual...

Chow Truck - Asian fusion
Saturday's Waffle (also a truck) or Bruges Waffles
The Garage - a fun roadhouse style place in an industrial setting, decent burgers
Caputo's - Italian deli and market
Feldman's - Jewish deli, fantastic reuben
Spitz - may be a chain, but great take on doner kebab

Old 05-03-2015, 11:24 PM

24,130 posts, read 24,590,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mezman View Post
Breakfast - Ruth's and Pig & a Jelly Jar all the way. Both get really busy on the weekends so be prepared to wait if you try to go to either on a weekend.
How could I ever forget Ruth's?

Old 05-04-2015, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksman View Post
Lots of good suggestions above. I'm from the KC area, so I've been searching for good BBQ since moving here. R&R is the best I've tried so far. It's not Joe's or Aurthur Bryant's but still pretty good.

A couple others not mentioned yet that are inexpensive and casual...

Chow Truck - Asian fusion
Saturday's Waffle (also a truck) or Bruges Waffles
The Garage - a fun roadhouse style place in an industrial setting, decent burgers
Caputo's - Italian deli and market
Feldman's - Jewish deli, fantastic reuben
Spitz - may be a chain, but great take on doner kebab
Yeah, if we're adding in food trucks Chow and Cup Bop (Korean BBQ) are great.

Forgot dessert type places as well. Bruges is a good suggestion (though they have non-dessert options as well). Also a big fan of Dolcetti Gelatto. Plus the tons of good to great bakeries in the area.

Old 05-04-2015, 09:37 AM

1,787 posts, read 2,082,749 times
I just tried a new (well, new to me) Mexican place this last week called Chunga's. It's right in the heart of the "ghetto" (200 North and 900 West). There are literally boarded up houses around it, but Wow! So worth it! Anyway, I highly suggest it. Better than Red Iguana and about half the price.

My other favorites: Eggs in the City (Breakfast on 1300 South and 1500 East), Pho Cali (Vietnamese at Redwood and 3500 South) and Salt Lake Roasting Company (coffee on 400 South 300 East).

Old 05-04-2015, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
How could I ever forget Ruth's?
Senior moments happen to the best of us... even those of us in our 30's, ha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area