Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 10:50 AM

372 posts, read 398,378 times

Advertisements

One of the reasons I'm thinking of a Salt Lake move is how solid the economy is doing. But how difficult is it really to find a job?

I'm speaking as someone with an administrative background and some restaurant experience who's flexible on the industry I'm working in. I'm currently planning to beef up my education so I can transition careers over to accounting eventually, but SLC looks appealing since it seems like finding a job should be a piece of cake. (In theory).

One thing that concerns me though, is I've seen a lot of job with some stipulations that say you have to be "Temple Worthy". How is this even legal and why is this a thing? Is it harder for non-LDS to find work because of this?

Old 08-27-2015, 10:58 AM

14 posts, read 24,172 times
I can't say I have ever seen "temple worthy" as a job requirement. Bizarre. I didn't have much trouble finding a job, even right out of high school. I am not LDS either, and they can't legally deny you a job because of your religion (or lack-there-of)... The "temple worthy" thing really boggles me though.

Old 08-27-2015, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaytiSeanee View Post
I can't say I have ever seen "temple worthy" as a job requirement. Bizarre. I didn't have much trouble finding a job, even right out of high school. I am not LDS either, and they can't legally deny you a job because of your religion (or lack-there-of)... The "temple worthy" thing really boggles me though.
I found it on a few job postings through Indeed, but it was weird enough that it stuck out.

Old 08-27-2015, 12:14 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,668,283 times
The LDS church does list that as a requirement for positions at the COB or other church administrative positions they have and you can be let go if you fail to keep a current recommend. That being said, if you're not LDS you really wouldn't want to work for them anyway. They pay poorly and the environment would be awful. You won't find that requirement anywhere else. In fact in SLC and its adjacent neighbors most people aren't even Mormon - it's just out in the suburbs that it turns into Mormon-landia.

The job market here is great if you don't mind making $10-15 an hour doing customer service or peon work. There are countless dead-end jobs paying that much and they're easy to get. When it comes to the higher paying professional positions, they're considerably more competitive. You need the degree, the experience and it really help to have the connections too, because everyone else in Utah also has a degree and experience.

Old 08-27-2015, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-Aggie View Post
The LDS church does list that as a requirement for positions at the COB or other church administrative positions they have and you can be let go if you fail to keep a current recommend. That being said, if you're not LDS you really wouldn't want to work for them anyway. They pay poorly and the environment would be awful. You won't find that requirement anywhere else. In fact in SLC and its adjacent neighbors most people aren't even Mormon - it's just out in the suburbs that it turns into Mormon-landia.

The job market here is great if you don't mind making $10-15 an hour doing customer service or peon work. There are countless dead-end jobs paying that much and they're easy to get. When it comes to the higher paying professional positions, they're considerably more competitive. You need the degree, the experience and it really help to have the connections too, because everyone else in Utah also has a degree and experience.
Okay, that's actually useful. I thought it might have been something for church related work but the postings didn't really specify a company.

Old 08-27-2015, 01:35 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times
Many LDS church positions have "temple worthiness" as a requirement. It's only an issue if you want to work directly for the Mormon Church. Obviously, they are not the only game in town by a longshot.

As for the real employment situation, I'd say there are plenty of low-paying jobs but things become sparse and competition fierce for anything that pays north of around 20 bucks an hour. Better have at least a bachelor's degree and a quality job history if you want to jump into the fray!

Old 08-27-2015, 02:30 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,856,642 times
I know of only one person, who by sheer hard work,
does now have a good paying job after a few years
doing odd jobs here and there, while going to school after work.
He finally, after 4 years doing the rather low pay menial jobs, got his advanced degree(s) and now is a 6 figure breadwinner 10 years later !!
Sheer hard work, and he kept doing it !!
For him it paid off, but it did take a long time !!
BTW, he never was *out of work* !!

There have to be more people like him in this area ... , I am sure of it !!

Old 08-27-2015, 03:29 PM

914 posts, read 973,548 times
Lots of work here, Im not sure as I work in education so not great pay but no different to where I came from. Saying that I have the limitations of no childcare and no family here so I have not dipped my toe in the more competitive market as its not realistic for me even though I am more than qualified. I think you will be fine and there are lots of new global companies moving in here. I have never seen a job advert saying Temple worthy ever and I am not LDS.

Old 08-27-2015, 07:17 PM

28,097 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montygirl View Post
I have never seen a job advert saying Temple worthy ever and I am not LDS.
Nor has anybody else. Know why? It's because there aren't any. LDS Church employees must be "temple worthy," but the Church does not advertise for its job openings. The OP is just yanking our chains and getting a good laugh out of the fact that we're all trying to reassure him.

Old 08-27-2015, 07:54 PM

543 posts, read 1,382,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Nor has anybody else. Know why? It's because there aren't any. LDS Church employees must be "temple worthy," but the Church does not advertise for its job openings. The OP is just yanking our chains and getting a good laugh out of the fact that we're all trying to reassure him.
Actually they do advertise. I saw a couple of accounting jobs on one of the career sites (can't remember which but probably Indeed) for the LDS Church. I looked at them just out of curiosity and they did indeed require "temple worthy" as a criteria.

Anyway, as everyone has already told the OP only the LDS Church can require that of someone. So he/she must have pulled up one of their jobs without knowing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area