Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 05:43 PM

124 posts, read 97,865 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am currently attending university in my hometown in IL, completing a bachelor's degree majoring in history with a minor in secondary education. I plan to move to Utah sometime within 5 yrs of completing my degree, basically depending on how soon I can afford it, whether or not I can find a teaching job out there, and of course how quickly I can get my teaching license transferred from Illinois to Utah.

I want to live in one of the suburbs of Salt Lake City, but not because of a lesser Mormon impact on the area, because I'm a devout Orthodox Christian, and I already checked, the only Orthodox parishes in the ENTIRE STATE are in the Salt Lake area.

The impact of the LDS church on Utah culture doesn't concern me (that much) because the LDS faith and my own have a lot in common in the area of moral values. That's one of the things attracting me to the state actually, we might have different theology (very different) but our standards and value systems are actually not far apart at all. I'm even used to being a minority in terms of my religious views, Orthodox represent only roughly .6% of Christians in the entire nation and I get crap about it from people where I live now. What does concern me about this though, is that even among the local LDS ward in my current city (which I grew up around because my BFF was raised Mormon) I've felt the us vs. them... I've felt the condescension, the holier than thou attitude, and the unspoken pity... and I've been told that Utah Mormons are "a different breed", but I've gotten mixed and conflicting messages as to what is meant by that. I've heard it will be better, and I've heard it would be much, much worse... This is most concerning with my future career as a social studies teacher, mainly in dealing with the parents. I'm not the kind who goes around witnessing to people on the street, but anybody who takes one look at the 3-barred cross around my neck is going to know I'm not Mormon at the very least, and if they know their world-religions or just plain old history they might even get to Orthodox. How bad will it be with my LDS co-workers, administration, and of course the students and parents....?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2015, 08:44 PM

914 posts, read 973,455 times
I cant see it being an issue at all. I work in a school (not as a teacher) but have had no issues and although I am not Mormon or do not practice any faith for that matter no one has cared or even asked. They know I don't go to church and that I see friends on a Sunday or do stuff but accept me for who I am .I have an amazing bunch of work colleagues who I love dearly and have made me more than welcome including the Principal . Maybe that's because I am not from the US maybe not . We have a laugh together, people have a great sense of humour and today they were very excited at the fact I baked some UK delicacies and bought them in. My kids go to a school where again it has not been an issue by their teachers, friends or for their parents so I am left wondering constantly why there is so much airtime and worry given to this. My neighbourhood is lovely and friendly as are my neighbours and we live our life the way we would anywhere else. What am I missing?? Maybe people are trying to scare people from moving here as its such a great place to live and they don't want a mass influx of people ! I find people very respectful and I am of their faith or lack of. If I like you I like you, simple as, and the same has been reciprocated.

Old 06-04-2015, 09:33 PM

28,097 posts, read 29,957,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montygirl View Post
I cant see it being an issue at all. I work in a school (not as a teacher) but have had no issues and although I am not Mormon or do not practice any faith for that matter no one has cared or even asked. They know I don't go to church and that I see friends on a Sunday or do stuff but accept me for who I am .I have an amazing bunch of work colleagues who I love dearly and have made me more than welcome including the Principal . Maybe that's because I am not from the US maybe not . We have a laugh together, people have a great sense of humour and today they were very excited at the fact I baked some UK delicacies and bought them in. My kids go to a school where again it has not been an issue by their teachers, friends or for their parents so I am left wondering constantly why there is so much airtime and worry given to this. My neighbourhood is lovely and friendly as are my neighbours and we live our life the way we would anywhere else. What am I missing?? Maybe people are trying to scare people from moving here as its such a great place to live and they don't want a mass influx of people ! I find people very respectful and I am of their faith or lack of. If I like you I like you, simple as, and the same has been reciprocated.
Well, for crying out loud... How could people not like you, Montygirl!

Old 06-04-2015, 11:38 PM

914 posts, read 973,455 times
lol, that's what my neighbour here said! ( I took him sausage rolls too!!) . He also called me a social butterfly. Or maybe its because they love my craziness and extrovertedness and think I am a throwback to Monty Python lol . Oh and the fact I embrace living here and love it and am not as the Aussies & Kiwis often call us "whinging pommes" Yesterday was our 4 month anniversary here and has flown. Day was topped off with my daughter qualifying for premier level comp soccer this year in a wonderful team of girls with a great group of parents. We are all getting together Monday to cheer on the USA in the womens world cup at someones house with a potluck dinner ! Divided loyalties as I love the Aussies too after spending time there and in NZ for work! No divided loyalties Tuesday though when England play France !! sacre bleu

Old 06-05-2015, 05:06 PM

32 posts, read 54,705 times
Hey there!

Thanks for your interest in moving to Utah. We'd love to have you here!

A few things you may want to consider: First, most Orthodox Christians have (south-)eastern European roots, and few have come to Utah historically. Utahns have mostly Scandinavian and British heritage (the vast majority of early pioneers were actually first-generation immigrants from there) where Orthodox Christianity is not very widespread. Even though you said parishes exist, it is probably one of the less visible groups of denominations out here. I have yet to meet an Orthodox Christian here and it's been over six years since I've moved to Utah.
That said, SLC and most of its northern suburbs through Ogden are pretty diverse and fitting in won't be much of a problem.

Another reason for the lack of parishes elsewhere in Utah is that there are not very many people in other parts of Utah to start with. I'm not sure how excessively you've traveled the state and if you've actually spent some time here (I recommend it before making a long-term move), but Utah isn't the Midwest. It's not having a town every 10 to 15 miles along the road where you can get restitution to your basic needs (and sometimes more). Once you leave the Wasatch Front, you may want to have some gas in your tank because there are some areas without human settlement for perhaps 80 or 100 miles or even more along the highway. That might give you an idea as to why most non-LDS denominations are limited to the Wasatch Front in their Utah presence.

Utah Mormons are a fascinating bunch, and in my experience they get beaten up more by out-of-state Mormons than by anyone else. That's why I wouldn't necessarily take anything at face value in that regard if I were you. That said, if I were to describe Utah Mormons at large in comparison to Mormons from other places, my perception would be rather negative: Spoilt, undedicated, sheltered, judgmental, ignorant hypocrites. Experiences include: A girl in high school calling the police on me after I asked her out on a date, (what feels like) a gazillion people not coming to Church anymore once they move more than two blocks away from it, and local leaders preaching that just wearing a shirt and tie to Church is simply not "good enough." I'm also still punching everyone in the face who tells me that I'm "from the Mission field", but fortunately this has gotten less lately
That said, I've also met lots of Mormons in Utah who are loving, welcoming, accepting and educated people who are doing a rather good job at actually living what they believe in. For a better experience, you may like to hang around that crowd. They tend to be your age too, and from what you said about yourself you may actually enjoy it and make friends with them easily.

What else? The job market is good. The pay isn't, but then again, life in Utah is cheap to start with. Good luck with your endeavors!

Old 06-05-2015, 06:54 PM

28,097 posts, read 29,957,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat1889 View Post
Hey there!

Thanks for your interest in moving to Utah. We'd love to have you here!

A few things you may want to consider: First, most Orthodox Christians have (south-)eastern European roots, and few have come to Utah historically.
Okay, I realize that Orthodox Christianity is not solely the Greek Orthodox Church, but the following information may be of interest to the OP, particularly in light of the comment I'm now quoting...

Today we are one of the largest single Greek Orthodox Parishes west of Chicago. We are one of the largest Greek Orthodox Parishes in the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, with two churches under one Parish Council, and a unified Parish program and a united community.

Today, the total integration of the Salt Lake City Greek Orthodox Community into the mainstream of the American way of life has been fulfilled. The Greek Community has become an important and productive element in the business, civic, cultural, educational and social life of our city, state and nation. Yes, the "American Dream" that brought our forefathers to this land and city has succeeded.

Today, the 1200 plus families include Greek Immigrants, Greek-Americans, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th generations, many converts, and inter-faith marriages and other Eastern Orthodox from Bosnia, Russia, Serbia, Romania and Armenia.

Source: Greeks in Utah

Old 06-05-2015, 07:27 PM

I'm not disputing at all that Greek/Eastern European culture exists in Utah. I just dispute that it is very visible overall (especially since cohesion among members of a culture tends to vanish with every new generation, and most Greeks came around the turn of last century to work in the mines or on the railroad). After all, 1200 families isn't a whole lot in a state of three million people.

The actual numbers of those with Greek heritage in Utah by zip code: Cities with the Highest Percentage of Greeks in Utah | Zip Atlas The average of most noteworthy cities in Salt Lake County lies somewhere around a half percent. The Greek festival is lovely and impressive though - especially the food doesn't differ much from the food I've eaten on my three trips to Greece.

Then again, who knows if this is meaningful at all since we don't know what branch of Orthodox Christianity the OP adheres to...

Old 06-05-2015, 08:15 PM

Default Ok, Guys, Guys,

Actually, I'm not of Greek or Eastern European Heritage, I'm roughly 49.5-50% British on my Dad's side, my mom's side is German, and to a lesser extent French, Dutch, Polish and just about everything else west of Russia... I am a convert to the Orthodox faith...I currently attend a Carpatho Russian parish, the same one into which I was received through Baptism and Christmation, but without one I'd probably just look for a church where the services were in English or at least bilingual as I speak very little Russian, even less Church Slovonic, and almost no Greek.

Let me Clarify what I mean by our morals being similar...

I don't smoke
I don't drink alcohol other than the consecrated wine of the Eucharist
I don't do drugs
I actually have a slightly stricter personal modesty standard than the LDS requirement
I don't swear
I don't gossip
I don't go out partying
I don't listen to any music that contains more than one or two swear words or that glorifies sex, drinking, drugs, and partying
My idea of a wild night is some loud, wholesome upbeat music and an energy drink or two (I'm a caffeine junky but I hate, hate, hate coffee...maybe some chai tea or hot coco but I hate coffee)

Pretty much I just try to be kind, stand up for what I believe in and what is right, serve others as opportunities to do so present themselves, and just generally treat the people around me with the respect and common courtesy we all deserve

Old 06-05-2015, 08:26 PM

Good! This will come a long way for you over here, or just about anywhere for that matter.

Old 06-05-2015, 08:42 PM

So you don't think that somebody like myself would be treated like an outsider for too long? I mean I'm sure I'll make some friends within my new parish but that's a pretty small social pool to draw from... I do fortunately have one friend out there already but she lives in Spanish Fork.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area