Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2015, 08:07 AM

3 posts, read 2,534 times

Advertisements

Good Morning,
We are planning a move to Salt Lake City for next summer. We have already made a couple trips to check out various areas. We're looking for developments that have at least 1 acre lots. I work near the airport and would like to stay under 45 minute commute. We really like one of the developments near Heber but I think the drive might be a bit long. We have spend months searching the internet for large developments and are not turning up much. We would like to stay under 600k, once we put a small rambler home on the lot. If you know of any developments with large lots, we would appreciate it.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2015, 11:16 AM

36 posts, read 63,703 times
Hi, Radarvector! I live in Millcreek Township in SLC. I'm not that familiar with specific housing developments as far out as you're looking, but here are a couple of general thoughts. You have the right idea in that, if you want a lot that big for any kind of reasonable price, you're probably going to be outside of Salt Lake Valley (though some places in the burgeoning southwest corner of the valley, such as Bluffdale or Herriman, might sneak under your budget cap).

The commute from Heber to SLC proper is a hefty one (40-45 minutes without traffic to most parts of the city), but there are plenty who do it! If your prospective work is on the East side, Heber becomes more attractive, of course. If your work is on the West side (including the airport or NWS office), Tooele and the surrounding towns, such as Stansbury Park, become a more attractive option (and your house on large lot would probably come out quite a bit cheaper on that side).

Sorry I don't have more specifics, but I'm a tiny-yard-in-the-middle-of-town kind of guy, which means I get to be close to everything, but the drawback is I get to be...well, close to everything, including my next-door neighbors.

Old 10-23-2015, 02:05 PM

2,619 posts, read 7,031,071 times
Emigration Canyon? But building up there would likely be more than $600 and the idea of a rambler up there... uhh.... doesn't quite compute.

Old 10-23-2015, 02:07 PM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times
Might there be someplace out in Tooele county?

Old 10-23-2015, 02:18 PM

388 posts, read 548,945 times
Draper, Salt Lake County, Utah land for sale - 1 acre at LandWatch.com

I thought Draper would have had a lot of 1 acre lots based on historical set up and just looking around the neighbourhood, surprisingly there are not that many. Whether you could get to the airport in good time in rush hour I am not sure. Outside of rush hour it should be a pretty decent 30 mins drive. Generally Draper wouldn't be my choice but if you want an acre but still be within spitting distance of civilisation, it is a decent option. Some areas are just rebuilding on the old big lots which is nice to see but there is no doubt that Draper's future is more high density housing rather than mcmansions on land.

Old 10-23-2015, 02:24 PM

762 posts, read 2,118,198 times
Tooele County would be a much more affordable and nearby option for a rambler on a one-acre lot.

Old 10-23-2015, 02:39 PM

36 posts, read 63,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffeequeen View Post
Draper, Salt Lake County, Utah land for sale - 1 acre at LandWatch.com

I thought Draper would have had a lot of 1 acre lots based on historical set up and just looking around the neighbourhood, surprisingly there are not that many. Whether you could get to the airport in good time in rush hour I am not sure. Outside of rush hour it should be a pretty decent 30 mins drive. Generally Draper wouldn't be my choice but if you want an acre but still be within spitting distance of civilisation, it is a decent option. Some areas are just rebuilding on the old big lots which is nice to see but there is no doubt that Draper's future is more high density housing rather than mcmansions on land.
Yeah, I work in Draper and this is spot on. It's growing and it's very nice, but what they've been building is a pretty typical suburban feel. Like the east side got its very own Herriman. Not a place with ramblers on sprawling lots.

Old 10-23-2015, 08:32 PM

3 posts, read 2,534 times
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll start looking towards Tooele county. It doesn't even have to be in a development, as long as we are within a 20-30 minute drive of target and some restaurants.

Old 10-23-2015, 08:46 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,758,372 times
Indeed I'd say your best bet for both a reasonable commute as well as lots of land the area called "Erda" on the way to Tooele is the best. They offer 1-5 acre lots. (most are actually 5) and still somewhat reasonable in price. Lot's of horse property that way and room to breath still

Old 10-24-2015, 04:01 PM

2,502 posts, read 6,972,575 times
Yes, Erda and Lakepoint would be your best bet. We have a selection of restaurants out here, albeit most of them are chains. No Target, but a wider variety of restaurants and a Target is only about a 25 minute drive to 5600 West in West Valley.

There are also some one acre lots in a subdivision called Pondarosa Estates in Stansbury Park. If you are doing a search via zip code, 84074 encompasses all of Stansbury, Erda and Lake Point along with Tooele itself.

I live in Stansbury myself. If you have any questions, I'd be glad to answer them as best I can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area