Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 04:50 PM

243 posts, read 628,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYtoVT View Post
Better than even chance it's the Mormon thing. They were waiting for you to show up at the ward on Sunday. When you didn't, they don't have the time for you. Not uncommon at all. BTW, you wouldn't be in Utah county would you ?
Seems like a loaded statement. Looking to pick a fight or something?

Honestly I doubt this is the case, but if it is, shame on them. Realistically if it's a Mormon thing, they would probably be going out of their way to talk/be friendly to OP because they want to find a way to bring the church up to get the conversation going.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2015, 05:53 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,855,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soccerscotty21 View Post
Honestly I doubt this is the case, but if it is, shame on them. Realistically if it's a Mormon thing, they would probably be going out of their way to talk/be friendly to OP because they want to find a way to bring the church up to get the conversation going.
Since none of us on this *forum* know the real reason, that is why I told the OP NOT to dwell on it.
Just go on, be yourself and continue with being a good neighbour.

Somehow, maybe it will turn around ?

Direct confrontation may turn even worse ...

After all, we only one side of the whole situation.

Last edited by irman; 09-21-2015 at 07:06 PM..

Old 09-21-2015, 08:53 PM

413 posts, read 1,588,884 times
Quote:

Nope. Just speaking from experience. BTW, have you ever lived in Utah ? Irman is right. Let it go.

Old 09-22-2015, 04:23 PM

243 posts, read 628,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYtoVT View Post
Nope. Just speaking from experience. BTW, have you ever lived in Utah ? Irman is right. Let it go.
26 years. Too bad you had that experience. Actions like that shouldn't be representative of members of the church.

Old 09-23-2015, 02:22 PM

455 posts, read 388,504 times
Quote:

Actually, now that you mention it they were very passionate about their handcart hike last month. I was really interested in their experience and asked all about it, wife was excited to share the details but hubby had this really weird look on his face (forced fake smile) and wouldn't say a word. Had his arm on wife's elbow the whole time. I walked away feeling a little strange and that was the beginning of the snub. A shame, really. Oh well, I'm over it, life is too short to be around people that don't like you I'm sure I will find more deserving people to bring over my made from scratch pumpkin pie this holiday season. LOL

Old 09-23-2015, 04:05 PM

388 posts, read 549,035 times
How fascinated can one be by the handcart thing? Maybe they thought you were taking the ****? I know if anyone talks handcart etc to me that my eyes would totally glazed over.

Old 09-28-2015, 10:15 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,931,036 times
What on Earth is a 'handcart hike'?

Old 09-29-2015, 07:04 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
What on Earth is a 'handcart hike'?
People re-create the pioneers struggles, dressing in vintage clothing styles and pushing a handcart with their belongings. They camp out as well as eat what the pioneers ate.

Old 09-29-2015, 09:25 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,697,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cayennev8 View Post
Actually, now that you mention it they were very passionate about their handcart hike last month. I was really interested in their experience and asked all about it, wife was excited to share the details but hubby had this really weird look on his face (forced fake smile) and wouldn't say a word. Had his arm on wife's elbow the whole time. I walked away feeling a little strange and that was the beginning of the snub. A shame, really. Oh well, I'm over it, life is too short to be around people that don't like you I'm sure I will find more deserving people to bring over my made from scratch pumpkin pie this holiday season. LOL
Are they perhaps aliens?
Your description of the hubby's fake smile during the wife's retelling of their handcart episode gave me a flashback to something that happened in an episode of the old "Heroes" tv show.
Anyway, that short experience with his hand (a controlling force) on his wife's elbow is just too odd for comfort given that their "freeze" behavior began after that point.
I'd let it/them go & move on.

Old 09-29-2015, 01:02 PM

9,372 posts, read 6,975,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
People re-create the pioneers struggles, dressing in vintage clothing styles and pushing a handcart with their belongings. They camp out as well as eat what the pioneers ate.
This plus I think it goes along with with the local utah holiday (days of 47) when everyone goes to rodeos, eats jello deserts, and fireworks go pow.

I decided to work that day and take another day as a flex day. My coworkers thought I was crazy and were even offended when I told them the holiday meant less than nothing to me.

I also know that bountiful is really big into the handcart festivity and even does their own parade around it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area